Laser Safe ???

tpmar

I'm running a Ricoh ProC9100 and some on my sales team are wondering if my toner is considered to be laser safe. I believe the fuser temperature is somewhere around 170 C. Was just wondering if anyone else on here has any experience with their toner based output going through a laser printer. Or are there adjustments I could make to my machine to increase the likelihood of having the output make it through a laser printer with no problems. Thanks.

It's a gamble - Definitely not "laser safe".
It basically comes down to fuser temp - If the fuser on the second machine is hotter than the first, the toner can re-melt.
We used to occasionally run letterhead on our Canon 6000, and only had a problem with one customer - The customer was running a big old HP B+W that ran really hot and it would melt our toner every time.

We run Xerox machines now and they all have low-melt toner, so we don't even try.

Not specifically with the 9110 but I have had some places do this with no problem and some have problems. I am sure it depends on the printer they are running it back through. Older machines seem to run at higher temps it seems like every new machine that comes out runs at a lower temp.

You can raise the fuser temp but I don't know if that will change at what point the toner starts melting.

The places I have seen run a letter head on digital are doing a very small quantity where it would not be worth doing it on the press.

Thank you both for your feedback, that's pretty much what I figured, and I should have mentioned these are total ink coverage everywhere which I'm sure would make it even worse. We are currently running these on a huge U.V. web press but the quantities are so small that they cost us $$ every time we run them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back