Command Workstation 6

Inkscape Print

Is anyone using Command Workstation 6 yet? Pros and cons? I have it installed on one computer but have not had a chance to do much with it yet.

I've been using it for a few days now and really like how it looks. No problems yet. Then again, the only real problem I had with version 5 was it slowing down after a few weeks so we'll see if version 6 stays nice and snappy over time.

If you need to use "logs", it needs to reload all of your jobs each time you need to view it. In CWS5 was not the case. It's harder to cancel a job that is about to start running.

did this about a month ago....not a fan of the new side interface (actually takes up MORE display area_)....and the fact that it's harder to find jobs (unless you make a custom ALL filter). Also, filters do not remain 'active' so if you click around to different machines or 'queues' you need to re-enter the search criteria. Overall, it makes the day to day queue management SLOWER for us....hopefully 'they' will do an update that 'enhances' some of the stuff, for right now my operators are asking me to downgrade both machines to 5.8....(may do this next week)

Did not even know there was an update available. Will definitely not be updating anything in production till I can do some testing on my MacBook Pro. Looks like too big a change to trust changing anything over till I can do some testing on my own first.

Installed on my Mac side and left it at 5 on the Ricoh side. Takes a little getting used to but overall functions the same as V5 as far as I have found. Seems more like new window dressing than any Major upgrade but thats just my O2

How do I customize this bar:
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 11.21.24 AM by B P, on Flickr

With command workstation 5.8 I could customize this section and put in what I want and remove what I do not want. Specifically I have the process and hold button there. Of course I can right click and do all that, but simpler to just have the button there. I cannot seem to right click there so have no options. Is this no longer customizable or where do I go to do what I want here?

How do I customize this bar:
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 11.21.24 AM by B P, on Flickr

With command workstation 5.8 I could customize this section and put in what I want and remove what I do not want. Specifically I have the process and hold button there. Of course I can right click and do all that, but simpler to just have the button there. I cannot seem to right click there so have no options. Is this no longer customizable or where do I go to do what I want here?

You might want to post your questions at fieryforums.efi.com where you might get an answer from EFI itself.

You might want to post your questions at fieryforums.efi.com where you might get an answer from EFI itself.

I have a pretty good list of recommendations regarding this release, and will be discussing them with the CWS team at EFI's GraphExpo booth. When it was in Chicago 2 years ago, I talked with them and I saw a few of my requests eventually implemented, but this release is pretty sad from a raw productivity standpoint. I'll keep you updated after the show.

EFI did a webinar on this a few days ago. You may want to check that out.....

https://players.brightcove.net/1263232659001/default_default/index.html?videoId=5538752569001

Your Fiery must be version 10 or newer and it does not work with Fiery Central.
We have about a dozen high end Fiery RIPS, 2 of them running version 8. So where does that leave us?

They have placed the queue 'tabs' on the left under each server, my understanding is that you can no longer see, in 1 screen, what is held, processing and printing. Additionally, each server on the left is now taking up more space with the queues displayed there, so you will have to scroll on your screen to view all servers if you have several. It was mentioned in a post above about adding more clicks to their steps. That is exactly it. No different than the way Acrobat Cloud has added 100 clicks to every step.
I too had a list of recommendations 2 years ago and have asked them again why they have not done anything to help the customers with several servers.

Last edited:
The biggest disappointment with CWS 6 is still no sorting of profiles. That is the biggest waste of time and always has been in CWS, and I have been complaining about it for years.

Am I missing anything worthwhile in 6 other than the new interface? Any new USEFUL features that 5 doesn't have?

The biggest disappointment with CWS 6 is still no sorting of profiles. That is the biggest waste of time and always has been in CWS, and I have been complaining about it for years.

That's always seemed like the weirdest and most obvious glitch to me. Every computerized list in the world is sorted in a way that makes sense...
It's not even sorted by date added or anything - when you reboot it seems to be a completely random order.
I would think a Fiery software programmer would be totally annoyed by something like that.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back