Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Book

What kind of equipment do you use to print a digital black and white book?

Before any of the members can give you an accurate answer, they would need more information.

What quantity & frequency?
    What size is the book?
    What kind of paper?
    Are the covers & insides the same stock, or, would you be using mixed stock (ex: 80# gloss cover for the outsides, 60# gloss text for the insides)?
    How many pages?
    Is there variable text and/or pictures and diagrams, or, is it all static/generic?
    What kind of binding for the book (saddle-stitched, perfect bind, spiral, etc.)
    Would you be doing that bind operation offline, or, are you intending on inline?

Comment

I use my computer to print a digital black and white book.

Comment

Specs are:
        Qty: 100 to 1000 books
        Sizes:8.5 x 11, 5.5 x 8.5, 6x9
        100 page to 400 page
        Paper 50# 60# offset
        Separate cover

Comment

So anywhere from 10,000 sheets to 400,000 sheets. That's not vague at all...

Comment

100 page to 400 pages was pretty specific.

Comment

Originally posted by KelvynPress View Post
              I guess technically, but that range is basically giving you the option of an office printer up to a production printer. that large of a variable in pages and qty is like asking if a bicycle or a car is better for traveling between 1 and 1000 miles.

Comment

Depends what equipment you have, what the workload's like on your machines, and the EXACT quantity and page count. And I wouldn't even presume 'digital'. It could potentially be economical to run 1000 on a one-colour press.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                  I use my computer to print a digital black and white book.
                  Sometimes I use my mobile device or kindle tablet

Comment

Originally posted by KelvynPress View Post
                    might be specific, but that was not what namelessentity was trying to point out.

a 100 page book ( lets a assume that is 100 pdf pages that are 8.5x11 lat largest, paginated 2 up on 11x17 sheets - so, 25 sheets duplex min...time 100 copies min
                    - that is 2,500 sheets printed. Great digital job.

a 400 page book max , same as above, is 100 folded sheets and if they order 1000 books max
                    - that is 100,000 printed sheets.

You print that digital in my shop i would fire you immediately.

Thats is an offset job, so, either but a 1 color offset press, or outsource it.

Michael Jahn - Slightly used PDF Evangelist
                    Simi Valley California

Comment

I love how we all try to pitch in to help this person but they can't be asked to describe their situation more clearly.

Comment

Hi, We use KM 1051 & KM 1052 to print Bw on 80gsm offset paper, both machines are a workhorse.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelejahn View Post

a 400 page book max , same as above, is 100 folded sheets and if they order 1000 books max
                          - that is 100,000 printed sheets.

You print that digital in my shop i would fire you immediately.

Thats is an offset job, so, either but a 1 color offset press, or outsource it.
                          This is the type of job we do every day.

You print that job offset in my shop, while I won't fire you, we will have a serious discussion about true manufacturing cost.

The plates for that job will cost about the same as the clicks, add in the sheet utilization difference between offset and digital, make ready sheets and folding time, and digital is cheaper.

Comment

Garbage in, garbage out.

Comment

Originally posted by kheslin View Post

"The plates for that job will cost about the same as the clicks,,,"

How so ?

Michael Jahn - Slightly used PDF Evangelist
                              Simi Valley California

Comment

Unconfigured Static HTML Module

Collapse

Static HTML Module Content
                              4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimateTharstern
                              CanonDuploStandard Finishing

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4744 users online. 112 members and 4632 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X