Canon C700 Electrical Requirements in USA

CliffSpielman

Hi. I have an opportunity to acquire a Canon C700 with a low meter and am pondering initially having it in my garage until I find the right office space. On the Canon USA site, it lists the "plug" as "Single-Phase 208 V/20 A # NEMA 6-20P"

Does anybody know if there is an adapter or other method which allows this plug to work with a standard 110 volt 15 amp household circuit outlet? I see cheap adapters online but, not being an electrical person, they don't make sense to me since if the equipment requires more than the usual 15 amps on my house's circuits, that's a bigger problem than just making plugs fit.

My other alternatives are to have a new circuit added to the house, or...just get an office. But that might be a month away.

Thanks.

I would consult a trusted electrician first before this forum, he'll be able to give you advice on how to do it properly without catching your house on fire.

Hi. I have an opportunity to acquire a Canon C700 with a low meter and am pondering initially having it in my garage until I find the right office space. On the Canon USA site, it lists the "plug" as "Single-Phase 208 V/20 A # NEMA 6-20P"

Does anybody know if there is an adapter or other method which allows this plug to work with a standard 110 volt 15 amp household circuit outlet? I see cheap adapters online but, not being an electrical person, they don't make sense to me since if the equipment requires more than the usual 15 amps on my house's circuits, that's a bigger problem than just making plugs fit.

My other alternatives are to have a new circuit added to the house, or...just get an office. But that might be a month away.

Thanks.

There is no adapter that will do that. There are step down transformers that would go the other way but your 110V 15A circuit will only be able to supply 1650 watts and you need 4160.

Thanks to all. An electrician stopped by today and I'm able to add a new 20 or 30 amp (depending on the press) circuit to my existing wiring. Whether I get the C700 or not, I wanted to see if I can accommodate a press in my garage. I'd still like to get an office shortly but at least I can push that off a bit.

Apparently my house has a total of 150 amps available, and for whatever reason there a couple of available spots for new circuit breakers in the breaker box (whatever it's called). It's darn hot here in NM though, the garage is the last resort.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PROPER POWER! Good, Clean power is a must. How is the unit configured?

I don't know exactly how it's configured. I believe it has a finishing unit or two, such as saddle stitcher. I'm leaning towards not moving forward with a lease on a used press. There are so many new options, it doesn't make sense to me. Regardless I may start off with setting up the press in the garage though.

Good luck! Let us know how things go. Did you look at the power specs I uploaded? That will help you quite a bit. Let me know if you need any other specs.

Thanks to all. An electrician stopped by today and I'm able to add a new 20 or 30 amp (depending on the press) circuit to my existing wiring. Whether I get the C700 or not, I wanted to see if I can accommodate a press in my garage. I'd still like to get an office shortly but at least I can push that off a bit.

Apparently my house has a total of 150 amps available, and for whatever reason there a couple of available spots for new circuit breakers in the breaker box (whatever it's called). It's darn hot here in NM though, the garage is the last resort.

I think your bigger problem will be climate control!

I think your bigger problem will be climate control!

Agreed. I'm leaning towards Not getting the wiring done in my garage. I'm not up for installing an A/C system in the garage, which would take care of the climate control issue. Shortly I'll just take the plunge and get an office space, though I've enjoyed being home based for many years.

Agreed. I'm leaning towards Not getting the wiring done in my garage. I'm not up for installing an A/C system in the garage, which would take care of the climate control issue. Shortly I'll just take the plunge and get an office space, though I've enjoyed being home based for many years.

Find some space inside the house :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back