5th color station weigh-in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th color station weigh-in

Before we got our V2100's, Xerox tried to guide me toward an x1000i. Part of the pitch was the 5th color station. I saw the demo, and, I know what it's used for (clear toner, etc.), but, for the life of me, in all the years I've been in business, I've never had a request for it. I mean, it is pretty cool. I now see that other vendors are coming out with the digital printers that have a 5th color station.

Is this actually a feature that one should consider when buying or leasing a new digital press, or, is this just novelty?

Is anyone out there actually using the 5th station in a production environment? If so, what's the application? (maybe I'm not seeing the big picture here)

Originally posted by MailGuru View Post
    Before we got our V2100's, Xerox tried to guide me toward an x1000i. Part of the pitch was the 5th color station. I saw the demo, and, I know what it's used for (clear toner, etc.), but, for the life of me, in all the years I've been in business, I've never had a request for it. I mean, it is pretty cool.
    Customer aren't going to ask you for something that:
    a - they know you don't have
    b - they don't know it exists
    c - they don't understand how it might add value to their projects

Comment

Our clients love it..Application - Watermark on documents, flood coating on flyers and postcards...The flood is great on lighter stock instead of UV/Aqueous. Creating metallic and pearlescent effect
      on business cards and posters. You have to up sale, because the toner and developer are not included in the service contract. You can also adjust the amount of clear it put on the artwork and run a a multiple pass to get get a raise effect on the image or letters. It also increases the depth and sheen on solid colors. We apply spot over certain areas of a photo to make it stand out. To get it going we sent custom samples to all our clients.

Comment

If you are a print shop that accepts the files from the client then prints it, it is worthless. If you do any premedia consultation and can get them to design their art with this in mind then you may have a chance of successfully selling it.

Comment

we use it all the time on our Ricoh 7110

Comment

And don't forget you also have the option of Gold or Silver.

Comment

We have the Ricoh with it . . . but they gave us the wrong fiery . . . so a new one is coming in . . . so that we can - looking forward to it!

and BTW we didnt sell much UV coating or foiling before we added that service to our repertory
              "If you think you are too small to be effective
              you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Comment

Originally posted by dabob View Post

and BTW we didnt sell much UV coating or foiling before we added that service to our repertory
                You were able to sell UV coating and foiling before you had those services? Now that's what I call salesmanship! ;-D

Comment

I agree with Gordo. You can make some neat stuff but you need to sell it because the people bringing in the jobs don't even know about it.
                  Warning I am a Ricoh tech.

Comment

Would you like fries with that?

You didn’t know that we served fries? Please take a look at our menu, you may find something in addition to fries that you might like.

Stephen Marsh
                    Comments are personal and my views may not be shared by my employer or partners.

Comment

I still get people walking in my door asking if I do business cards.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post

You were able to sell UV coating and foiling before you had those services? Now that's what I call salesmanship! ;-D
                        Out sourcing . . still outsource spot UV and larger foiling and embossing jobs . . . . but do more in house now and gee whiz . . . we now get jobs from local shops for that which we never did before . . . it just takes the proper patience and getting the word out . . .

and yes I am chuckling at your humor . . .
                        "If you think you are too small to be effective
                        you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Comment

We have clear gold and silver. We actually print quite a lot with those colors, but what everyone is saying is correct. You have to sell it or you won't print it.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig View Post
                            We have clear gold and silver. We actually print quite a lot with those colors, but what everyone is saying is correct. You have to sell it or you won't print it.
                            What types of things are you printing with the special colors.
                            Warning I am a Ricoh tech.

Comment

We do a lot of invitations with Gold and Silver. Most of the clear has been used for security marks and for dimensional print on business cards and invitations. Again, the CSR's and designers need to know how to sell it, or don't waste your money.

Comment

UltimateDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)4OverStandard FinishingKBA
                              UltimateDuplo4OverStandard FinishingKBAKBA

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3410 users online. 61 members and 3349 guests.

Most users ever online was 5,880 at 12:29 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X