Ricoh 7110 Toner Cartridge issue

Shawnd

Has anyone else had the issue when you stick the new toner cartridge in it just spins and says it is still out of toner? Something breaks inside that takes the cap off the toner, this is the 4th time we have had it happen on our 2 machines over the past 2 years, it happens on random colors. The first time it happened we were spinning the cartridge and the tech said that is how it was broken, so since then we push it in carefully straight and softly push it in then close the door for it to spin and activate the cartridge and the issue still happens.

Of course our tech says he has never seen the issue elsewhere, he says it is the same setup on the 9110's so feel free to comment if you have that machine.

Has anyone else had the issue when you stick the new toner cartridge in it just spins and says it is still out of toner? Something breaks inside that takes the cap off the toner, this is the 4th time we have had it happen on our 2 machines over the past 2 years, it happens on random colors. The first time it happened we were spinning the cartridge and the tech said that is how it was broken, so since then we push it in carefully straight and softly push it in then close the door for it to spin and activate the cartridge and the issue still happens.

Of course our tech says he has never seen the issue elsewhere, he says it is the same setup on the 9110's so feel free to comment if you have that machine.

Hey Shawn; As you know I'm really new at this but just thought I would throw this out there. I had that happen twice now on my 9100, once with cyan and once with magenta. My tech told me to actually unscrew that end piece, the one that goes to the back side of the press, and then put it back in real gently. So far both times I've done that the press accepted the cartridge. Good luck and let us know what fixes this for you.

Tom

Yea, tech came this morning and was able to replace the part and get us back and running, he tested the cap on the one that broke and it took a bit of pressure to get it off. I figured this had to be a wider problem than what he was letting on to, guessing the manufacturer for the cartridges are not setting the caps on correctly and it is a crap shoot on which one will break the duck bill part that grabs the nipple and pulls the cap off.

It's just you, you must be putting in the toner wrong :)

I have had these break a few times personally and have talked to other techs that have had it happen too. They added a reinforcing clip to the part that is breaking that seems to fix it at least I have not seen one break with the clip on there. They also recently changed the firmware to help with this. If the tech is replacing the entire toner supply unit the new one will have clip on there but if they are just replacing the small broken part they would need to get the clip separately. Also the unbroken ones in the machine would need the clips.

They have actually used this same toner chuck part on several other machines and they never broke until the 7100. They were breaking because that cap is way harder to pull out on the 7100 toner than the previous machines. Try pulling one out on a empty bottle it is very hard to get out!

It was more widespread but the reinforcement clips seem to have fixed it at least I haven't had broken one with a clip on it and I know we have very few breaking anymore.

We've had it happen 4 or 5 times in 2.5 years. had the clips put on. one breakage since then...

Yea, tech came this morning and was able to replace the part and get us back and running, he tested the cap on the one that broke and it took a bit of pressure to get it off. I figured this had to be a wider problem than what he was letting on to, guessing the manufacturer for the cartridges are not setting the caps on correctly and it is a crap shoot on which one will break the duck bill part that grabs the nipple and pulls the cap off.

Good to know Shawn, and also good to know my machine isn't the only one with this issue.

I was mistaken, it was 3 that have broken. After the 1st one the tech put clips on all of them, so we have had 2 break since the clips were put on.

Fyi: The tech is in fixing a different issue with one of the 7100's, but he mentioned that Ricoh has not released clips for the 9100 yet.

I have been pounding the heck outta my 9110 since install and intend to do the same on the 9210 once the bugs are worked out of it. Almost 4 million on the counter and zero toner cap issues.

Many many ITB sensor issues, stacker issues, controller disconnect, pcu drum- cl unit torque overloads, gears breaking, fuser webs stalling....hold on a sec. I am a Ricoh "fan" an operator for over 7 years and a closet technician who has tear down and rebuild ability.... These machines are Workhorses and even with all of the issues I love them. I can keep them running day and night with proper maintenance and if you buy them and are not scared to tear them apart...hardly ever need techs on site. You can somewhat easily rebuild all the units if your tech will send parts. Even replacing transfer rollers, itb belt and bias rollers is pretty simple(with accurate manuals).

Ricoh techs are great...some higher ups have little ground level knowledge but overall I stand by Ricoh dummy boxes.

Currently running three 901s a 9110 and a 9210. About 50M 12x18 duplex with 50 or more percent coverage run on the 9110 and 9210 each week. The 901s are more a pride thing for me....those old bastards still print high quality since they are well taken care of...too bad parts are going to fade away.

