Konica Minolta Bizhub Pro 1050 – carbon copy function in driver needed

Bushido

Hi there,

could anyone help to resolve this issue: I need to print variable data (about 40k records) on carbonless paper, multiple copies for each record on different colours of paper, from multiple trays. I found there is a function in some of the KM Bizhub presses which is called "Carbon Copy" (see the attachment) and it does exactly what I need: prints the same page from multiple trays, but my driver doesn't have it. Is there any way to upgrade the driver or firmware for this function to work with our press (KM Bizhub Pro 1050)?

Thanks in advance for all the responses.

Attachments

• photo7366.jpg
    photo7366.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 403
Are you running straight white and yellow two part carbonless? If so why do you need to run it from two different?

I have 4 sheets making one set. Cannot use precollated carbonless as if the jam occurs (and it does), the following records won't keep the right sequence of the colours.

I'm running Windows 10, so I don't have the ability to install the 1050 or 1051 PCL driver on my PC, but I did install the 1052 PCL driver, and thought I had found a workaround, but it didn't pan out. I tried also with the 1052 PS Plugin driver, and that didn't pan out either. But I noted that the Konica 958 PCL driver also has the Carbon Copy feature. That same driver is used for a range of Konica workgroup machines.

So how about this: Try the Konica PCL driver for workgroup machines, like the bizhub 958, but use it to print to your 1050. Not promising anything...this is totally experimental...but assuming there is some similarity between the print controller for the 958 and the 1050, I wonder if that would work. Chances are, not...but it's worth a shot...

Last edited:
I have 4 sheets making one set. Cannot use precollated carbonless as if the jam occurs (and it does), the following records won't keep the right sequence of the colours.

Are you sure about that? We run KM 1250's here, and they're smart about knowing what page is actually output.
We've run numbered sets of NCR many times on pre-collated stock with no problem.

If it does jam you just need to remember to take a sheet or two out of the feeder so the right color is next up.
Might be a little more waste that way, but not much unless you're constantly jamming, and that's another whole problem.

If it does jam you just need to remember to take a sheet or two out of the feeder so the right color is next up.
Might be a little more waste that way, but not much unless you're constantly jamming, and that's another whole problem.

Jamming requires manual intervention, so how hard is it to just pop open the tray and take the sheets out at that very moment? Bushido, I think you're complicating things.

It sounds easy enough to check when jams occur, but I “get it” you are not really sure where the machine actually jammed especially if you have 5 or 6 sheets you are pulling out that jammed. I think I would break the run up int 1000 or more per run. Obviously run a shorter run to make sure the machine is running smooth, and then go for it, babysit it and hold your breath. GOOD LUCK. At least with shorter runs you can stop the job, delete sets that have already printed from the PDF file and restart fresh from that point on.

The REAL solution to this would be to have a RIP w/command work station and use the variable /merge feature with the master file set up to pull from 4 different drawers... but i still think it would slow the machine down to a crawl.

The REAL solution to this would be to have a RIP w/command work station and use the variable /merge feature with the master file set up to pull from 4 different drawers... but i still think it would slow the machine down to a crawl.

Still too complicated in my opinion. You have better control over the document if you use InDesign, use the data merge function and create, say a 2,500 page document that is 8.5 x 11" with black static and variable data, numbered 00001 to 02500. Need to print it on 2 part? Easy, you need 2 UNCOLLATED copies. 3 part? 3 uncollated copies. Easy mode. Same goes for variable numbering if you're printing color NCR 2 up on 11 x 17", cut and stack.

Thanks guys for all your effort,

PricelineNegotiator, I don't overcomplicate my stuff, always look for the most efficient solution, either "legitimate" or a workaround.

In this case I have a pdf output from InDesign using built-in data merge function. There are some bank acc numbers and a barcode. They aren't in any numeric or alphabetical order. The sheets are to be litho preprinted, trimmed down to A4 size then we personalise them using digital press. I have over 130k sets of 4 to be digitally personalised.

The "Carbon Copy" function for KM presses would be exactly what I need. Feeding the press with precollated 4 different colours might and will cause the problems due to the differences between white CB and coloured CFB NCR paper when you use the digital press with friction feeding. Also, I may get double sheet from time to time in the pile of precollated NCR and would have to look at each print if it comes out in the right order.

Datwangster, perhaps installing Command Workstation would also be a good solution, the question is if it doesn't slow down the whole printing process by 10x or so. If it slows down 2x, it's even better – less jams when printing slower on NCR using this press. And yes, I will chop the steak to swallowable bites.

We get the old school way to complete the task: print 4 piles and use the "blondomate" to finish the job. 3 ladies will collate the whole thing accurately with no mistake within a week. But they've been quite busy since I can remember, that's why I'm looking for alternative.

We run pre-collated, 2, 3, and 4 part alot and jams aren't a major issue. I would put a service call in on your feed rollers.
I use 1 drawer so it doesn't swap before it's actually empty (mine do), and print 4 copies grouped, only loading a ream at a time checking each load. It keeps the file to a minimum so rip time and speed is maximized while file size is reduced.

I'm running Windows 10, so I don't have the ability to install the 1050 or 1051 PCL driver on my PC, but I did install the 1052 PCL driver, and thought I had found a workaround, but it didn't pan out. I tried also with the 1052 PS Plugin driver, and that didn't pan out either. But I noted that the Konica 958 PCL driver also has the Carbon Copy feature. That same driver is used for a range of Konica workgroup machines.

So how about this: Try the Konica PCL driver for workgroup machines, like the bizhub 958, but use it to print to your 1050. Not promising anything...this is totally experimental...but assuming there is some similarity between the print controller for the 958 and the 1050, I wonder if that would work. Chances are, not...but it's worth a shot...

I've tried various 1050/1051 drivers, I'll give a try to 958 driver then, need to check if that Carbon mode is available beforehand. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Oh, it's in there . . . I checked it out.

I have installed 958 driver, Carbon Copy is there but it prints only master page, doesn't pull from other trays, regardless of which tray is set for original copy.

Perhaps is more to it than just a printer driver? Maybe this function is hardware/firmware supported?

I have installed 958 driver, Carbon Copy is there but it prints only master page, doesn't pull from other trays, regardless of which tray is set for original copy.

Perhaps is more to it than just a printer driver? Maybe this function is hardware/firmware supported?

You're probably right. Like I said, it was just experimental -- at best, a workaround. Sorry it didn't pan out.

I've applied for KM Developer Support Program, I should get an access to their SDK, so I can ask my friend programmer to spit out a few lines of code for this specific task. Maybe this will make it. Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back