Offset Digital why so different

Collapse
EFI-Metrix
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I'm sure MailGuru's reasons are correct, two things must be clear: the actual (end-user) price of the machines always covers the product, unlike the SOHO printer arena, where a vendor might actually hand out equipment with a loss, hoping that ink/toner sales will eventually turn the deal into positive. Second: the actual (advertised, billed) price of the parts and toner per the vendor are always grossly inflated. We had two mainboard exchanges in two years on our printer, which would have been 7000 USD each (as per the service technician's statement). Examining those faulty mobos revealed nothing special: this kind of technology can be contracted for 200 USD per piece for a 500 pieces batch at Taiwan. I can imagine that the same is true for the drums, rollers and the toner. As the commercial xerographic technology will (or is) plateau, 3rd party vendors will kick in with much more favourable prices.

Comment

[QUOTE=MitchB;n263617]MailGuru bring up an interesting question that is appropriate regarding Landa printers and their [still] new, proprietary Nano ink. Yes it's probably better, but if changes could be made to enable dual use,"

Mitch . . . I read somewhere that you are a rip engineer . . . apparently you are not a press engineer . . trying to build press that would be able to use both conventional offset/lithography and the new Landa technology would, while I guess could be done . . . what a Rube Goldberg contraption . .. 1st build the LANDA nanography system . . . now that thats working reliably let add on 4 or more ink units, 4 or more water units, the controls systems for borth of those . . . oh and the blanket/impression cylinders and its own paper path while still using the feeder and delivery , oh and lest I forget the IR or UV lamps, or the powder system . . and keeping the powder out of the sensistive parts of the digital machine . .. . . . This thing is to be something that a vivid dreamer might stumble on in the middle of the night but IMHO not in the light of day . . . .

But whom am I to say na . . . go for it - I'll be watching the news for that machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Puch View Post
        While I'm sure MailGuru's reasons are correct, two things must be clear: the actual (end-user) price of the machines always covers the product, unlike the SOHO printer arena, where a vendor might actually hand out equipment with a loss, hoping that ink/toner sales will eventually turn the deal into positive. Second: the actual (advertised, billed) price of the parts and toner per the vendor are always grossly inflated. We had two mainboard exchanges in two years on our printer, which would have been 7000 USD each (as per the service technician's statement). Examining those faulty mobos revealed nothing special: this kind of technology can be contracted for 200 USD per piece for a 500 pieces batch at Taiwan. I can imagine that the same is true for the drums, rollers and the toner. As the commercial xerographic technology will (or is) plateau, 3rd party vendors will kick in with much more favourable prices.

I've been involved with digital print for over 20 years. In that time, I have not yet seen digital print technology "plateau". The last 5 years, alone, has seen some of the best technological advances in digital printing history: 1200 x 1200, 10-Bit resolution using Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Laser (VCSEL) instead of the traditional edge-emitting lasers, Ultra HD resolution, compact belt fuser technology, and tighter registration advances. IMHO, it will never plateau, at least, until they get the Holy Grail of digital print (meeting and exceeding the speed, quality and volume capability of offset). But, they are getting closer every year (take a look at the new frontier of high volume ink jet color digital technologies).

Also, "....this kind of technology can be contracted for 200 USD per piece for a 500 pieces batch at Taiwan. I can imagine that the same is true for the drums, rollers and the toner...." While it is possible, and, not too difficult, to take boards, drums, toner, etc to many different operations in Taiwan, China, or Korea to have them reverse-engineered and then duplicated, the 3rd party vendor would need to set aside an sizable budget for patent infringement litigation

Comment

Ultimate Smartsoft (Presswise)4OverStandard FinishingKBA
        Ultimate 4OverAgfa/EversifyStandard FinishingKBAKBAEFI-Metrix

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2774 users online. 50 members and 2724 guests.

Most users ever online was 5,872 at 11:39 AM on 09-30-2016.

Working...
        X