Standard Finishing

No announcement yet.

Replace BW production printers, Xerox Docutech 6180 with?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last I checked the inkjet machines are roll fed, so he couldn't run mylar tabs, or really anything else. I think Inkjet really only makes sense for transactional printing, it's not a good choice for mixed media. Also, even the lowest Varioprint 6000 model is rated for 300k to 2.5 million per month.

Originally posted by JustinB View Post
      Inkjet isn't new technology. Océ has been making them for transactional printing (b/w on uncoated stock - transaction statements) for many years. You can't just say "the machine is expensive therefore we can't afford it." You have to look at the cost of the image as well. At 1.5 million b/w impressions a month, it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where toner is cheaper than inkjet. Additionally, depending on the machine, you could potentially go months without service. Your mileage may vary, but I think making this decision without seriously investigating inkjet is irresponsible.
      Coming from Docutech technology, *everything* in the copy world is new. ;-) Its been an uphill battle to get the antiquated equipment out of here.

If you don't mind me asking...what do these machines really cost, ballpark? To buy, to use, and to maintain. I have no idea. Everywhere I've worked has only run various laser and/or offset devices. I realize cost by dealer and region will vary, but I don't like to send sales reps on a wild goose chase unless I am pretty sure we could be convinced. I'm not the one that needs sold on it, its those that write the checks.

We have a Canon Varioprint DP135. It is super dependable. We have had only 4 calls outside the regular maintenance. Make sure you get the continuous stacker. The advantage of the Varioprint 6000 series is duplexing. They print both sides at the same time so back to back registration is always perfect.

UltimateSmartsoft (Presswise)4OverKBAStandard FinishingSmartsoft (Presswise)Duplo
        UltimateGTI4OverKBAKBAChili publishStandard FinishingDuplo

What's Going On

There are currently 3476 users online. 59 members and 3417 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,151 at 11:36 AM on 11-17-2017.