printing on snap pack forms

glenf

Hi All,
This is my first post after finding this online forum and it looks quite useful.
I am a printer mailer and print and mail on a variety of substrates.

Digitally, I print variable projects on Konica 1250, real workhorses. However I have come across a project, an 8.5 x 11 "snap pack mailer" with a 1x3 poly window. This form will not run on my presses due to the multiple sensors that are on the equipment. There is no way to bypass them or even change the direction of paper.It throws all types of codes and the printer stops.
Had the technicians in and bottom line it wont print.

My question out there is does anyone have experience in printing on this type of product and if so what type of printer are you using?

I am thinking that perhaps some higher end tabletop printers might work like HP or Kyocera.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Glen

I'm assuming these snap-packs are printed flat, then go though some type of fold/glue or thermal pressure process for finishing. I don't know of very many toner-based digital printers that would handle that, as, I would think the poly window is going to fool the printer in to thinking that it is at the end of a sheet, starting another sheet. There are lots of printers that will run a window envelope, but, in that scenario, the sensors still can't see all the way through the form due to the back of the envelope. I'm thinking you probably need a high speed ink jet setup (Kirk-Rudy, MCS, Cheshire, etc.) especially at that volume. They still have a sensor that bounces a light beam off a type of reflector tape on the ink jet base to determine end of sheet, but, that sensor is hand adjustable so you can aim it so that it's not looking through the poly window.

The only other suggestion would be to contact the paper supplier of the snap packs and get a recommendation of what type of printer to use.

yes you are correct, the window is what presents the problem, but I do know that there is toner/inkjet equipment that will handle this substrate. It needs to be duplexed a Kirk Rudy etc. would need 11" of print

Is the duplex personalized or static (does this printer need to auto duplex, or, would a manual duplex suffice) ?

definitely needs to auto duplex and variable both sides, right now I had to print the job on a couple of brothers printers (table models) to get the job completed.

......... a Kirk Rudy etc. would need 11" of print

We have (2) Kirk Rudy's. One of them has eight print heads (you can add an extra 4 heads to the original 4 head configuration) and will print 12" of text (each head will handle 1.5"). However, that doesn't solve your duplex problem if it is a personalized duplex.

We have a Pro 1250, and, you're right, they are work horses. We love ours. I wonder if one of the older B&W machines, like a Kodak or Heidleberg DigiMaster 110 or an old KM 1050 might work. Their sensor systems might not be as advanced as the Pro 1250.

definitely needs to auto duplex and variable both sides, right now I had to print the job on a couple of brothers printers (table models) to get the job completed.

I feel for ya. I'll be that was a real PITA

Ya know, glenf, last night I was thinking (I know, I know, I'm not supposed to do that). A lot of B&W printers (especially in-plants for educational institutions) will print transparencies for over head projectors. In that instance, the entire sheet is see-through. In order to accomplish that, there is probably a paper setting that basically turns that sheet-to-sheet sensor off and uses some other method to determine sheet length. You probably have to run them through a by-pass tray also. I couldn't find any info about transparencies on the Pro 1250, but, KM did list some printers that would print transparencies (their Cxxx line, I think)

unfortunately, the 1250 do not have a transparency setting, I believe that the inkjet presses perhaps the Riso, will be able to accommodate this stock

unfortunately, the 1250 do not have a transparency setting, I believe that the inkjet presses perhaps the Riso, will be able to accommodate this stock

Yep, I'll bet the Riso would run that form. Color isn't real good on the Riso's, but, as long as you're just running B & W, it'll probably do the trick. I hope it works out for you.

I print about 200m snap pack a month. Non windowed. We bought a Riso 7050 for them so we could do some cheap color. I had signifigant problems duplexing them in portrait mode due to the preforated edges. We would get folded corners on the front edge and jams. The duplex turnaround seemed to be very sharp? I dont know if this is fixed in the newer models but landscape mode wasnt a solution for us due to driver / software limitations. We preprint and had similar problems to having a window on the Riso. The tech was able to turn off certain sensors so that it would run the job with out machine error. Perhaps konica has a service menu where the sensor can be disabled or a setting for for preprinted stock. Let me know where you end up for a solution. I will be doing some windows at some point and will need a machine to do it on.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back