Ricoh waste toner bottles

Ecoprint1

Just wanted to hear from some other Ricoh users about replacing waste toner bottles. We have a C901 and C9110. As of about a year ago our tech told us that Ricoh was no longer going to provide us with new waste toner bottles, we would have to dump them ourselves and re-use. This is a measure to save them money but it's a pain for us to do and is very messy. We have had Ricoh for almost 10 years and they always provided new bottles upon order. We have a Konica and I can order new ones, no problem. We also had 2 Canons and were able to order them for free.

Does everyone running Ricoh's have the same issue?

thanks,
Scott

Thats odd, I just ordered some for my 7110. No one has said anything to us about having to reuse them. I think it is the same waste bottle? Type c751.

Just wanted to hear from some other Ricoh users about replacing waste toner bottles. We have a C901 and C9110. As of about a year ago our tech told us that Ricoh was no longer going to provide us with new waste toner bottles, we would have to dump them ourselves and re-use. This is a measure to save them money but it's a pain for us to do and is very messy. We have had Ricoh for almost 10 years and they always provided new bottles upon order. We have a Konica and I can order new ones, no problem. We also had 2 Canons and were able to order them for free.

Does everyone running Ricoh's have the same issue?

thanks,
Scott

Just got our 9100 a few months ago, I was told all I get are two waste toner bottles. If my tech is in, he'll get 2 of our garbage bags and dump the waste toner in there, then work all the air out, tie it up, and it's ready for our trash compactor. So far I haven't had to do this yet but it doesn't look like too big of a deal.

I have to dump my own on my Canon Imagepress as well. I hate doing it, but they at least provided a little mouth extender thing that screws onto the tip so I can wrap the garbage bag around it. I've only had an accident twice in 6 years, and thankfully an old tech gave me his old toner vac, so it was an easy clean up.

That's strange. We haven't heard of that yet and I had just ordered some bottles for our C7110x.

I have had to dump them out before. Not really a big deal, just have to be careful of the toner dust and seal up around the opening with the bag you're dumping it into.

Also fyi if you didn't know the caps on the toner bottles are reverse threaded, so don't just go tighten a cap thinking it's threaded normally or else you'll have toner all over yourself and the floor.

Not something Ricoh has told us as of yet - we have dumped them in the past as well but because of the mess prefer to put in new ones (just easier for everyone). The techs don't like having to empty them either!! We deal with a direct Ricoh outlet not a Ricoh dealer - wonder if it's something the dealers are doing to reduce the cost of their contracts. I'll bet that it is something they will all start doing anyway to save money.

We've been dumping ours for a while now. Sometimes our tech does them for us, sometimes we do them. All depends on the timing. It's not that fun, but it is easy to do. And if you are careful, it doesn't create a mess at all.

They are kinda stingy when it comes to consumables but if I whine enough my techs will get me a couple. Usually I just dump as needed and try to Pawn it off on a co-workers grandkid as pretty colored play sand

We've been back and forth. At one point they were dumping them, then they were sending new ones, now dumping again. They leave us as many as we need though. We have 5 or 6 for our 7110. We just keep changing them out and when the tech is here for something he dumps all the ones that are full. They never expect us to do it ourself although I have before and it is a mess. I think it depends if the tech is trying to keep their parts expense down or not. If they will only give you two just put in a service call every time it starts flashing almost full. Eventually, they will give you more so they don't have to come just for that.

Thanks for the replies. We actually have about 6 bottles but I don’t think we should be responsible for dumping them. Our tech used to do it but recently told us the service manager (who is a tool) would start charging us for the tech to do it.

We are in Oregon and have a service contract through Ricoh-USA and have never been told this. There was a point when they would bring them to us when the printers remotely triggered a bottle was full. Since then though it changed to we just order them straight through Myricoh.com. They are part of the service contract and free.

In a pinch we have had to a couple time empty one to get by but haven't heard of them refusing to restock, weird?

Here may be some of why you guys are getting different answers. If you have Ricoh direct some machines the waste toner bottle is considered a supply item and some it is a part. If it is a supply as the 7110 is you can order them on myricoh if it is a part then service would need to order them. I know on the c901 it is a part so I have to order them, the 9110 lists it as a supply in the documentation but I haven't had anyone order any from myricoh yet the next 9110 I go to I am going to have them look for me though.

I know if you have the contract through Heidelberg they do not give them to you through supplies.

On the ones that can not be ordered through supplies I would expect the tech to either come dump it every time or order enough of them so you have empty ones until there is a call for something else. I have some places who have just chosen to dump them out themselves for whatever reason but I am not going to tell anyone the have to do it. I don't want the liability if they dump 10 pounds of toner on the floor :)

Wow I’m glad this isn’t a Xerox thing. The ones in the versants aren’t technically dumpable but I’ve cut one open and emptied it before. Our old 1000i could have been dumped, but they were throw away items. And anyone who’s had a 1000 knows they go through waste containers like crazy.

Wow I’m glad this isn’t a Xerox thing. The ones in the versants aren’t technically dumpable but I’ve cut one open and emptied it before. Our old 1000i could have been dumped, but they were throw away items. And anyone who’s had a 1000 knows they go through waste containers like crazy.

I do not understand why they don't just make some twist off cap so you can empty, clean and reuse? Seems that would be the "green" thing to do as really you would only need one bottle in a life time save for a the bottle getting wrecked sometime. I have emptied the waste containers a handful of times when I did not get a new one in time. Can be done, just messy.

I do not understand why they don't just make some twist off cap so you can empty, clean and reuse? Seems that would be the "green" thing to do as really you would only need one bottle in a life time save for a the bottle getting wrecked sometime. I have emptied the waste containers a handful of times when I did not get a new one in time. Can be done, just messy.

The 1000i was simply a bottle with a twist on top. I actually wondered why they never had just just dump and reuse, but never questioned it as its easier to simple pull it out, put the cap on and chuck in the dumpster.

The 1000i was simply a bottle with a twist on top. I actually wondered why they never had just just dump and reuse, but never questioned it as its easier to simple pull it out, put the cap on and chuck in the dumpster.

I know Xerox uses their waste toner as a revenue stream, there is iron in the developer that they extract and sell. Or maybe resuse I forget. But their is value in it.

I know Xerox uses their waste toner as a revenue stream, there is iron in the developer that they extract and sell. Or maybe resuse I forget. But their is value in it.

Do you ship back the full waste toner bottles to them?

Do you ship back the full waste toner bottles to them?

Yes. Xerox provides what they call Eco Boxes, large boxes that can fit multiple consumables to be sent back to them for recycling. They also will also return full pallets which is how we would send back all our used consumables.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back