New Ricoh ProC9100 Operator

tpmar

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I'm a new Ricoh ProC9100 operator, been running it for about 3 weeks. Seems like a great machine, some "glitches" to work out but overall it seems nice. Prior to this I spent 10 years running series 2 HP Indigos, a 5500 and a 5600. Any other ProC9100 operators here?

I think there is one on here. I am just a lowly 7100 operator.

Hey Shawn; glad to meet you. Don't sell yourself short, from everything I've heard that's a good machine. Another company we're associated with has 2 of those and they like them. I'm so new I'm just happy this forum is here! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.
Guess I should have mentioned in my introduction post, I work at Data Papers Inc in Muncy P.A. We're primarily a continuous web offset shop with me being the only sheetfed and the only digital.

I think there is one on here. I am just a lowly 7100 operator.

Good morning Shawn, HAPPY MONDAY! Question for you. I proofed out a file that is 11 x 17 on 100# gloss cover. When I measure the image it's about 1/10 short along the 17 inch. Here is what's really strange, if I proof a sheet out on some 80# gloss text, the image is a perfect 17 inches?! I went into the advanced paper settings for my 100# gloss cover and in the menu adjusted 007, magnification side 1 with feed, and also 008, magnification side 2 with feed, to +.225 and now the size is coming out right. Is this normal for these machines? Thanks Shawn.

Can't say I have had that happen before on my machines. The only paper I have had issues with is the foil paper, neither of my 7100's liked that "paper".

Can't say I have had that happen before on my machines. The only paper I have had issues with is the foil paper, neither of my 7100's liked that "paper".

Interesting. Thanks Shawn; If I get this cleared up I'll make sure I post what fixes it.

Hi tpmar, I am in a similar situation as you, 20 years on Indigo series 1,2 &3 and have had 4 weeks on the 9100 sx. Just interested in how you are finding the back to front registration and how you set up for a heavy cover 350gsm and lighter 170gsm text inner page job.

The training I got on the machine took all of 10 minutes. I still have an Indigo but the costs of running it are far greater than the Ricoh and most clients are happy with the quality of the toner press.

Hi tpmar, I am in a similar situation as you, 20 years on Indigo series 1,2 &3 and have had 4 weeks on the 9100 sx. Just interested in how you are finding the back to front registration and how you set up for a heavy cover 350gsm and lighter 170gsm text inner page job.

The training I got on the machine took all of 10 minutes. I still have an Indigo but the costs of running it are far greater than the Ricoh and most clients are happy with the quality of the toner press.

Hey Anderson; good to meet you. We certainly have similar backgrounds. So far I'm liking the Ricoh, much cleaner, no more I.O., I.A., Recycling agent, etc.... and it's also a lot more quiet and faster. Also seems there are a lot less calibrations to perform. As far as front to back registration my tech came in and increased the buckle. I'm sure you remember doing that on Indigos, and I realize this Ricoh has no grippers but that is what he called it. That seemed to help but so far for 80# gloss text I adjusted it's backer position permanently by using the monitor on the press (not the Fiery) and going to advanced settings for that substrate #004, "adj image position of side 2 with feed" and put a value of -0.5mm in there. This way I don't have to do this in the job properties window under the finishing tab for each job. I'm probably going to do something similar for #100 cover. As far as your question of the heavy cover with the think text sheets I really don't know. Could you look at the cover as a slip sheet under the media tab in job properties? I would also think the press will want to pause each time is switches from one to the other so it can readjust fuser temperature. I know I've got a lot to learn! Whatever I come across that seems like it might be useful I'll be sure and post.

Tom

Hey Anderson; I was digging around a little in job properties and I was close in what I said before about the media tab, but not slip sheets. At the bottom of the page under the Media tab in job properties it looks like you could set that up under the mixed media section. And I was looking through my notes and my trainer said you could lie about the gsm to avoid that problem of waiting for the fuser temperature to adjust. I suppose that might be dependent on how much coverage there is though. Good luck and let me know how you make out with that.

Thanks for that Tom. I am on holiday at the moment and will get back to you. Did you ever use the indigo users/ digital print republic forum, such a shame that Phil had to shut it down. Many thanks

Tom, Anderson, could you say about speed 9100/9110 on 200 gsm coated paper on duplex banner mode (330x700 mm). I want to print 300K-500K per month but sales can't definitely say truth.
And what about registration?

