Ricoh Production Printers and NCR

kslight

One of our trade customers gave us a simple 4/0 NCR job and curiously remarked that their "Ricoh would eat this NCR up" and that's why we got the job since we run Xerox.

Does anyone have experience with this? I've never really had trouble running most brands of NCR on Xerox equipment but have limited experience with other brands. But I'm a little concerned because are have been considering Ricoh BW machines and that might be a showstopper for us.

Thanks

I have many people running NCR with no issues we have one place locally that just about runs all NCR. The 8200 officially supports it when you have the vacuum feed tray but the friction feed tray feeds it fine I just see marks sometimes where the pickup roller hits the paper.
​​​​​​
The only issue I see with it are the registration roller needing to be replaced sometimes. I also get people calling because they can't figure out how to get the pages to come out in the right order but I can't call that a machine problem :)

Did they say what the problem they are having is?

Curiously my experience is the opposite. We used to run Xerox equipment and had frequent problems with it. On our DC250 we got severely told off by Xerox for running NCR on it as the machine needed lots of work after a long NCR run. When we switched to a Xerox 700, although they said we could run NCR, it seriously increased the service calls needed. Since we switched to a Ricoh machine about a year ago, we run loads of NCR on it and never had a problem. The only issue we've had has been checking the grain direction of the paper to prevent curling at the stacker. Have to say, since switching to Ricoh, our quality and uptime have been so much better!

I have many people running NCR with no issues we have one place locally that just about runs all NCR. The 8200 officially supports it when you have the vacuum feed tray but the friction feed tray feeds it fine I just see marks sometimes where the pickup roller hits the paper.
​​​​​​
The only issue I see with it are the registration roller needing to be replaced sometimes. I also get people calling because they can't figure out how to get the pages to come out in the right order but I can't call that a machine problem :)

Did they say what the problem they are having is?

They didn't specify what model, it was one of the color production printers though. I didn't have the opportunity for a two way conversation, I heard this comment from my sales person who talked with them.

Curiously my experience is the opposite. We used to run Xerox equipment and had frequent problems with it. On our DC250 we got severely told off by Xerox for running NCR on it as the machine needed lots of work after a long NCR run. When we switched to a Xerox 700, although they said we could run NCR, it seriously increased the service calls needed. Since we switched to a Ricoh machine about a year ago, we run loads of NCR on it and never had a problem. The only issue we've had has been checking the grain direction of the paper to prevent curling at the stacker. Have to say, since switching to Ricoh, our quality and uptime have been so much better!

Oh Xerox Service discourages running...just about anything as far as I can tell...but we usually don't have any NCR issues unless the operator isn't paying attention to the direction.

Oh Xerox Service discourages running...just about anything as far as I can tell...but we usually don't have any NCR issues unless the operator isn't paying attention to the direction.

I see everyone say this, but I've literally never had a service tech say it was the paper. Idk, maybe ours are special but when they come in for any problem, they find it wrong in the press, not the paper.

So we have a Ricoh 651 and 7110 both that we run NCR on and haven't had a problem that I'm aware of. I know that Ricoh sent out a service bulletin or whatever the name of it is that they send to techs that did mention to discourage customers from running NCR. The reason was due to the effects of the glue on the reg rolloer as msaeger mentioned above. Again though, I have not had any problem and really if it's an engineering defect its on them because they do not tell you you cannot run NCR at any point from demo to purchase.

I see everyone say this, but I've literally never had a service tech say it was the paper. Idk, maybe ours are special but when they come in for any problem, they find it wrong in the press, not the paper.

We have a couple techs who will spend all day belly-aching and trying to find ways to blame outside problems before considering working on the equipment. Paper is a popular excuse, humidity/temperature (which honestly I've been in a lot of different shops around town we are one of the better ones as far as climate control goes...), software (they would much rather sit there and reload software all day instead of troubleshoot the computer when the hard drive is obviously failing), the age of the machine (which fine I agree some of our equipment is old but that doesn't change the fact that Xerox has no problem charging us for service agreements every month...so fix it)....Lol

Which is kind of ridiculous when I've personally known most of these techs over a decade, and we aren't a Kinko's or something that has real silly operators trying strange customer supplied stocks/putting their butt on the glass/etc... Some of the stuff they come up with has very flawed logic. "Oh it won't run 11x17...you know once I fix this it won't be able to run 8.5x11." "This machine can't run long/short grain paper." (used interchangeably because they don't know what that even means). "If I make it run cardstock it won't run text weight." Some days I just have to smh.

But when those techs show up we just know what to expect and how to get them to actually fix the equipment.

Our Xerox techs were always blaming the paper. Not had one Ricoh tech say that yet though.

Our Xerox techs were always blaming the paper. Not had one Ricoh tech say that yet though.

Guess I should count my blessings because in 3 years they never once blamed the paper or room conditions. But I do think we have a couple great techs in our area.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back