Standard Finishing
4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100% K photoshop PDF prints murky

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 100% K photoshop PDF prints murky

    Had a customer email in a PDF business card file this morning. As always I checked out the colours, it is supposed to be one colour black. Of course file is set 100% CMYK. I convert to 1 colour black 100% in acrobat (latest update). When printing I notice the black does not look that great. I run some calibrations and same thing. I then do a test, I make a black box in Indesign 100% black, put that on a sheet with the customers original unchanged PDF with registration black as well as the converted file and a 100% black photoshop file I made to compare. Indesign 100% black looks great, as does the registration black, but the photoshop file looks like the converted pdf. So this leads me to photoshop being the culprit.

    Why is solid black files from Photoshop not the same as a solid black from indesign? This is printing on a Versant 2100.

  • #2
    I don't know the answer to your question but I would have left the file as CMYK, 100% black. Zero for the other colours of course.

    Comment


    • #3
      Does the input profile setting in the RIP match the working space profile of the Photoshop file?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DYP View Post
        Does the input profile setting in the RIP match the working space profile of the Photoshop file?
        Not sure, it was a supplied PDF from the customer. When I checked the properties it said it was made using Photoshop CS2 Windows. I do not use photoshop a whole lot or play with any profiles. I did try a test and made a file 100% in Photoshop, saved as PSD dropped in Indesign, made PDF and printed it. Same murky look.

        We did end up printing it 100% CMYK as the black looked good that way. We did show our customer the file, and how it printed and they OK'd printing in colour as we did. Not even sure why they would have set up this card in photoshop, they are supposedly a design and consulting company. This is something that should have been setup in Indesign or Illustrator.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wonderings View Post
          they are supposedly a design and consulting company.
          Isn't this something we've all heard before. Likely someone with a bootleg copy of Photoshop that they're learning at your expense. I've had my share of Photoshop files with 15 or 20 type layers. Each line, or sometimes each word on separate layers. Based on that, who knows how they would have made the PDF. I've received what should have maybe been 500Kb or 1MB PDF files and somehow the customer has managed to make about a 10MB file out of it. I've no idea how they would even do it.
          Pitstop is good for reading & correcting colours in PDF files. Glad you got it printed

          Comment


          • #6
            Of course I made the CMYK + 3 spot color 64 page 8.5 x 11" booklet in Photoshop with 1/16" margins. I've saved everything as 300 DPI as is STANDARD across the printing industry and now you're telling me that my files aren't print-ready?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by keith1 View Post

              Isn't this something we've all heard before. Likely someone with a bootleg copy of Photoshop that they're learning at your expense. I've had my share of Photoshop files with 15 or 20 type layers. Each line, or sometimes each word on separate layers. Based on that, who knows how they would have made the PDF. I've received what should have maybe been 500Kb or 1MB PDF files and somehow the customer has managed to make about a 10MB file out of it. I've no idea how they would even do it.
              Pitstop is good for reading & correcting colours in PDF files. Glad you got it printed
              But how else are they supposed to apply 15 different layer styles to body text, and really drive their message home?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Danny Whitehead View Post

                But how else are they supposed to apply 15 different layer styles to body text, and really drive their message home?
                Agreed, it really needs to be “more branded”:

                http://www.27bslash6.com/brochure.html


                Stephen Marsh
                Comments are personal and my views may not be shared by my employer or partners.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wonderings View Post
                  Had a customer email in a PDF business card file this morning. As always I checked out the colours, it is supposed to be one colour black. Of course file is set 100% CMYK. I convert to 1 colour black 100% in acrobat (latest update). When printing I notice the black does not look that great. I run some calibrations and same thing. I then do a test, I make a black box in Indesign 100% black, put that on a sheet with the customers original unchanged PDF with registration black as well as the converted file and a 100% black photoshop file I made to compare. Indesign 100% black looks great, as does the registration black, but the photoshop file looks like the converted pdf. So this leads me to photoshop being the culprit.

                  Why is solid black files from Photoshop not the same as a solid black from indesign? This is printing on a Versant 2100.
                  When you say your are printing it...are you printing it as grayscale? Many times that will convert the solid 100% black to something around 86% percent black. It could also be something to do with Photoshop deals in raster images while InDesign type is vector. Text can look vector at output from Photoshop if saved directly as a .psd or .pdf but the text is still image at whatever resolution the photoshop file was created at but the edge of the text outputs smoothly because photoshop adds a test clipping path to it. But if the file is saved as something like a jpeg file it does not use the text clipping path. Then it just becomes an image with anti-aliased edges at the resolution created at.
                  Joe
                  OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Stephen Marsh View Post

                    Agreed, it really needs to be “more branded”:

                    http://www.27bslash6.com/brochure.html


                    Stephen Marsh
                    I think most of us have lived through that exchange, or similar.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Joe View Post

                      When you say your are printing it...are you printing it as grayscale? Many times that will convert the solid 100% black to something around 86% percent black. It could also be something to do with Photoshop deals in raster images while InDesign type is vector. Text can look vector at output from Photoshop if saved directly as a .psd or .pdf but the text is still image at whatever resolution the photoshop file was created at but the edge of the text outputs smoothly because photoshop adds a test clipping path to it. But if the file is saved as something like a jpeg file it does not use the text clipping path. Then it just becomes an image with anti-aliased edges at the resolution created at.
                      I converted it to grayscale in Acrobat DC before printing. The makeup after converting to grayscale was 100% black. I also did a test and made a 100% black file from Photoshop and it looked the same.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wonderings View Post

                        I converted it to grayscale in Acrobat DC before printing. The makeup after converting to grayscale was 100% black. I also did a test and made a 100% black file from Photoshop and it looked the same.
                        But what kind of color management is being used when printed? On the printed sample, if you look at the 'solid' black with a loupe, do you see dots in it?
                        Joe
                        OS: Mac OS X 10.10.2 - RIP: Prinergy Connect 6.1 - CTP: Luscher XPose! 160 (2)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stephen Marsh View Post
                          THANK YOU,
                          The link made my day!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stephen Marsh View Post

                            Agreed, it really needs to be “more branded”:

                            http://www.27bslash6.com/brochure.html


                            Stephen Marsh
                            Ok, that was funny! Reminds me of the Sappi Off Register videos!

                            Comment

                            4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                            CanonAleyantDuploStandard Finishing

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 5367 users online. 94 members and 5273 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

                            Working...
                            X