Pause Option in Fiery Command Workstation on Fiery FS100 for Xerox J75

jpfulton248

When we run really long jobs that span multiple days we have the need to pause the job at the end of the day and resume the next morning (we shut down every night). The only way we have found to do this is to try to estimate how long X number of runs will take and then just set up the printing of those runs. The next morning we'll set up another set of runs and so on. This is a lot of extra work and very inefficient. Does anybody know if there is simply a pause button or even a stop button in Fiery Command Workstation that will keep track of how many copies are remaining?

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but if you right click the blue bar on the Fiery there are suspend, stop, resume etc. options.

Just let it run out of paper. Reload in the morning. But I guess that won't work if you need to shut it down.

Yeah, the whole thing is that we want to be able to suspend/stop/pause the job, shut down and resume in the morning. It would be so simple for command workstation to just do a countdown and then when you hit pause it updates the "num of copies remaining" so that when you start again you can just choose to resume starting at that number of copies.

Rips are continuously in communication with the printer. While it is possible to "Suspend/Resume" from command workstation, I'm pretty sure that if you physically shut the printer down, the rip would throw an error that the printer is no longer communicating with it. I presume that error would override your "Suspend" and error out the job. I could be wrong, just an observation....................

Why do you want to shut down? As others have said, load up with paper before heading out and when you come in in the morning it is either out of paper or your stacker tray is full. Load and remove paper and continue on. It does not hurt the machine to do this.

Are you slip sheeting these jobs? If so, when I want to stop I simply pull the sleep sheet out and wait for it to finish the manual, it peeps asking for paper and then I take count and cancel if I have to interrupt the job.

MailGuru We shut both the rip and the printer down every night
wonderings We shut down every night because boss's orders. Our building has horrible power (brownouts, blackouts, etc) so we shutdown and unplug everything in our shop every night as a safety measure

MailGuru We shut both the rip and the printer down every night
wonderings We shut down every night because boss's orders. Our building has horrible power (brownouts, blackouts, etc) so we shutdown and unplug everything in our shop every night as a safety measure

I think your biggest problem here is you need to get your power situation figured out. thats the inefficiency in your method, not having to write down on a job slip where you ended a job. The only time we shut down is if we know there's going to be a bad storm.

The issue isn't stopping the machine, it's keeping track of what is remaining to be printed in the job

Oh. It's been a while since I used fiery. On my controller (prismasync) if you move a job to the held queue it will say "set x of y".
I think you might be limited to your current method.

You can look at the job log to see how many you have ran. I have never found a way on fiery to do what you want it to do.

A pen and a piece of paper seem simple enough.
Or when you cancel the job at the end of the night update the quantity in the job properties so it's already to go the next day.
Or you can buy a power filter and get another couple hours of running everyday after you leave.

Almost all of our work is booklets. We print them uncollated and finish offline. Therefore tracking which run you are in, how many you need to print of that run and then which page range of the job you need to resume printing at in the morning is everything but simple.

Any reason why this job is done digitally? Sounds very large not to be more cost efficient with litho or at least a faster digital press.

I understand where you're coming from wanting a simple pause but if the job is really that complicated and spread out I think you're better keeping a written progress, especially if you your building has power issues. Does the power never trip during the day?

This becomes more relevant if you're running VDP work.

I honestly had this exact thought with my J75 last night with long run job that I had to pick up this morning. Maybe I'll call EFI and see if they can implement it into the next version (they're incredibly open to these sorts of things).

As Msaeger said the Fiery job log will tell you everything about that particular job including how many pages printed, copies, timestamps etc. If you're looking at the log in CWS you may need to add columns if you don't see what ur looking for (right click on any column header to add the ones you want) or you can simply export the log as a .csv and import it into excel.

@jpfulton248, If you cancel the job at the machine or the fiery, you can then go into the "Logs" section at the command workstation. There you can view all of the details of the job including how many were ran so far. You might have to scroll over to the right a bit as there are many columns of information.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back