I need help choosing a printer

Pondicoco6

Registered Users
Someone on a print-related LinkedIn group mentioned something about new HP printer technology which makes this same printer significantly better than other tabletop HP printers because it's so much more economical in its ink use. I need it to produce fairly small serif type on 88# uncoated card stock at a competitive ink-use rate. I think this is a color laser printer. I'd be printing short runs - between 50 and 100 sheets - both sides with minimum total coverage on an 8.5 x 11 sheet. Text only on 1 side and a 1" x 1" QR code on the other. If anyone knows about this I'd be grateful for any/all info. on this printer or any other printer that has excellent registration. Good registration is a must since the type has to be placed in exact relation to 4 foil-stamped logos to yield 4 standard sized business cards per letter-sized sheet.
Thanks,
David

This printer might be the HP OfficeJet Pro X551dw, with its static printhead. The whole technology called PageWide, and if you take a look into the white papers, it's pretty advanced stuff on the desktop.

The ink economy information may come from the fact that Asian companies jumped onto the bandwagon very quickly, producing continuous ink solutions for the beast.

The print resolution is 1200 dpi, which is also quite promising, if true. I have no info on registration and the robustness of the device, though.

If you need tight registration, use a commercial printer or get a machine yourself. I don't think these desktop printers are rated to run paper that heavy in auto-duplex mode, let alone with tight registration. It's like trying to race against late 90's Ferraris with your new 2015 Corvette. Just because it's new and has awesome technology, doesn't mean it'll be able to keep up with machines that are built for a specific purpose.

PageWide is a very impressive technology. I was surprised HP did not have it on display at the Graph Expo. Only a second or two for Arch D prints in black OR full color is going to revolutionize the repro side of printing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back