Meteor Digital Press....

kdw75

Can anyone who has experience with one of these give me your opinions on how you like it? The company we bought our Hamada presses from years ago has been selling these, and they sound pretty good, but I wasn't sure how they compare to the standard leased digital press with a click charge.

Which is there more than one model? I remember there being one that was using a konica printer in it.

Yeah, pretty sure it's a C7000 engine. I looked at one a couple years ago, and the modifications they made to work to have the ability to print on the different substrates, but for us, it just made more sense to just buy it from Konica for much less...Side note about that, we bought a 1070 which replaced the 7000, and after 6 months, Konica could not get the registration within spec and removed it...Maybe the Meteor would have stayed???

I've heard good things about the DP Meteor line. I don't think it has anything to do with Konica (but, I could be wrong). The DP Meteors are built by a French company called MGi. Their US headquarters are here in Melbourne, FL (on the East Coast about an hour away from Orlando). What strikes me about their technology is that their set-up feeding mechanisms are more like a traditional offset press than a typical digital press, and, they will run a 40" long sheet as well as plastics, and pvc. Where they really shine, though, is in their finishers (JET 3D line). Unlike the digital presses today with a 5th color station putting down clear toner to "mimic" spot UV, their finishers are true Spot UV and varnish that really makes the finished product pop. You can find out more about them by googling MGi USA.

BTW: I'm am not associated with MGi in any way. I am partial to Xerox.

I've heard good things about the DP Meteor line. I don't think it has anything to do with Konica (but, I could be wrong). The DP Meteors are built by a French company called MGi. Their US headquarters are here in Melbourne, FL (on the East Coast about an hour away from Orlando). What strikes me about their technology is that their set-up feeding mechanisms are more like a traditional offset press than a typical digital press, and, they will run a 40" long sheet as well as plastics, and pvc. Where they really shine, though, is in their finishers (JET 3D line). Unlike the digital presses today with a 5th color station putting down clear toner to "mimic" spot UV, their finishers are true Spot UV and varnish that really makes the finished product pop. You can find out more about them by googling MGi USA.

BTW: I'm am not associated with MGi in any way. I am partial to Xerox.

They sounded like an interesting product, so I was kind of surprised the more people don't run them. Figured there had to be a downside, like the cost per click being much higher.

They sounded like an interesting product, so I was kind of surprised the more people don't run them. Figured there had to be a downside, like the cost per click being much higher.

I kinda sorta think they don't run a cost per click business model like traditional digital production presses. If they don't, that means that the initial acquisition cost should be higher than a normal digital press manufacturer. Which, could be why you don't hear much about them. That, and, the fact that they have virtually no sales force. I think they work though dealer/distributors and only promote their products at a few trade shows. I really don't know that much about them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back