New Riso ComColor 9360: How much quality improvement?

AllenLea

Ive been doing lots of online research on the Riso ComColor 9360. Riso states they have done many things to improve the print quality (new inks, addition of gray ink, smoothing . . . even a Fiery DFE. Does anyone have any experience with this new 9360? Do you have one? or have you seen any prints? Is the gamut significantly changed from previous models? Does it now compare with toner based digital machines? Thanks in advance for any info you have to share about this new model.

I too have been researching the 9630 for some niche work, and am awaiting some samples from Riso. I would love to hear feedback from anyone with experience using this printer. quality/reliability/service/paperstock etc.

Sign me up as well...I too have been asking the same questions but I've been unable to simply track down a re-seller that can 1) provide me with samples on my stock and artwork and 2) sell and service the machine.

No experience with it on this board. Interesting. Do you suppose that, despite their efforts, its pretty much an inplant print shop product? I believe that was pretty much the case with their previous ComColor models, though there are certainly a few exceptions. The RISO marketing makes it sound like they believe the new 9360 belongs in the commercial print space. Maybe they just haven't gotten any traction yet. Just some thoughts . . .

Lots of experience with Riso ComColors - we are currently on our 3rd generation - the 7150. The 9360 is the latest version. Our understanding is that Riso has "improved" the ink formulation and are also now offering a Fiery RIP with it. Supposed to be increased colour quality but have not seen samples. The info we have rec'd seems like they are targeting the office environment and in plants. We are a small digital print shop and use the Riso ComColor for NCR work (with variable numbering), Envelopes (print quality would be described as "industrial" - but cost of production is minimal so finished product can be offered for very competitive pricing) and variable data can be integrated with envelope runs (very good for mailing work), industrial manuals and course books. Very useful machine to have in the shop but will not "replace" anything. There are lots of YouTube videos showing these in action. If you have the right work for it - can be very profitable. We feed it work with low ink coverage in order to be able to be profitable on it.

Thanks much for sharing the comments and experiences.
Still trying to find out how much the print quality has improved with the 9360 and if the new 9360 compares with toner-based digital presses.
Interesting that no one is commenting that has actually seen prints; This new model launched over three months ago. Anybody seen it?

We did see some samples when they first announced the new machine - we did not see a huge difference to the Riso ComColor7150 we currently use. Output does not compare directly with toner based digital presses. We have a production Ricoh 651EX Pro which we use for most of our colour work - the toner output is considerably different than the ink jet output from Riso. The only similarities is that they are both colour - you can obtain very high quality prints from the ComColor but would require specialized stocks (Riso used to offer their own Ink Jet stocks designed for these things) to get "high" quality. Finish is totally different - more a matte finish on the ComColor. If I describe the difference for a customer - I'd use the analogy that the ComColor is more like a water colour painting as opposed to the laser being more like an oil painting. Two different animals - each has it's own use. You also need to be very aware of the amount of ink you are consuming on the ComColors - as you increase quality - you increase ink used and therefore your costs. As we are on a click rate on our Ricoh toner machine - if the amount of ink we think we are going to use on the ComColor (for which we buy the ink - not on a click charge) - we will move the work over to the Ricoh toner as we are protected. Can't say it too often - the two technologies are not the same - one is not a replacement for the other.

Thanks, BobRym. Your observations about the RISO 9630 are very helpful and much appreciated!
I'll make a special note to remember your advice: ". . . one is not a replacement for the other."

I have one. I love teh speed and for the work i produce it is perfect.
Color is no comaparison. i had to dumb down the color of my toner Ricoh 7110 to match.
Letter and large mailing would fit this product.

160 minutes is awesome.

I have one. I love teh speed and for the work i produce it is perfect.
Color is no comaparison. i had to dumb down the color of my toner Ricoh 7110 to match.
Letter and large mailing would fit this product.

160 minutes is awesome.

Hi Logan we have a comcolor 9150, but it cant print on coated stock... does the 9360??

Regards

Duncan

I have not even tried. I bought this with printing on a cheap 20# Boise REcycled paper. IT is meeting the quality i expected. I will have to check on the coated sheet but i have not tried. Doesn the paper have to be treated for the ink jet?

I have not even tried. I bought this with printing on a cheap 20# Boise REcycled paper. IT is meeting the quality i expected. I will have to check on the coated sheet but i have not tried. Doesn the paper have to be treated for the ink jet?

Hi Logan i really hope not, so we could use our existing offset coated stock instead of purchasing inkjet coated card stock.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back