Need Help with Choosing a Printer

Nana Nyarko

I am mew to the platform although i visited a couple of times before now and i must say i am extremely thrilled about the wealth of knowledge here. I have been a print broker for the better part of a decade and now looking at owning my own equipment so I am more or less a start up in that regard. We do a lot of paper prints with a sizeable portfolio in the plastics too. Our search for the best type of equipment to purchase took us to MGI to look at the Meteor 8700 S+650 Unlimited colors/Meteor 8700XL+ Unlimited colors. They have some wonderful applications and all but we are still not 100% convinced. We are at the final stages of taking a decision and would like to have independent opinions on the MGI products above and any other suitable alternatives you may suggest. I must add that I have been mainly involved in the marketing side of printing and therefore a bit new to the technical sides of the print world.
I look forward to your advice.
Thanks.

I'm not sure if anything made by MGI is a great place to start. Most look at Xerox or Konica Minolta. Can anyone speak on the synthetics capability of the V3100 or V180?

I'm not sure if anything made by MGI is a great place to start. Most look at Xerox or Konica Minolta. Can anyone speak on the synthetics capability of the V3100 or V180?

Im not sure theres a single MGI user on this forum. Never really seen anyone post about one running in their shop. Most are just questions like yours Nana.

Wasn't one of the Meteor presses just a KM c6500 with better parts? I know MGI and Konica have a business partnership. It kinda seems like Oce/Canon to me.
I would look to Xerox. Seems to be what the majority of people here have gone with and the overall experience seems positive. If I could go back I'd probably have chosen them as well.

Agreed with above comments..... Our KM rep was really trying to get us in to an MGI. The samples we got from them were amazing but when I sent some files of our own to test run they looked terrible. Tells me that they really have to dial jobs in to make them look good. Like stated above.... MGI runs on an older KM engine with lots of pretty dressing thrown on top. Look at what Xerox and Ricoh have to offer. Both handle different substrates quite well and are priced WAY WAY WAY below what you would spend on an MGI. Good luck

Because of the ability to set (and forget) the image transfer manually into a preset (custom paper settings) which maps to the paper catalog in the fiery, running synthetics is fine on both.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back