Standard Finishing
4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Settings for Quality on Xerox J75 with Fiery

Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Settings for Quality on Xerox J75 with Fiery

    I know this is a really broad question but interested in getting some ideas. I'm trying to print a piece for a customer that is on coated stock with some light tan solids. I've tried a lot of combinations of settings and I'm not happy with the quality. I'm seeing a cross-hatch looking pattern on all of the solids. Does anyone have suggestion on how to improve the quality?

  • #2
    Can you provide a picture so we know exactly what you are seeing? Also your current settings, and exact stock being used..

    I generally use a setting relative to the gsm of the paper...100# coated card stock I will set at 221-280 coated, or whatever.

    If it has a mottled appearance, which I sometimes get on certain stocks...I will then go and adjust the transfer settings...lower or higher, until I get something a little nicer.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is on 80lb coated stock. You can really notice the pattern I'm talking about in the light text.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hmm is your dot pattern set weird? Do you have the ability to print some half-tone test pages and see if shows up on different papers and different files, and to see if the problem is isolated to only one color?

        If it is a texture in the paper I would try creating a custom paper profile and setting the image transfer to 80%. If that makes it worse...then go to 120%.

        A side note...your color separations appear to be misregistered. That's usually a service call issue though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ksherrod View Post
          A side note...your color separations appear to be misregistered. That's usually a service call issue though.
          Definitely something to call service about, but a quick fix that usually works is open up the colour drums and close them again, causes them to recalibrate. Had to do this many times on our old J75.

          Comment


          • #6
            This should help. I think you have 1200 DPI enabled and maybe 600 dot or stochastic? If you set them back to what I have it should be the best "quality".

            Edit: Gloss mode is something I use for certain jobs, it's not something I suggest as a default.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ksherrod View Post
              A side note...your color separations appear to be misregistered. That's usually a service call issue though.
              I've noticed this before under a loupe and I think I tried to get them to fix. Our service people are not very good. On a lot of various quality issues they just come out and try stuff and just show me samples that are not improved until I finally give up. Any idea specifically what could be causing this so I might be able to suggest it to the service guy?


              Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
              This should help. I think you have 1200 DPI enabled and maybe 600 dot or stochastic? If you set them back to what I have it should be the best "quality".

              Edit: Gloss mode is something I use for certain jobs, it's not something I suggest as a default.
              Thank you!!!! It looks really good now. Pretty much exactly what I was going for. Not perfect but I think it's probably about the best a J75 can do.
              Last edited by jpfulton248; 05-29-2018, 08:43 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jpfulton248 View Post

                I've noticed this before under a loupe and I think I tried to get them to fix. Our service people are not very good. On a lot of various quality issues they just come out and try stuff and just show me samples that are not improved until I finally give up. Any idea specifically what could be causing this so I might be able to suggest it to the service guy?




                Thank you!!!! It looks really good now. Pretty much exactly what I was going for. Not perfect but I think it's probably about the best a J75 can do.
                Yeah I think we all deal with that...some techs are more knowledgeable and or more instinctively helpful than others. Just have to be persistent...if the tech can't figure it out, demand it be escalated to the specialist.



                As suggested by another poster...sometimes this can be resolved by re-seating the drums. But not always. I don't remember if on this machine the techs actually can adjust this, or if it is caused by a bad part. If its only in yellow for example...common sense would suggest that its related to something that only deals with that color... Drum, developer housing, ROS, boards...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ksherrod View Post

                  As suggested by another poster...sometimes this can be resolved by re-seating the drums. But not always. I don't remember if on this machine the techs actually can adjust this, or if it is caused by a bad part. If its only in yellow for example...common sense would suggest that its related to something that only deals with that color... Drum, developer housing, ROS, boards...
                  Had the guy come out today just to drop off a drum. They let us keep a drum on the shelf for customer replacement but they still make us put in a service call for it and have a tech drop it off rather than simple supply ordering. While he was out I showed him that Magenta seemed off registration. He ran a calibration and said it looked fine on the tests but recalibrated anyway. I haven't checked yet to see it it helped anything.


                  Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
                  This should help. I think you have 1200 DPI enabled and maybe 600 dot or stochastic? If you set them back to what I have it should be the best "quality".

                  Edit: Gloss mode is something I use for certain jobs, it's not something I suggest as a default.
                  So this is weird. These settings were a huge improvement but then I went in and decided to adjust the transfer voltage as well. I profiled the paper and adjusted the setting then printed a sample. It looked awesome. Turns out I accidentally set the weight to 80gsm instead of 270gsm. No idea why it looks better OR how it can even fuse the toner properly at 80gsm setting on 270gsm stock but it looks better than any other setting I tried.
                  Last edited by jpfulton248; 05-30-2018, 10:44 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jpfulton248 View Post

                    Had the guy come out today just to drop off a drum. They let us keep a drum on the shelf for customer replacement but they still make us put in a service call for it and have a tech drop it off rather than simple supply ordering. While he was out I showed him that Magenta seemed off registration. He ran a calibration and said it looked fine on the tests but recalibrated anyway. I haven't checked yet to see it it helped anything.




                    So this is weird. These settings were a huge improvement but then I went in and decided to adjust the transfer voltage as well. I profiled the paper and adjusted the setting then printed a sample. It looked awesome. Turns out I accidentally set the weight to 80gsm instead of 270gsm. No idea why it looks better OR how it can even fuse the toner properly at 80gsm setting on 270gsm stock but it looks better than any other setting I tried.
                    I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post

                      I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.
                      Sorry. The settings you gave me were a huge improvement. Once I saw the improvement I also decided to try adjusting the transfer voltage. In doing so I accidentally set the stock weight to 80gsm instead of the actual weight which is 270gsm. As it turns out the best quality I've gotten is by running the job with the weight setting at 80gsm.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Did you run the whole job? I've noticed the same thing on my machine but after 10 or so sheets the transfer of the toner is crap. Usually this is me not paying attention when I put the paper in, not me trying to adjust settings for best transfer performance.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
                          Did you run the whole job? I've noticed the same thing on my machine but after 10 or so sheets the transfer of the toner is crap. Usually this is me not paying attention when I put the paper in, not me trying to adjust settings for best transfer performance.
                          I did indeed. The quality dropped a bit after 100 sheets or so but still better than anything else. Side benefit is the job ran at 11ppm instead of the 3ppm I was getting when it was running at 270gsm.

                          As an aside I noticed the color shifted throughout the job which is frustrating. Should I be stopping and recalibrating with the spectrophotometer mid-job?

                          Comment

                          4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                          CanonAleyantDuploStandard Finishing

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 4673 users online. 107 members and 4566 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

                          Working...
                          X