fuji xerox Versant 180 verse Versant 80

BigSi

Hi there, Is there really any difference?. I realise the 180 is big on the finisher. (in fact I not even sure you can get it without one). The issue is! I have two digital machines here a v80 and an old 700 with finisher. Looking at upgrading my 700.
My numbers do not justify a 2100 (this is what I would really like). I'm know the 180 would be a reasonable upgrade on the 700 but would it really be any different to a v80 with a finisher?. the feeling I'm getting is a big NO. On the whole i'm happy with my v80 so intended to keep this.
I need two machines with the same engine so I can swap jobs between them. I can't do this currently.
Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks

As mentioned you may not be able to purchase a v80 anymore. The 180 will do 6pg A4 as standard, which has to be unlocked on v80. I spoke to one of the engineers who was working on our v80 and he mentioned a few upgrades inside, not new features, just built better.

I've not seen it in action, but if it the 2 knife trimmer/slitter works as good as it should, id love to get that upgrade. It would be so nice to take booklets and eliminate the top and bottom trimming of them.

Thanks for this.
Pretty sure I can get a used V80 with a finisher so taking the features of the finisher out! then there is no real difference between this and a V180. Seems like not much of an upgrade.
Just a note. I did not have to unlock anything on my V80 to do a 6page A4. 630mm x 297mm+ bleeds, but boy does it run slow on this sheet size.
Point noted regarding 2knife trimmer COULD be great, I hate to sound cynical but from my experience these sort of things never work 1/2 as well as they make out.

Just go for the V180. It has a much better imaging unit and there are mods made on this machine the alleviate banding and "trail edge" deletion on very heavy stocks. The V80 come out as a T2 model with these very specs. The V180 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 700/J75 chassis and will suit you well for ages to come. If you are using NCR/Carbon back stock for triplicates etc, just get some "Formula A" cleaner and clean your paper paths, registration areas and transfer rollers after and you will never have an issue. In saying that, the V180 series handles offset papers quite well. We have two of them and we keep ALL our paper in an air conditioned room with very low humidity and even non digital papers run quite well. We get the odd non-ISO SRA3 sizes that the local suppliers like to "true trim" down by 2-3mm because some sheet feed machines cant handle burred edges. The V180 also has a cool tool called SIQA, which will automagically align your papers and there's a really neat way it adjusts toner density uniformity across the sheet. The trainer showed us this and we don't place any calls for image quality defects, like fading on the edges or in the middle, anymore so we are really happy. Just make sure that they provide a decent trainer for you and all these things you can do yourself to keep production up.

Hi Mark. Thanks for the info. Yes I have had some experience with "SIQA" on my V80, I assume it's basically the same on the V180?. I would love to have a humidity controlled environment for my machines but the budget won't stretch that far. Not sure if my V80 is the T2 model, Is there an easy way to tell?. thanks again. Simon

Does the v180 run envelopes well? That's what xerox is telling us but would like to hear from actual users.

thanks

Don't know about the v180 but tend to crease (crows feet) a little on my V80. I try to run offset when ever I can. (I know not always practical).

There are over 600 tiny engineering pluses in there. Most notably is the finisher (full bleed, 30 sheets 24lb booklets, full size/weight inserter before finishing), the temperature sensor to deskew on long runs and better registration. See the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2OS0xn_bE

The envelopes are run flap closed and feeders full and without a crease. They're perfect, from #8 and up. Windowed as well.

note: I'm a Xerox analyst so I see these all day long.

There are over 600 tiny engineering pluses in there. Most notably is the finisher (full bleed, 30 sheets 24lb booklets, full size/weight inserter before finishing), the temperature sensor to deskew on long runs and better registration. See the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2OS0xn_bE

The envelopes are run flap closed and feeders full and without a crease. They're perfect, from #8 and up. Windowed as well.

note: I'm a Xerox analyst so I see these all day long.

Are they going to offer these finishers to other machines? I'd love to be able to finish full bleed booklets without trimming offline. Or is this a specific finisher to the V180?

Are they going to offer these finishers to other machines? I'd love to be able to finish full bleed booklets without trimming offline. Or is this a specific finisher to the V180?

That's a specific to Versant. I would expect to see it in the next generations of Color Presses and D series as well (Shooting from the hips saying that however)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back