Hi Gents
I'm a jaded operator of over 2 1/2 years and you will discover that the machine does a lot of strange things. As for image magnification I switch off Auto Adjust side 2 which is number 119 in the advaced paper settings. It can cause issues with paper straight out the pack as any slight difference in paper size the machine try's to adjust the magnification and the back up goes all over the place. As for running two significantly different paper weights in one job I've given up as the amount of fuser temperature adjustment makes it quicker to do it by hand in the finishing department or you could invest in the inserter that fits between the printer and the finisher/stacker if you do lots of this sort of work.
We got our machine very early days when it was in effect a beta release, so I had a lot of issues to deal with. They are several posts of mine talking about it, a lot of the problems were sorted and a lot have not, these may help.

Last edited:
Tom, Anderson, could you say about speed 9100/9110 on 200 gsm coated paper on duplex banner mode (330x700 mm). I want to print 300K-500K per month but sales can't definitely say truth.

Hey Arsen; I've not even been running 3 full weeks yet so I'm sorry I've never done anything with the banner tray yet except run some regular paper out of it. On Monday 12/18 I'm to have my trainer in here so I'll ask him about this.

Hi Gents
I'm a jaded operator of over 2 1/2 years and you will discover that the machine does a lot of strange things. As for image magnification I switch off Auto Adjust side 2 which is number 119 in the advaced paper settings. It can cause issues with paper straight out the pack as any slight difference in paper size the machine try's to adjust the magnification and the back up goes all over the place. As for running two significantly different paper weights in one job I've given up as the amount of fuser temperature adjustment makes it quicker to do it by hand in the finishing department.

That is some great information, thanks for sharing that. I'm having trouble right now with 80# gloss text that needs printed 4/4 and the backer registration will be off 1/4 inch in both directions! Only on this thin paper. And sometimes it starts out OK then moves during the run. I think I'll try your suggestion to see if it might help with this. Regarding the magnification settings I've adjusted per paper, my tech was at the official Ricoh demo center which has a press just like mine, we emailed him the file and he had exactly the same results!? The length of the image was accurate on this paper and small on thicker paper.

Hi tpmar
You'll have to help me out here what is 80 paper. I work in metric do you know its weight as gsm. If it is very light stock you could try adjusting the amount of registration buckle. If you go in to the Adjustment for skilled operators, go to the paper feed and output in menu 0303 you can adust the amount the paper is pushed into the registration gate, minus is less buckle plus is more. Also in the advanced paper settings you can adjust the registration gate timing i think its setting 114. I use this setting to help with skew issues on very heavy stock especially at SRA4 or smaller.
Also try turning off 119 it causes a lot of issues, the engineers that I deal with advise people to turn it off.

Hi tpmar
You'll have to help me out here what is 80 paper. I work in metric do you know its weight as gsm. If it is very light stock you could try adjusting the amount of registration buckle. If you go in to the Adjustment for skilled operators, go to the paper feed and output in menu 0303 you can adust the amount the paper is pushed into the registration gate, minus is less buckle plus is more. Also in the advanced paper settings you can adjust the registration gate timing i think its setting 114. I use this setting to help with skew issues on very heavy stock especially at SRA4 or smaller.
Also try turning off 119 it causes a lot of issues, the engineers that I deal with advise people to turn it off.

Sorry about that, I should have said it's a 118 gsm stock, so yes it's pretty thin. And I spent a while this afternoon trying to get the face and back lined up. I got to the point where I was going to print one side of the sheet, then load the sheets back in the drawer and print the other side. I turned off that 119 like you suggested and just printed 200 sheets with near perfect face to back registration. THANK YOU!

No worries.
I was TCRU trained on the 901 but moving up to the 9110 was a big step with quite a steep learning curve, as the machine was still in beta, i was fortunate to have a couple of good engineers to help me out, in their view 119 is Ricoh trying to be a bit to clever.
Have you had your TCRU training yet there are several very good documents you get with it which give a lot of help, and of course you get replacement parts for when you have issues.

Last edited:
I know on the 7110 I can't do duplex on banner size, can the 9110?

I'm Duplexing 13 X 27 400 GSM on our 9100 and it eats it up all day long. We installed in July and really am VERY pleased with the machine. When she gets buggy it can be a challenge but slowly figuring out all her lil quirks

I have timed it at 16 sheets a minute in Banner tray duplex mode if that helps and registration is a bit tail whippy but not too bad

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back