KM C6000 vs Ricoh C651EX vs Canon C7055

Gnarled Monkey

I (graphic artist/screen printer) have been battling with pulling incolor printing instead of outsourcing. Not doing a ton (@100kannually) but looking to hit a new market and convenience/color control counts for a lot. Most stuff is 12x18/13x19" 100lb cover gloss/uncoat but would like 110lb cover. All machines i've looked at are refurbs. I was originally stuck on the Canon C7055(600K clicks, no fiery, $5k) but the 600K scared me on a light production machineand service click was 3Xs production grades. So I'm now between a KM C6000(250Kclicks, fiery, full finishers and trays, $12K) and Ricoh C651EX(1.5Ml, fiery fully loaded, $10K). I've heard Ricoh has better reg than K/M, but any other pros/cons from users out there? Is fear of 600K clicks on the Canon merited? I could afford the Canon, but would need a lease/loan on the others. Which leads to....

Also wrestling with $1 bouyout vs FMV leases. Is it worth the @$2,500 for a $1 buyout on an older machine?

My biggest fear is I make the move, and any machine will not function properly in my space. No real way to climate control, jumps between 50degrees coldest to 110highest(it takes it toll on me, I can only imagine what its gonna do to a digi press). I was going to build a box/small room that I could try to moderate atleast with a heater and a dehumidifier(I know humidity will destroy print quality). Is this a decent concept, or is a small contained space also gonna kill a machine? I know this is a ton of questions, but any input is greatly appreciated. Im pulling my hair out over here!?!?!?.

I have a c651ex and while 100# gloss cover is over spec for duplexing we do it all the time without much problem. Just a few extra jams but registration is great. I wouldn't think twice about 100,000 a year. That's nothing for the machine. I've actually been thinking about selling it since we don't use it much anymore.

As far as the climate that is quite a temp range. 110 is ridiculous to work in. We used to not have air conditioning and would get a bit more jamming and color variation but at that volume you probably won't have any really long runs that lasts hours so I wouldn't worry too much about the temp and humidity with your volume. It's just going to slow production down a bit and since that volume only comes to a few hours of running a month so I'm guessing time isn't your biggest concern.

One thing to note. Whatever you buy make sure you get a service contract on it.

IMHO, I would always go with an FMV lease. Especially on the older. smaller machines. After an average 5 year lease on a smaller machine, chances are that the FMV would be less than the $2,500 and, you have to ask yourself "After 5 years of banging the hell out of it, do I really want to buy it" anyway?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back