Versant 3100 and 180

Not seeing what is much different with the Versant 3100. If I read correctly, it can print edge to edge now?
"Allows bold design of full bleed photo with full bleed trimming of paper up to 350 gsm Realises beautiful booklet finish with full bleed trim corresponding to up to 350 gsm*3 . Trims margins at the top, bottom and face edge allowing image-rich design with photo on the full bleed."

Was hoping they would come out with a 5th colour option.

I forget does the v2100 have the duel black toner slots? It does not appear that they left room for another drum/developer station however. The 800/1000 has a space for a 6th station already. If you look at the iGen5 it had to use a lot of engineering to try and jam a 5th color into the printer.

I forget does the v2100 have the duel black toner slots? It does not appear that they left room for another drum/developer station however. The 800/1000 has a space for a 6th station already. If you look at the iGen5 it had to use a lot of engineering to try and jam a 5th color into the printer.

No extra space in the 2100. Just a slot for C M Y K. The 5th colour is not something we would use a whole lot based on what we do now, but it is a geeky want of mine, to be able to play and do some cool things with that 5th colour.

No extra space in the 2100. Just a slot for C M Y K. The 5th colour is not something we would use a whole lot based on what we do now, but it is a geeky want of mine, to be able to play and do some cool things with that 5th colour.

I think it will be cool if/when Xerox does something with their 6th color slot on the 800/1000. I'm surprised they haven't done more with it yet. CMYK-OV or CMYK with both silver and gold. Double slot of clear for built up textured effects like "orange peel".

Last edited:
I personally would like to see the industry evolve to CYMKOGV in digital print, and I think Xerox was testing the possible market for it with the release of the iGen5.

Not seeing what is much different with the Versant 3100. If I read correctly, it can print edge to edge now?
"Allows bold design of full bleed photo with full bleed trimming of paper up to 350 gsm Realises beautiful booklet finish with full bleed trim corresponding to up to 350 gsm*3 . Trims margins at the top, bottom and face edge allowing image-rich design with photo on the full bleed."

It isn't edge-to-edge printing in the way I think that you are thinking about it (no or very minimal white margins on the sheets) like some printers do. What it can do, with the new finishing options, is cut off the white margins... Basically, the redesigned finishers are the largest change I believe. And the new addition is a two-side cutter/creaser that goes right before the booklet maker finisher. Its main function is to create booklets that are face trimmed (thanks to the SquareFold Trimmer, which has been around for a while) and top-and-bottom trimmed thanks to the slitter in the new "Slitter/Creaser" option. And it can also put a create at the fold point of the cover sheet (maybe ALL sheets, I don't know) so that when folded into a booklet, it doesn't crack. Basically, it now offers a fully Xerox-branded integrated booklet making capability that USED to require the third-party Plockmatic booklet maker add-on. It can't do as many sheets, though.

As a comic printer, I'm actually extraordinarily excited about this. I currently use offline Plockmatic equipment, but even so the booklets still need to be trimmed after the fact in a guillotine since nearly ALL comics are full bleed. The booklet maker system can take care of the FACE trim, but not the top and bottom trim. To be able to go straight from clicking "PRINT" to putting them in a box, at a footprint and cost which are both a fraction of the Plockmatic system has really gotten me interested.

Both the Versant 80, 180, 2100 and 3100 have a Xerographic (as well as toner cartridge) design that is extraordinarily similar to the 700/770/C75/etc machines... They redesigned the drums, and all four are the same now rather than a black one and a color style for CMY. Improved PCR cleaning, too, for cleaner prints of longer. And I believe the belt has changed a bit, too. But the cartridges are identical to the Doc 250700/770 style. (Except of course they are "keyed" differently so they aren't interchangeable. The 80/2100/180/3100 use a new toner. It is EA-Eco, like the 700/800/1000, but it is more matte.

So there will never be a fifth color for these engines without a complete and total redesign. In other words, a whole different machine. There are zero provisions in these machines for the future addition of a 5th or 6th color.

The way I see it is that each level of machine will eventually get the tech that the level above it has. So the c70's are what the J75 used to be, the V2100 are what the 1000 used to do and the 1000 borrowed a bit of a paper path design from the iGen I believe. The v2100 has the FWA alignment that originally was a 1000 design. The 1000i has taken IGen style approach with the extra color stations. Look for xerox's next design in their mid production line to include the metallics or a clear, and the 1000 comparable line to go with orange or green and probably a bump in speed.

Again, just the way I see it.

The way I see it is that each level of machine will eventually get the tech that the level above it has. So the c70's are what the J75 used to be, the V2100 are what the 1000 used to do and the 1000 borrowed a bit of a paper path design from the iGen I believe. The v2100 has the FWA alignment that originally was a 1000 design. The 1000i has taken IGen style approach with the extra color stations. Look for xerox's next design in their mid production line to include the metallics or a clear, and the 1000 comparable line to go with orange or green and probably a bump in speed.

