Xerox DocuColor Printed Leaked NSA Documents

prwhite

Administrator
Staff member
Remember those alleged, NSA-leaked classified documents in the news? They were tracked back to Reality Winner—an NSA contractor—by codes put into the printed documents that identified the source.

According to The Atlantic magazine, when The Intercept news outlet asked the NSA to verify documents sent to them, the FBI was able to track the leak back to Winner from the steganography coding (encoded watermarks) left by NSA’s Xerox DocuColor printer. Those classified documents were printed on the DocuColor & then sent to the news outlet.

Seems crazy that you pay for a machine that prints incriminating data on your paper without your consent, though it wasn't her own machine. Why these companies would do this is beyond me. I would think they would not want to be implicated in nefarious activities since it opens the door for a civil suit against them in some cases.

It was introduced decades ago by an agreement with what was at the time the G7 nations, to assist in combating money counterfeiting.
It is only a part of the anti-counterfeiting measures in printers and copiers, and doesn't open the manufacturer up to civil law suits.

Last edited:
To be fair, the title of this thread is completely misleading. The DocuColor DID NOT leak any documents. It allowed the government to figure out who made copies of classified documents and illegally carried them out of the building for distribution.

To be fair, the title of this thread is completely misleading. The DocuColor DID NOT leak any documents. It allowed the government to figure out who made copies of classified documents and illegally carried them out of the building for distribution.

I think you mis-read the title. The DocoColor printed the leaked documents.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back