Riso 9150

sss123

Hi.

We are a direct mail company and currently buy litho printed envelopes. With the many mail carriers these days (Royal Mail, Whistl, UK Mail etc - all with there own postage marks), we have ended up with many, many different types of envelopes being held in stock.

I recently came across the RISO 9150 (and the newer gd9630) and saw a video of one running envelopes at 600dpi. It got me thinking that we may be able to buy just a few types of unprinted envelopes and print them in-house as and when needed.

Does anybody have experience running these machines on envelopes?
Is the quality good enough for postage marks?
What price would we be looking at for brand new or refurbished machine with not too many clicks on it?
Can you get these machines on click and service contract in UK?

Grateful for any input.

I just bought a Riso 7050. Don't know what they improved between the two models but I bought my with the hopes of running envelopes. It does ok as long as you got the settings right and the envelopes you use are flat. Meaning, when you set a stack on the table, there is no curl or waviness or wrinkles, etc. Flat like a stack of cut sheet paper.

Thanks for the info Keith.

We plan on either making or buying a bottom feed, top load feeder for whichever machine we get so hopefully that will sort any feed problems.

What's the quality like? We plan on overprinting envelopes with postage marks (Royal Mail image below). Do you think the quality will be good enough?

We get these litho printed at the moment, I know it could never match litho quality but how close do you reckon?

Thanks again for your input, it is much appreciated.

ppi_second_22x80.jpg

Attachments

• ppi_second_22x80.jpg
    ppi_second_22x80.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 162
I run a riso 7150 for envelopes. the quality doesn't match litho or the Oki laser I also have. With that said most of our envelopes are going to that machine. Its fast, low cost, and with tweaking the image has a high quality. I tried a feeder with it but gave up when I couldn't get more than a few to feed consistently. Much of our stock needs to be de-curled to load the feed, but its the same curl(de-curl) technique we use at the insert-er so it is habit here for our operators. It runs faster than our ab-dicks and the ink doesn't run when the envelope print gets wet like our big secap jet1 can.

No, I don't work for Riso and received nothing for this endorsement, just pleasantly surprised by the nice little box. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the info Keith.

We plan on either making or buying a bottom feed, top load feeder for whichever machine we get so hopefully that will sort any feed problems.

What's the quality like? We plan on overprinting envelopes with postage marks (Royal Mail image below). Do you think the quality will be good enough?

We get these litho printed at the moment, I know it could never match litho quality but how close do you reckon?

Thanks again for your input, it is much appreciated.

I don't think feeding is the problem, it's when the envelope gets in the machine, it trips a sensor because it's not flat or it rubs against a print head cleaner rod and leaves a smudge. But as long as the envelopes are flat, it'll be ok. As Bill Kahny said, you'll need to de-curl if necessary.

As for quality, depends upon who you ask. The printer in me says it looks like crap, the consumer side of me doesn't care. It's just a stupid envelope with a job to do. As long as it's legible and arrives at it's destination without smudging, good enough for me. So I think the quality is certainly good enough.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back