Ink Coverage

S

SE Printer

This is a 350gsm uncoated stock.

Using a versant 80

The image attached shows printer settings .

enhanced text
max printer density disabled
image smoothing disabled
text & graphics quality - normal

We have since printed again using Printer settings:

Max printer density enabled
150 dot (200 and other settings just cause the image to look SO grainy/dark)
image smoothing enabled
Text & Graphics quality - best

MANUAL DUPLEX

Tested the image transfer adjustment set it to higher then lower and couldn't see any difference to the ink coverage.

Also tried slowing the paper down through the fuser to the lowest thinking this would work but it didn't improve things

its definitely better but not as good as we would have hoped!

Is it just the uncoated and weight stock?

Can anyone suggest anything else to try - its so frustrating!

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 196
i wonder if you tried a different paper setting if yo'd get different results. i've had to use the matte or cast coated selections a couple of times to get things to print smooth. also, are you using precut stock, or paper from a ream/box? you might try another ream or even another box. believe it or not, i've had that work as well.

This looks like mottling due to paper finish on a toner device. I would look for a super smooth if you need it to be uncoated.

Yes the actual paper was Edixion 350gsm ..... running uncoated - will try the cast coated , matte settings etc and see if this improves things! Many thanks!

Yes the actual paper was Edixion 350gsm ..... running uncoated - will try the cast coated , matte settings etc and see if this improves things! Many thanks!

It's a paper designed for offset! What else were you going to expect? Geez I swear some of you printers would put coreflute through your machines if you could! And that's after trying to run corrugated iron!

Here's your non-digital paper..... https://www.antalis.co.uk/business/home/popular-brands/edixion-uncoated-paper--offset-p.html

Changing the paper settings will do no good. Change the PAPER to a digital sheet. Yes, it will cost more for the paper, but you will save twice the cost not having to spend time fiddle farting with settings and wasting sheets with bad prints. No matter what your paper salesman say's there IS a difference between Offset and Digital sheets, particularly in moisture content.

Paper for offset presses contains tiny specs of paper dust and impurities on the surface. These specs do not interfere with print quality during the offset process, BUT, try running it through a digital press, and, well, the picture you posted tells the story. As Craig stated, only run digital sheets through a digital press.

Paper for offset presses contains tiny specs of paper dust and impurities on the surface. These specs do not interfere with print quality during the offset process, BUT, try running it through a digital press, and, well, the picture you posted tells the story. As Craig stated, only run digital sheets through a digital press.

Guru . . . we have run the same sheet on both our Heidelbergs and our Xerox 770 . . nary a problem . . . at least not related to that . . . Oh . . and by the way SE . . . its toner . . not ink.

Guru . . . we have run the same sheet on both our Heidelbergs and our Xerox 770 . . nary a problem . . . at least not related to that . . . Oh . . and by the way SE . . . its toner . . not ink.

Having been doing this for 20+ years running both offset and toner devices I will say without hesitation your statement is plausible.

We should all know there are more things than offset vs digital paper. If you are using a commodity offset sheet then you more than likely will see mottling when running it on a toner device UNLESS you compensate with density adjustments on the print engine. Unfortunately many devices in the entry level production do not give you that option OR the operator has no clue they exist or how to make the adjustment.

Now, running a digital sheet will for the most part remove the mottling issue because the sheet is super smooth and the moisture levels are adjusted for fusers.

Many issues boil down to the operator, just like with an offset press. You need to make adjustments daily, just like offset. You can tell a good pressman from a bad one by watching them make adjustments whether it's chemical or mechanical to keep everything consistent. When will people understand you don't just plop down a copier and hire a high school kid and expect high quality prints? (not insinuating this is the issue with the OP) That is why my first post was to change the paper, assuming the operator didn't or couldn't make necessary adjustments.

The paper is stated and given to me for every job that is ran through the machine - I have no say in the matter. Short hand we was advised to only run digital paper but on some jobs it will be for offset. Thats why I come to these forums to try and other info and how best the machines would handle them. OBVIOUSLY it isn't ideal at all. And yeah I am learning every day and find it frustrating that somethings I may not know......

Im not going to justify my understanding but i can't always seek training as it comes from out of house!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

The paper is stated and given to me for every job that is ran through the machine - I have no say in the matter. Short hand we was advised to only run digital paper but on some jobs it will be for offset. Thats why I come to these forums to try and other info and how best the machines would handle them. OBVIOUSLY it isn't ideal at all. And yeah I am learning every day and find it frustrating that somethings I may not know......

Im not going to justify my understanding but i can't always seek training as it comes from out of house!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

SE, while you may have no say in the choice of paper, and, if they continue to have problems, and, if the customers complain . . . whilst you may have not say in it . . you may be able to offer a solution . . .

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back