Next step up is a VC but thats a ways away...

tossing this one out there to the techs...why is there no distinguishable marking on the 9200 toner bottles that lets me know (once its out of the box) if its a 9100 or 9200 bottle? Everyone tells me they are quite different but I am not a believer.

I have been pounding the heck outta my 9110 since install and intend to do the same on the 9210 once the bugs are worked out of it. Almost 4 million on the counter and zero toner cap issues.

Many many ITB sensor issues, stacker issues, controller disconnect, pcu drum- cl unit torque overloads, gears breaking, fuser webs stalling....hold on a sec. I am a Ricoh "fan" an operator for over 7 years and a closet technician who has tear down and rebuild ability.... These machines are Workhorses and even with all of the issues I love them. I can keep them running day and night with proper maintenance and if you buy them and are not scared to tear them apart...hardly ever need techs on site. You can somewhat easily rebuild all the units if your tech will send parts. Even replacing transfer rollers, itb belt and bias rollers is pretty simple(with accurate manuals).

Ricoh techs are great...some higher ups have little ground level knowledge but overall I stand by Ricoh dummy boxes.

Currently running three 901s a 9110 and a 9210. About 50M 12x18 duplex with 50 or more percent coverage run on the 9110 and 9210 each week. The 901s are more a pride thing for me....those old bastards still print high quality since they are well taken care of...too bad parts are going to fade away.

Next step up is a VC but thats a ways away...

tossing this one out there to the techs...why is there no distinguishable marking on the 9200 toner bottles that lets me know (once its out of the box) if its a 9100 or 9200 bottle? Everyone tells me they are quite different but I am not a believer.

I have never had the issue with the caps not coming out on any model besides the 7100 and many machines use the same part. I think the caps are really hard to pull out in the 7100.

I don't have anywhere with a 9100 and a 9200 so I haven't looked at them side by side. The developer is a different number so I sure the toner in the bottle is different. They usually make the bottles different in some way so you can't put the wrong one in but sometimes the difference is very slight.

I assume they are different but I have some doubts. The number on the box is the only difference that I can tell. Spent about 5 minutes tearing apart empties and inspecting the two different bottles. Even with the part number being different I still cant say for sure because...well, Lanier/Ricoh different name same everything else. I've used some 9200 parts on the 9100 as suggested by my techs. Some of the part numbers for 91 had problems like the pcu cleaning unit blade angle causing torque overload on the drum..it was suggested to use the 92 parts to rebuild units but the problem persists. The main reason I assume they are different is the claims of larger color gamut on the 9200. I store the 91 and 92 toners pretty far apart because I worry with several operators that eventually we will load the wrong one. Hopefully if we do, it will only be a developer unit needing replaced. Hopefully it will be avoided.

I assume they are different but I have some doubts. The number on the box is the only difference that I can tell. Spent about 5 minutes tearing apart empties and inspecting the two different bottles. Even with the part number being different I still cant say for sure because...well, Lanier/Ricoh different name same everything else. I've used some 9200 parts on the 9100 as suggested by my techs. Some of the part numbers for 91 had problems like the pcu cleaning unit blade angle causing torque overload on the drum..it was suggested to use the 92 parts to rebuild units but the problem persists. The main reason I assume they are different is the claims of larger color gamut on the 9200. I store the 91 and 92 toners pretty far apart because I worry with several operators that eventually we will load the wrong one. Hopefully if we do, it will only be a developer unit needing replaced. Hopefully it will be avoided.

Many of the parts are the same in both machines but the toner is different. The 9200 toner is more matte than the 9100. They tell to put zinc sterite powder and yellow toner in the lube brush and blades to stop the blades flipping and getting the errors. It seems to work for me.

Exactly what i was instructed to do by my tech. Probably could have avoided the sc codes from torque overload had I taken advantage of the full tcru training when we first got the 9100 in and transitioning from 901+. Im sure they would gone over it had I not expedited the training into an hour session. I am looking forward to rcop training on the 9210. Was told they requested a specific guy to come out to train me that was a former tech. Appreciate the info about the toner differences. I think my eyes were tired when I looked at the bottles the other night. I think they are marked on the cap after all.

Oh and I use a ton of yellow toner on the felts! That by far is what reduced the sc code frequency. Also I put a piece of 5mil thick teflon tape under the blades before I screw them down. About a half inch long right where the blade starts on both ends

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back