Actual Print Speed...

kdw75

We are currently using a Xerox C75, and while it spits the pages out at the rated speed, per the CED, it has regular times where it will stop feeding and do, what is described as, "quality adjustments". So while it is rated for 75ppm on 20# bond, you may only achieve 72ppm, and on some sizes and weights, the stops seem to be even more frequent.

I am wondering if the Xerox Color Press 1000 does the same thing, or if it actually prints continuously. I had noticed in the documentation, they say the C75 prints at UP TO 75ppm, while the Color Press 1000 says something more definite, on the output speed. For that matter, I am even curious about the J75 in productivity mode, does it have the periods where it stops feeding sheets to do quality adjustments, or whatever it is actually doing?

Last edited:
Ha Ha!! The magical word there in your discourse is "Upto"… our printer can print "Upto 300gsm" heavy weight stock…. "Upto 60ppm" and so forth - watch how nervous the sales guys get when you try and remove the "Upto" and pin them down to commit to a sustainable continuous specification… the word "Upto" seems to release them from responsibility when the machine does not perform as spec'd.

If there is one thing Ive learnt in the world of digital print it's overkill. If you want to print a lot of pieces on very thick stock, get the machine that machine on stuff much thicker … not the one that the manufacturer as tried to push every spec' to within a millionth of what is actually true and attainable.

This doesn't answer your question at all I know - but I just love that word "Upto"…

It took me four years to get people where I work to stop telling customers that a lead-time was "Upto ten days" for something that we outsourced - Now we just say "Ten Days" - Honesty - and that is what it boils down to.

Honesty.

Ha Ha!! The magical word there in your discourse is "Upto"… our printer can print "Upto 300gsm" heavy weight stock…. "Upto 60ppm" and so forth - watch how nervous the sales guys get when you try and remove the "Upto" and pin them down to commit to a sustainable continuous specification… the word "Upto" seems to release them from responsibility when the machine does not perform as spec'd.

If there is one thing Ive learnt in the world of digital print it's overkill. If you want to print a lot of pieces on very thick stock, get the machine that machine on stuff much thicker … not the one that the manufacturer as tried to push every spec' to within a millionth of what is actually true and attainable.

This doesn't answer your question at all I know - but I just love that word "Upto"…

It took me four years to get people where I work to stop telling customers that a lead-time was "Upto ten days" for something that we outsourced - Now we just say "Ten Days" - Honesty - and that is what it boils down to.

Honesty.

Coming from offset presses, I was used to machines under-promising. Many of our presses will run larger and heavier stock than they actually advertise.

deep deep down under our sunshiny smiles we hate you offset print guys - but only cos we're super jealous - digital print has opened up such a big can of worms in terms of flexibility and customer expectations - offset just says - this is what we can do - can't do - but my word look how cheap you can get it -

deep deep down under our sunshiny smiles we hate you offset print guys - but only cos we're super jealous - digital print has opened up such a big can of worms in terms of flexibility and customer expectations - offset just says - this is what we can do - can't do - but my word look how cheap you can get it -

The repairman likes me though. As a pressman, I tend to take better care of the Xerox, and fix some of the problems without calling him. Lol

We are currently using a Xerox C75, and while it spits the pages out at the rated speed, per the CED, it has regular times where it will stop feeding and do, what is described as, "quality adjustments". So while it is rated for 75ppm on 20# bond, you may only achieve 72ppm, and on some sizes and weights, the stops seem to be even more frequent.

I am wondering if the Xerox Color Press 1000 does the same thing, or if it actually prints continuously. I had noticed in the documentation, they say the C75 prints at UP TO 75ppm, while the Color Press 1000 says something more definite, on the output speed. For that matter, I am even curious about the J75 in productivity mode, does it have the periods where it stops feeding sheets to do quality adjustments, or whatever it is actually doing?

We have both an 800 and a C75. The 800 will have one image quality adjustment per hour of run time on average. You can have your technician adjust that frequency btw on either machine. The Color Press does not adjust as much as the C75 but with any printer this all depends on run length. If you are doing a bunch of 5 minute runs the C75 is going to be better; if you are doing 1-2 hour runs the Color Press will be better. Reason being that the image quality adjustments will happen when a job completes/starts. The adjustment time might be 30-60 seconds on a C75 but 1-2 minutes on a Color Press.

One word - Heat

One word - Heat

Well, as you know, (or perhaps you do not ) in this Xerox system - the imaging head requires that the paper be a certain temperature so the toner will adhear to the substrate - in simplest terms, thicker paper takes longer to heat, so, printing is slower.

In the engineering world, this is called a burn table. Xerox is not the only manufacturer who depends on warming the paper to work, but you will not see such differences in throughput - depending on stock thickness - on an HP Indigo ( for example )

Hope that helps.

I know with the konica c8000 theres a setting that just keeps it running without doing calibration checks halfway through a job and slowing things down, we changed it and it didnt go to well, toner came off the page, colours shifted etc, best to let it run its course, theres a reason they put that into the machine.

see this post, this is what we tried:

http://printplanet.com/forums/digit...nding-too-uch-time-warming-up-very-frequent/2

note the last point:

2. If quality suffers, return to the original settings.

thats what we got, i would assume the xerox would be similar.

One thing i can say about the c8000 is they do run pretty fast regardless of stock, an 80gsm bond paper job is pretty much as fast as a 300gsm matt paper, the machine always pisses around adjusting no matter what the stock.

Last edited:
"I am wondering if the Xerox Color Press 1000 does the same thing, or if it actually prints continuously."

Yes, Xerox color presses do the same thing....:)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back