PPML files in Command Workstation not shifting entire side of sheet as a single image

Datwangster

Registered Users
After exporting a PPML.zip file into EFI Command Workstation (WS), we impose the file into a 4up Cut & Stack order. The files are 2 sided. Using Image Shift in CWS we then adjust one side of the sheet to make sure it lines up to the other. Strange things are happening in the last month. Regardless of what side we indicate to shift, only the back moves. Now it even gets better - consistently all but one position moves, regardless of how many up it is imposed. And, the images seem to move within the trim box area. So it isn't actually moving the crop marks and image, but just the image within that area. We are running a KM C1100 and have tested both CWS 5.6 and 5.8 on and it happens on both. We also have an older K C7000 that runs CWS 5.3 and it does not happen there. Keep in mind, these files all ran fine up until early January 2017. I have older PPML files that previously ran fine, and now do not. We took the file to 2 other places, and they have the same issue. Has anyone else seen this?

Attachments

• photo6268.jpg
    photo6268.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 207
Call support? This is a very unique issue. Keep calling until they fix it. Call every 4 or 5 hours, saying you are turning customers away. Call EFI right after you hang up with KM.

Seems like a ppml file problem to me. Have you tried exporting the file another way such as a PDF? I've had some strange issues with PPML files and command workstation and I tend to stay away from them.

Thanks InvisSoul, yes, we even tried I think it is called PDF/VT. If it is a flattened PDF it will work, but takes a huge amount of time to process.
The same file works fine on our KM C7000, using CWS 5.3. Strange part is that everything worked fine until about a month ago.

Looks like it must be something with CW. We used to be on 5.3 and I didn't have problems with PPML on that version, but after we upgraded to 5.8 I was having issues with fonts not printing correctly. I'm pointing to CW as having a problem processing the PPML. What are you using or a variable design software?

We use FusionPro 8. The weird thing is we have been doing the same thing for the last 5 years. I'm testing another file today where I am not going to define the bleeds. ALSO, yes it shows up in the preview which is nice that we don't waste click charges. First line of Tech support says he think an update may have come down to the RIP but we really don't see anything that sticks out when he prints the reports our. And after reinstalling it from cloned backups multiple times, and from scratch,we don't have automatic updates turned on either.

The only solution so far is to impose using the FP Imposer and exporting as PPML files. This sounds fine, but now it moves another step in the workflow back into the Art dept. instead of the digital dept. where a lot of times the actual run size is determined at the last minute.

Try Single File VPS. See what happens with that. We have found it works better than PPML with very large chunks of records.

We have narrowed the problem down to Fiery RIP version 2.0. Version 1.0 works fine. We have tested this on 4 separate machines at different offices and the problem has occurred on all. If you are running a Konica C1100 using a Fiery 2.0 RIP, PPML files from FusionPro (any Version) then you probably have the problem too. Also, the feature to define a separate proper drawer and color mode for the covers/body from within Impose for any PDF does not seem to work either. Konica is working on resolving the problem. Please test this if you have this equipment and let your tech support know too - so they know how urgent the problem is to get resolved.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back