Xerox 2100 vs C75 Speed...

kdw75

We have a regular job we print, which involves 4-11x17 sheets. The first two are single-sided color, and the last two are two-sided color, then we feed a separator sheet from the inserter. On our C75 it runs this at full speed without any stops or delays, while on our Versant 2100 it seems to have longer delays between the simplex and duplex sheets.

Has anyone else experienced this?

You have a lot longer duplexing paper path with the 2100. You should be able to duplex all the sheets without getting a click charge for the blank side. Check your counters when you do this but I have some jobs that have blank side that I run as duplex that do not give a click with the blank side.

Well, I talked to Level 2 support and they said it was two things that caused this. The first was that i was using the inserter tray, so I switched to another tray, and that shaved 5 seconds off each set. The other reason can't be fixed, as it is caused by the longer paper path of the cooling unit. Apparently the printer needs to clear the paper path before it switches from simplex to duplex.

You have a lot longer duplexing paper path with the 2100. You should be able to duplex all the sheets without getting a click charge for the blank side. Check your counters when you do this but I have some jobs that have blank side that I run as duplex that do not give a click with the blank side.

I will give that a shot. This is a 20,000 sheet run.

That got it running at full speed, but it is charging me two black clicks for the blank backs. The blank backs were added in the rip as blank pages, so I am baffled by this.

I checked a file in ImageViewer I ran about two weeks ago and noticed that the blank pages showed a black separation and the log file showed a black click. I might be wrong about this. Something may have changed since I first did this years ago or I could be thinking about duplexing odd number of pages were the last or missing page is duplexed without a click charge.

Just happened to think about it. What happens when you uncheck the black separation on the blank page in ImageViewer and then save it?

Just happened to think about it. What happens when you uncheck the black separation on the blank page in ImageViewer and then save it?

I am in CWS, and I can't find where you would turn on a separation color. Would you mind telling me where to find that option?

I've done this when I have a booklet to be finished offline. I just create a blank PDF from indesign and insert it where I need it for the covers to print 4/0. It never registers as a click.

Hell, I've even ran booklets 2 up, cut them down and then re-ran them through to fold and staple. Just created the blank PDF and duplicated it and was never charged a click.

Last edited:
I am in CWS, and I can't find where you would turn on a separation color. Would you mind telling me where to find that option?

Right click on your document after it has been RIPed/Processed to get to ImageViewer and the go you blank page. On the right side in ImageViewer you will find the separations listed. This also works great to check if you are get a black click when print both color and B&W in the same document.

I've done this when I have a booklet to be finished offline. I just create a blank PDF from indesign and insert it where I need it for the covers to print 4/0. It never registers as a click.

Hell, I've even ran booklets 2 up, cut them down and then re-ran them through to fold and staple. Just created the blank PDF and duplicated it and was never charged a click.

Initial tests seem to indicate something has changed. All blank pages seem to now give black clicks. Fiery Patch or Engine Software maybe?

I just ran a test. 2 page blank pdf. Printed it duplex. Ran about 5 sheets and the billing click meter did not register any of them as B&W or Color. Im actually getting ready to run a booklet job with blanks on the inside of the covers and will benefit from this. Granted I'm running a 1000i so maybe that has something to do with it, but I figured the standards for clicks would be uniform over all of Xerox's production machines.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back