Again, just the way I see it.

Makes sense and seems to happen everywhere in every industry. Cars for example, used to be high end cars, or at least pricier add ons for things like built in Nav or Bluetooth. Now it is commonplace in just about every new vehicle out there... at least bluetooth. Nav is trickling down a bit slower.

just an update on this. we got a new xerox sales rep in our area and he came in yesterday to give us the dog and pony show. i asked him what was coming down the pike, and he said this machine was next in line (180/3100 series machines) but that "he wasn't supposed to talk bout it yet, that is hadn't been announced." i kind of played stupid but he said something should be announced in the next few weeks or so. so maybe we'll finally see it. interestingly, i asked him straight away about the banner feed option and he said that would be enabled by default. hadn't heard of that before, but we've all been discussing it. we'll see if it's on the u.s. shipping model. he said they had been "beta testing it in asia." the top/bottom trimming is another attachment, the two-knife trimmer and i'm not sure but i think it goes in the station before the square fold trimmer. with the new more compact finisher on this series, it might be possible to add both of these trimmers but i imagine you're still going to end up with a heck of a footprint. and then of course, cost. i doubt i'll be able to get the higher-ups to swing it, but a full-bleed, trimmed down booklet would be pretty freakin' awesome...

I am really surprised they are marketing this as the 3100, when the only real differences seem to be in the finisher. The print engine appears to be the same.

Xerox did release the Versant 3100 and Versant 180 today. Both are capable of simplex printing 13" x 26" . . .

https://www.xerox.com/digital-print...s/color-printing/xerox-versant-3100/enus.html
https://www.xerox.com/digital-print...ss/color-printing/xerox-versant-180/enus.html

We signed a contact on a 2100 last week (for delivery in June) with an agreement that if the 3100 came out and we wanted it we could switch.
We're waiting to hear back from our rep to see if the pricing is reasonable . . . .

I see its appeared on the Ireland website too. Lists as 660mm in length but Advanced capacity feeder seems to say to 488mm? Probably a typo,

We got the Versant 80 last Nov, gonna contact them and see can they unlock the 660mm option now that it comes as standard on this.

Do any of the finishing units limit this option not being activated?

Looks like the V180 has 350 gsm auto duplex. Neato.

I checked the EX 180 print server specs - still using the fourth generation of i5 processors and only 4 GB of RAM. Pretty measly for something we spend $20k on, when we should be seeing i7 and 16+ GB of RAM, unless the Fiery apps are still 32-bit (which would be a major red flag). Also it runs Windows 8.1? Come on EFI.

I think I'll still keep my J75 over upgrading to the V180 and the EX server, even though the new fusing and 350 gsm capabilities are enticing.

Last edited:
I see its appeared on the Ireland website too. Lists as 660mm in length but Advanced capacity feeder seems to say to 488mm? Probably a typo,

We got the Versant 80 last Nov, gonna contact them and see can they unlock the 660mm option now that it comes as standard on this.

On the 80 Yes. Don't know if things will change with 180 though.

Yes, from what our Xerox rep tells me: "if the GBC Pro Punch is part of the configuration then the V3100 will not be able to print 26” long media"

But we don't usually add that to our color machines because we run everything two-up...

Looks like the V180 has 350 gsm auto duplex. Neato.

I checked the EX 180 print server specs - still using the fourth generation of i5 processors and only 4 GB of RAM. Pretty measly for something we spend $20k on, when we should be seeing i7 and 16+ GB of RAM, unless the Fiery apps are still 32-bit (which would be a major red flag). Also it runs Windows 8.1? Come on EFI.

I think I'll still keep my J75 over upgrading to the V180 and the EX server, even though the new fusing and 350 gsm capabilities are enticing.

I questioned the RAM when we got our Versant 2100, 4 gigs is not a lot especially with it being a cheap and easy upgrade. They stated the computer was made for it and that was all I would need. I have contemplated throughing more RAM in, but not sure it it will make any noticeable difference so just leaving it as is.

I would love to see them move to an SSD rather then a standard hard drive, would make a huge difference just starting up and loading and anything that is accessing the hard drive.

I questioned the RAM when we got our Versant 2100, 4 gigs is not a lot especially with it being a cheap and easy upgrade. They stated the computer was made for it and that was all I would need. I have contemplated throughing more RAM in, but not sure it it will make any noticeable difference so just leaving it as is.

I would love to see them move to an SSD rather then a standard hard drive, would make a huge difference just starting up and loading and anything that is accessing the hard drive.

Hopefully someone at EFI reads this thread! We're getting all sorts of new features on the press, but Windows 8.1, 4 GB of RAM, 4th gen i5 and a HDD is lame. I'd also like to be able to connect a 4k monitor to mine, instead of being limited by the chipset's graphics capabilities - maybe go discrete?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back