B&W Machine suggestions

JeffJ

Looking to take my B&W work off of my Canon Color machine. Need to run 13 x 19 300 gsm. Doing 50-75k a month and growing. Suggestions?

I'd say leave it on your color machine. The quantity and type of paper you need to use can't justify most machines. Most black and white machines don't do well with that type of paper which leaves you with an expensive one that is going to cost you more than you would save in click charges. Probably one of the lowest cost printers that can handle that weight well are the new Ricohs. At least from what I can remember.

The Ricoh is rated to take 360gsm the quality is about like the color machines. The color ones still do better on textured paper. They finally say NCR is supported now.

msaeger
i want RFQ for Ricoh Production Printer.
specs below
maximum paper size: 32 x45 cm
thickness: maximum 400gsm
NCR: supported
4colors

we are in UAE , any advise please

Last edited:
For black & white, we went with the Konica Minolta Pro 1200. We're partial to Xerox, but, they just didn't make a B&W machine that fit our needs.

I have a KM1200 and a Ricoh 8120. If you are running WHITE paper ONLY the Ricoh is great. If you have color paper it is a pain in the butt. The paper catalog is bassackwards too. That is why we kept the 1200 even though it has 16 million prints it is easy to use and will take about any sheet. It doesn't register front to back worth a crap though, the Ricoh is +/- .5mm which is nice. If they fixed the paper color handling and the paper catalog it has potential.

Craig,

Have you tried turning off some of the paper sensors? I have other Ricohs and that seems to help on those. Turning off skew detection helps the most for us.

Craig,

Have you tried turning off some of the paper sensors? I have other Ricohs and that seems to help on those. Turning off skew detection helps the most for us.

You can turn off sensors or adjust the CIS light and run colored paper but I agree with Craig they need to make the paper catalog easier to work with on that model.

I've tried sensors and even had the tech stand there and watch it not run. We ran (or attempted) a job that the image moved a full 1/2 inch from sheet to sheet due to the paper color. Ricoh could have a solid box if they fixed those two items! But if you are a white only shop it is the bomb!

We have An Oce Varioprint 6320, which is overkill for your needs, but I'm pretty sure they make lower models. It's pretty fantastic though, I'm not sure I could ever go back to another style of monochrome. It basically never jams, and the front/back registration is nearly perfect.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back