Versant 2100 envelope printing?

wonderings

Would like to hear peoples reviews of the Versant 2100 when it comes to printing envelopes. Do you need special digital envelopes or can you pretty much run anything? How is the feeding of these envelopes? I assume it runs through the bypass tray? Any issues or does it run pretty well?

We've run 9 x 12 booklet flap, 6 x 9 booklet flap, #9, #10 non-window (haven't tried a window yet), A-7's (5.25 x 7.25), and, even A-2's (4 3/8 x 5 1/4). We ran them all from the main feeder tray (not the by-pass tray) and, they ran beautifully. The A-2's were smaller than the min specs for the machine, so, they tended to jam every once in while, but, it was a small run, so, we pushed through it. The normal run lengths of the other envelopes were 2,500 - 5,000. Had a little problem with the flaps on the #10's (they kept getting bent), but, flipped the envelope to run landscape (feed from the long edge, flap-first) and that fixed the problem. Did not acquire the machine specifically to run envelopes, but, it's a definite plus.

-Best

MailGuru

We've run 9 x 12 booklet flap, 6 x 9 booklet flap, #9, #10 non-window (haven't tried a window yet), A-7's (5.25 x 7.25), and, even A-2's (4 3/8 x 5 1/4). We ran them all from the main feeder tray (not the by-pass tray) and, they ran beautifully. The A-2's were smaller than the min specs for the machine, so, they tended to jam every once in while, but, it was a small run, so, we pushed through it. The normal run lengths of the other envelopes were 2,500 - 5,000. Had a little problem with the flaps on the #10's (they kept getting bent), but, flipped the envelope to run landscape (feed from the long edge, flap-first) and that fixed the problem. Did not acquire the machine specifically to run envelopes, but, it's a definite plus.

-Best

MailGuru

Thanks! We are definitely not upgrading because of it, but it is an added bonus. Is this from the high capacity feeder tray you are running this? I am assuming then that you would be able to load it right up to the top and run them that way? I was originally thinking it would have to use the bypass tray, which would really only be practical for small runs unless someone was standing there and feeding the machine.

Yes, from the high capacity tray (tray 6). There is an "L-Shaped" envelope alignment attachment that comes with the machine. Just drop it in, measure to your envelope size, lock it down wherever you want (simple thumb-screw-like knob) load your envelopes, and let-er rip. We've run both side and diag seam. Does not leave any impression marks on the seams or flap.

Yes, from the high capacity tray (tray 6). There is an "L-Shaped" envelope alignment attachment that comes with the machine. Just drop it in, measure to your envelope size, lock it down wherever you want (simple thumb-screw-like knob) load your envelopes, and let-er rip. We've run both side and diag seam. Does not leave any impression marks on the seams or flap.

Thanks for the info, we will be talking to Xerox tomorrow to see what we can do with getting rid of this J75 and stepping up to something in the Versant series, hopefully the 2100 as we cannot wait till May for the Versant 80i.

Do you have a part number by any chance for the "L-Shaped" envelope alignment attachment? Or can you post a picture?

Found it.

More info here.

http://onlinesupport.fujixerox.com//driver_downloads/V80_UG_Eng.pdf
Check Page 115 to 120

The 2100 must be the same. Not documented?

Installed on the Versant 2100. Mine was stored under tray 7.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

I went and checked the HiCap on the 770. That "L-Shaped" envelope alignment attachment also exists on the 770.

So how did you find out about it?

I don't recall ever seeing any documentation about it until I looked at the Versant 80 pdf. No analyst, technician, or salemans has every mention it, or knew anything about it when asked

So how did you find out about it?

I don't recall ever seeing any documentation about it until I looked at the Versant 80 pdf. No analyst, technician, or salemans has every mention it, or knew anything about it when asked

Our Xerox System's Analyst, the person that trained us on the machine showed it to us. As luck would have it, on our first day of training, we had a small 6x9 envelope job to run. He showed us how to set it up and use the attachment to seat the envelopes snuggly in the hi-cap feeder tray.

We had our Versant 2100 installed yesterday. I am playing around with it today, was creating some profiles for the stock library. I am trying to print on a #10 envelope (9.5 x 4.125) and am having zero luck so far. I made a stock profile for the envelope and am trying to feed it from tray 7 (bottom high capacity feeder). It always errors out. "Output Tray [Right Middle Tray] does not support selected Media"

Not sure what I am doing wrong here, everything else I have set works properly and have the envelopes put in the tray like the image in this thread shows.

I agree to the top tray for our J75's way of printing envelopes, the stacker will keep 10-20 envelopes in a stack before outputting them, so since the flap is always on the trailing edge, the stacker's grippers typically mark up/destroy the envelope flaps, so the only way to output is top tray. Usually they don't have enough force when output to full exit even the top tray, so someone has to manually take each sheet out.

Kind of off topic, but I was having a real hard time running 4 Bar envelopes yesterday through the J75 (flap out). The gum was causing too much friction before the fuser and the very tip of the flap was actually getting caught in the last guide before the toner is applied. I tried productivity mode to kind of force them through faster, to no avail. Anyone have thoughts? They were Mohawk Loop Straw 70# Text, with baronial flaps. I was running them at 151-176 gsm. I ran the same thing but in A7 size right before as variable data for wedding invites, those were fine. Decided just to run them offset on Monday (since the RSVP's were static) to make everyone's live easy, but I can't help feeling someone here may know more about it than I do.

Also, if you want to throw in your current pricing for digital and variable digital envelopes (social and business), how your process usually goes running them, and stock preferred, that would be great.

Tray 6 should feed #10 envelopes just fine and does for me. What kind of feeding problems did you have with tray 6?

Tray 6 should feed #10 envelopes just fine and does for me. What kind of feeding problems did you have with tray 6?

It is not so much the tray as it is the computer not letting me print. I get this message:
Output Tray [Right Middle Tray] does not support selected Media

Are you able to show me how you set your envelopes in the stock library? I am wondering if I have done something wrong in there.

Tray 6 is not an output tray and has nothing to do with that message. You have to set the job output for Top Tray not the Stacker Tray which is what that message refers to. Don't know why the call the Stacker Tray [Right Middle Tray] which ends up being confusing.

Tray 6 is not an output tray and has nothing to do with that message. You have to set the job output for Top Tray not the Stacker Tray which is what that message refers to. Don't know why the call the Stacker Tray [Right Middle Tray] which ends up being confusing.

Oh that makes sense, I was thinking from the feed end, not the exit end of the machine. I will give that a try, thanks!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back