Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shawnd View Post
    This is what I am encountering on 70# text that the tech will get to go away for a week or two then it will come back:

We only move a job when we encounter this, but it will print fine on the other 7110 on 70# text, I have checked all the advanced settings for the paper are the same on the two machines, but one will print it fine, got both me and the tech baffled.

Here is another twist, I ended up finishing the job on 80# Gloss text, it looked alot better and the solids while not perfect was passable on the same printer that gave me issues with 70# text.

Creating a new paper profile did not work for this job.
    That looks pretty gross, but I have noticed in not smooth stock like this, that the paper itself can vary...or even one side or the other will be smoother. Example, we recently had a long run of books that were entirely color, but printed on just plain 60# stock...you could see some pages look better than others. I think a lot of that is the nature of the stock...maybe you can try a smoother sheet?

In the Xerox world I can adjust transfer settings to usually improve this, I am assuming you can do something like that in Ricoh? As the seasons change I noticed the transfer settings will not always work the same way either...if the climate varies in your shop that could be part of the problem as well.

Comment

Have your tech check the charge roller(s). I had the similar issue and that was part of the problem. I also had to up the transfer bias since I was running a very heavy paper. But I don't suspect that same issue for your machine.

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub...e/int/0039.htm

Comment

I have switched to Husky 70# text which is running better but I still have enough mottling it warrants a call to the tech, paper prints fine as well on my other machine. Some of the charge rollers are in the 80% range so I will have them swapped out.
        (2) Ricoh Pro 7110SX digital printers
        OKI C931e with Straight Shooter Envelope feeder

Comment

What i generally found is that printing problematic media┬┤s (textured, or mottled image) could be very much improved in quality when printing in the correct grain-direction. we have much better results on ricoh 7100 and also on canon c600 when printing textured stock in the "correct" direction (with grain parallel to the rollers). maybe the paper can curl easier around the transferroller? So we sometimes cut the paper in half before printing , and pay double click but can produce better quality.

Comment

I have switched to Husky 70# text which is running better but I still have enough mottling it warrants a call to the tech, paper prints fine as well on my other machine. Some of the charge rollers are in the 80% range so I will have them swapped out.
            So just to let you know, we run a lot of Husky 60# mainly in xerox dept. but to cut down on costs they try to spec it for some color jobs. If the coverage is med-full usually the result will not look so great. Accent, same result. So for light coverage or just copy and a few graphics not a big deal. Here's the thing about Husky though and I say this running it for years on 651, 900, 901, 7110, the paper is garbage. I don't know if the fillers they use have anything to do with it, but it's garbage. From lot to lot or even ream to ream the properties change and not in a subtle way. I mean you can be running and laying down a good image and then then boom, it turns to crap. Very frustrating.

I can say that I created a textured paper cat for it that I feel pretty confidant in but I still can see the image degrade from time to time in a longer run. That is the other problem on all machines listed above, the longer the run the image quality would most likely degrade overall.

So the other thing I just wanted to mention is Husky Offset is a very low grade paper and the smoothness is not great so, when I hear of operators incurring mottling I sometimes wonder if the are just seeing an image laid done fairly well, however due to it being uncoated and not very smooth, they are just seeing the texture of the paper coming through.

I just wanted to weigh in on the Husky thing though because this paper has caused me much grief on jobs and really where there are solids and photos, this paper should not be spec'd. Lynx a little better but like Accent that can also be a challenge from lot to lot.
            Last edited by ColorMonkey; 04-08-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

ColorMonkey What paper have you found works very well? I have tried Finch 70# as well and it was worse than the Husky 70#.

Comment

I would say give Lynx a try it's a little more but depends on your vendor. If I need to lay down a nice smooth solid on text weight uncoated, I push for Mohawk CC98 or Neenah laser. These are both more expensive than Husky or Lynx but you can count on them and they will give you the quality expected. However, cost is always a consideration as well as the expectations of the operator and obviously the customer.

Others may suggest papers that have worked well for them as well that you can consider.

Know that when the humidity has been suck out of the paper those, uncoated stocks can have a really hard time taking an image and no matter what you do, it may be impossible to lay down good color eventhough K looks amazing. I'm taking when trapping especially M & C.

Comment

Try Navigator Platinum. Low cost. Runs great.

Comment

Thanks guys for the ideas. gregbatch The pricing on that Navigator Platinum is about a penny more than Husky, I will order some and give it a try, might keep some around for heavy coverage projects if it works good.

I like the description of it: "99 Brightness, Specially formulated for Color Copying, 99.99% Jam-Free Performance"

Can't find the fine print on that jam free performance

Comment

We run Navigator Multipurpose in all of our Xerox machines, as a general 20# white sheet. We use Lynx as the next step up, highly recommend using that as opposed to Husky or Navigator Platinum. Those sheets aren't really as smooth as they need to be for high coverage digital printing. That isn't to say that we don't use it still occasionally.

In our offset presses we run X-9 from Boise.

It is worth mentioning that we used to run X-9 in our copiers but it started jamming too frequently, thus we replaced it with Navigator Multipurpose and have had NO issues.

Comment

Is Lynx Opaque Ultra Digital Smooth Text 70# the correct one?

Comment

That it. So I didn't have problems running this on either the 7110 or the 651 however another operator running a 651 said he didn't like it but I think that was more due to the state of his machine than due to the paper. Again, it's not a high grade paper but as stated above, it trumps Husky Offset.

Comment

I run a cornucopia of paper thru my 7100. Kelly brand plain (bottom of the barrel) for generic letters and the like.
                            Newsletters and other assorted booklets, I just switched from Kelly 70# gloss to 80# gloss.
                            Higher end stuff I will run on either Hammermill 32# plain or Verso Blazer digital coated...cheaper than their Futura lineup.
                            The heaviest I have ran is the digimag magnetic paper or the Kelly Synapse 15 mil synthetic, although the 15 mil synthetic is starting to ghost real bad.

Comment

Ricoh prides themselves on extensive R&D in paper libraries. I'd hold them to that. Did you try flipping the sheet? Obvious I realize but something we forgot that can sometimes be an easy fix.

Comment

This is what I am encountering on 70# text that the tech will get to go away for a week or two then it will come back:

We only move a job when we encounter this, but it will print fine on the other 7110 on 70# text, I have checked all the advanced settings for the paper are the same on the two machines, but one will print it fine, got both me and the tech baffled.

Here is another twist, I ended up finishing the job on 80# Gloss text, it looked alot better and the solids while not perfect was passable on the same printer that gave me issues with 70# text.

Creating a new paper profile did not work for this job.
                                Wow, This looks exactly like the problem we are having on our 7110x, but our problem is only on Cyan or maybe worst on cyan. all the color runs perfect on coated stock.

Please give a update if the navigator paper works better or not. thank you.

Comment

4OverCanonKBAAvantiXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)Duplo

Free Download

Collapse

Avanti
                                Before You Buy A Print MIS Read This - FREE Download Link To Download

Canon4OverXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)Duplo

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4859 users online. 85 members and 4774 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,611 at 11:23 AM on 02-27-2019.

Working...
                                X