Versant 2100 FWA alignment...

kdw75

Our full width array works so so for alignment, but I always seem to have to fine tune it, and usually, it reduces the image, when it doesn't need to, as well as adjusting the parallelogram of the sheet, when it shouldn't. I usually have to go in and set both back to zero, then it is pretty good. We run tons of brochures, with critical fold points. Am I expecting too much, or do you think we have a problem with our machine?

The FWA is so fast, but I just wish it was more accurate.

I could be wrong, but, I don't think the FWA has anything to do with alignment. To my knowledge, the Full Width Array is for color calibration and consistency. There are separate adjustments for alignment, but, I don't think it has anything to do with the FWA

I could be wrong, but, I don't think the FWA has anything to do with alignment. To my knowledge, the Full Width Array is for color calibration and consistency. There are separate adjustments for alignment, but, I don't think it has anything to do with the FWA

IN the Versant 2100 the FWA is used for alignment calibration and it works very well... at least for us it does. Usually gets it very close, if not dead on.

We have the FWA on our 1000i and it's excellent. It does auto alignment and color calibration with the click of a button. The alignment is usually spot on. Never have to do any tweaking.

We use our FWA on both our 1000i machines. It usually works pretty good, but I have found that if one side of the sheet has a bunch of coverage and the other does not, the auto alignment does not work. I think it is due to the auto alignment having very minimal coverage on both sides unlike the art.

We use our FWA on both our 1000i machines. It usually works pretty good, but I have found that if one side of the sheet has a bunch of coverage and the other does not, the auto alignment does not work. I think it is due to the auto alignment having very minimal coverage on both sides unlike the art.

Been awhile since I ran the FWA but doesn't it allow you to specify coverage?

EDIT: Guess it doesn't let you vary the coverage over the sheet though which is your point.

Last edited:
Our full width array works so so for alignment, but I always seem to have to fine tune it, and usually, it reduces the image, when it doesn't need to, as well as adjusting the parallelogram of the sheet, when it shouldn't. I usually have to go in and set both back to zero, then it is pretty good. We run tons of brochures, with critical fold points. Am I expecting too much, or do you think we have a problem with our machine?

The FWA is so fast, but I just wish it was more accurate.

Same here. It gets you close but for it to work perfectly you have to have a perfectly cut sheet. Seems it would work better if it's priority was magnification and not 10mm edges.

FWA alignment is perfect on my 1000i, but I run a alignment profile for every tray, even when using the same stocks.

No Title

Your FWA should give you very accurate results, on different stocks and different sizes. I suspect something is on the scan bar or on the alignment mark in the FWA? You should have service come and clean scanner and check to make sure nothing is on the alignment bar / roll.

Attachments

• photo5975.jpg
    photo5975.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
FWA gives accurate results PROVIDED your engineer enables a couple of NVM settings.
Typically, front to back registration procedures on the 2100 with FWA print out test pages. In theory this is good but in the real world we have significant toner coverage which in turn affects paper shrinkage, skew and scaling.
To resolve this problem, you will be required to login in as the engineer and enable a couple of NVM's to get the best accuracy possible from the FWA.
759-500 value will read 3 - change to 2
759-501 value will read 3 - change to 2
You will now have K strips on your FWA test sheets that simulate 75% coverage on both sides now allowing for the paper to exhibit stretch and skew. These NVM's are not typically enabled in factory and should be a routine your engineer needs to know.
Additionally, you should be running the FWA calibration on both uncoated and coated stocks and the Auto Density uniformity adjustment on coated mid-weight stocks BEFORE calibrating your RIP.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back