Double Page Spread

goodwill

Is there a way to print a DPS booklet w/a Xerox Docucolor 242? If so, pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaassssssseee help. Potential client brought me Photoshop files. I converted all files to a pdf & attempted to print our a booklet, but it's just now working for me. Even tried taking it into InDesign to use the booklet printing feature, but basically same results.
Any & all help is greatly appreaciated.

Re: Double Page Spread

What do your clients files actually look like? Are they spreads as in page 2 and 3 on the same PDF page? Page 4 and 5 together etc...?

If that was the case, I'd duplicate all the pages in the pdf, crop the odd pages in from the right and crop the even pages in from the left. Then you're left with a proper one-'page'-per-'page' pdf so you can use your impo software's saddle-stitch scheme.

Thx for the reply.... The client actually created the spread using photoshop. The spread is done as an 11 x 17 (both pages fitting on the one big 11x17). The image has been flattened. The client has graphics that start on the left & follow over to the right side of the 11x17 ( which is supposed to be their 2nd page. I did some research on the web & to my knowledge, this is called a "Double Page Spread". The spread is supposed to duplex. The full booklet consist of 3 full (11x17) pages with a cover & all pages are to be printed on both sides, folded & stapled. I can not for the life of me figure out how to make the Docucolor 242 do this in one pass.

If I or they do this +(If that was the case, I'd duplicate all the pages in the pdf, crop the odd pages in from the right and crop the even pages in from the left. Then you're left with a proper one-'page'-per-'page' pdf so you can use your impo software's saddle-stitch scheme.)+ then what about their seamless graphics that run over from the left page to the right?

Attached is a jpg of one of the spreads.

Thanks again for all help.

Edited by: goodwill on May 14, 2008 11:34 PM

> The client has graphics that start on the left & follow over to the right side of the 11x17 (which is supposed to be their 2nd page).
A double page spread can never have an even page on the right... Have you tried to make a mock-up?

So you're job is a 12 page saddle-stitched booklet (self-cover?).

Designers should always be wary about wanting their graphics to seamlessly cross over the spine - it's just looking for trouble.

I think this is what you should do:

Create a PDF out of all the pages, duplicate each page once then crop out the right half of the odd pages then the left half of the even pages. You'll have to do a bit of maths to figure out exactly how much to crop it by - it's not exactly half because you still want bleed on the inside, I think, depending on what your imposition software does with the trimbox / bleedbox at the spine (jeez - its too early in the morning for this!). Try with just the cropbox first, not worrying about bleed, just to see if it works. You've then got a PDF of 12 pages and you can set your RIP / impo software to 'saddle-stitch.'

Something like that...

Well, I had the designer re-design the layout as "single" sheets instead of the D.P.Spreads. They sent the file over as a pdf. I imposed the pages using Imposer Plus, printed document & fairly same undesirable result!!!! My saleperson from Xerox came by and created an 8 page document (11x17) landscaped using MS Office Word > Copied each existing DPS to to a page & WAAALLLAAAAAAA.... it worked. Albeit when the machine printed & folded the job, it folded inside out > Then the guy reversed the page order manually & everything printed perfect.

The next step is to figure out how to insert a heavy stock page cover during the run & have it fold & staple.

Sorry for sending you in the wrong direction! Single pages are all that work for my software... At least it's working now. Good luck on the covers.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back