Buying a Xerox J75 , tips and advice would be appreciated!

Hi guys, I've been lurking on these forums, and so far, the information on the *** has been great! I'm currently purchasing one but I've been skeptical of the units. I've seen some units with 90K impressions to 750K, but I can't seem to find something I'm comfortable with. (First machine I'm purchasing) A sample print was sent to me, but there were blue dots all over randomly on each page, and on the test sheets, some colors seemed cloudy? Anyways, the pictures are attached, I'd love some input, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-20180302-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180302-WA0002.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG-20180302-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20180302-WA0005.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG-20180302-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20180302-WA0004.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG-20180302-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20180302-WA0003.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG-20180302-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180302-WA0001.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
The blue dots are either a nick in the blue drum or errant toner globs hanging around in the paper path before the fuser. The latter fall from the drums/developer units and are fixed by just cleaning the paper path. The drums can be swapped out easily if there is a problem as well. Not sure what you mean by cloudy, but we've had great luck selling our prints.

We've had two of them for a couple years now. One currently has 1.7m on it the other 330k, both purchased as floor models from Xerox demo rooms. Both loaded with Fiery controllers and booklet/square folders.

I didn't see any problems on your pictures that couldn't be solved with a service call and or user adjustment. They might not compare to a high-end machine but I have compared other models like the 1000 and Versant and I would be willing to bet that most customers would never know the difference.

Compared to the machines we have had previously (DC8080, 6060, 2060, 2045)... These machines are way more reliable than those models, much faster, holds color over long runs, better quality, better stock handling, easier to swap out fusers/drums, registration is usually pretty good, cheaper to use... Booklet maker/square folder is pretty decent, looks good, but slow.

Weak points are it is a bit cheap plastic-y...but most modern machines are. Some parts are simply not durable though. Drum modules typically need replaced due to quality issues long before they are actually "done" according to the machine. This doesn't really matter if you keep a lot of drums on hand. The toner bottles are really small so if you have a lot of coverage you will burn through it. There is one job we do that is real heavy coverage 13x19 about 3000 impressions...we will easily go through 14 bottles total between the various colors. Again keep a lot of toner on hand and this won't usually be a problem.

The biggest weak point is the service. Xerox calls these "office" printers, so you will get the "office" team, not the production team. In our area that often means waiting 24-48 hours for a service tech to arrive (!) instead of maybe 4. They aren't usually down "much" but when they do go down it can be a couple of days. That's why we have 2 machines, for redundancy more than the volume.

Knowing what we know now about the service response time, we would probably heavily weigh competitive options from Ricoh/etc. I don't think the J75 is a bad machine, but Xerox service has really gone downhill in the time I have been dealing with them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back