Oki 931e

Shawnd

Hoping to have a thread we can discuss issues with the Oki 931e since several of us have one or more on here.

One issue I am having is with Temperature adjustments, after about 500 #10 envelopes printing Color or B&W I get pauses of about 15 seconds or so every 75 envelopes, the further I get along in the job the more it pauses and has to do Temperature adjustments, I never have been able to figure this out, tried different print settings to no avail.

I am running on Medium light custom com-10, I had fusing issues with going lighter.

What makes matters worse for me is when it pauses it sometimes throws off the straight shooter feed and I get doubles, which then I have to clear the envelope out and wait for it to restart.

I also get quite a bit of Density Adjusting as I get further into a larger print job, seems like anything over 2000 the printer takes more Density or Adj Temp pauses, the Density pauses can take longer than a minute.

What you are experiencing is common to this Oki model as well as it's previous incarnations, the 9600 and 9800. Unfortunately, there is no remedy.

These printers were never designed for printing lengthy runs of envelopes, or any size under 8.5 x 11" for that matter. What is happening is that the envelopes can't draw off all the residual heat from the fuser rollers because of their smaller dimensional paper surface. Initially it's not a problem, but as the run continues you will reach a point where the printer must pause to dissipate the excess heat. This build-up stems from the ends of the fuser assembly where the envelope surface never makes contact. Print letterheads and it will never pause - print an A2 an it will pause every 5th or 6th envelope.

You can easily prove this: stall the printer by turning off yoiur feeder. Wait 5 minutes and start up again. You will encounter no pausing at first, but the heat will quickly build up and you're back to intermittent printing...

It might help by selecting the lowest heat setting (fastest print speed) as might be possible without encountering ant toner rub-off.

You might try aiming a small fan at the fuser end of the machine. I did this for an old Xerox Docucolor years back that kept pausing in hot weather. It worked well. Try aiming the fan sideways at the exhaust vents to draw off the heat better.

You can easily prove this: stall the printer by turning off yoiur feeder. Wait 5 minutes and start up again. You will encounter no pausing at first

I noticed this, I was wondering if it was a heat issue. When it does a temp adjust then goes into a density adjust right after it half feeds the envelope and throws off the straight shooter making it constant feed envelopes sometimes, but after I clear the jam and the printer sits for a few minutes it will run longer with no pauses.

I will try pointing a fan at it on my next larger run to see if they helps any. I have tried doing a lighter fuser setting and I have fusing issues on the envelopes, so medium light is the lowest I have been able to go and not worry.

I am kinda relieved it isn't a settings issue because I went through everything trying to fix it with no success.

I have tried pointing a fan at the back half and other than it blowing envelopes off the conveyor I have not seen any improvement. Tried updating to the latest firmware and still get 30-50 prints between the temp adjustments. Found some better running envelopes so it doesn't jam after it starts again but still annoying when printing 500+ envelope runs, variable data or static it does the same thing.

Can anyone that uses a Xante chime in, do you have this same issue? The Xante heavyweight looks like a 931e, wondering if they did anything with the firmware?

Nature of the beast so to say. I have moved the majority of my envelopes to inkjet, but still have it for the highest quality customers and runs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back