Konica C3080 vs. Xerox V180

openletter

I'm looking to upgrade my equipment and just got pricing back from both machines (see below). Can anyone provide a recommendation based on their experience with either of these machines or their predecessors? Also, how does this pricing look. I will be mostly printing on 11x17 paper.

Xerox V180
High Capacity Friction Feeder
Standard Finisher
EFI Embedded controller
ES2000 Spectrophotometer
$805.31/month for 60 months
click charges - B/W - $0.0099 all sizes; Color - $0.036 <8.5x14, $0.39 up to 11x17, $0.071 >11x17

Konica C3080P
High Capacity Vacuum Feeder
Standard Finisher
Envelope Fuser
EFI Embedded controller
ES2000 Spectrophotometer
$839.00/month for 60 months <-- I can likely get them down to $805.00
click charges - B/W - $0.009 all sizes; Color - $0.039 all sizes

All unit are very comparable with the exception of the Vacuum feeder for the Konica machine. The Xerox has a friction feeder with air puffers.

We have a Versant 2100 and it has been a rock solid production machine. No clue about the Konica. There are a reviews here of the V80 and they are generally pretty good. I would get out and demo both machines, take your toughest jobs and see how they run. Make sure you set up everything, bring files on a USB stick and prep everything on the fiery with them.

Our Versant has been very stable colour wise which has been great knowing a year down the road I will be printing the same, or very close to what I had printed before.

We have a Konica C-1060 that we have been running for over 3 years now. Prior to that we had a Konica LD-6500. We have been happy with our C-1060 as well as the service we get. We run primarily a 12x18 sheet size, both cover and text weights with gloss, dull and uncoated finishes. Color is stable and we get very few jams from the feeder.

One feature that we have liked about Konica is that with the type of toner their machines use, you don't get the glossy toner sheen that some other printers give you. So, for example, if you are printing on 100# dull stock, the sheen from the toner gives a dull look and not a glossy look like some other printers. That was a big selling point for us as we wanted our digital printing to match closely to our offset printing.

Pricing for the Konica that you mentioned seems about right.

Why are the 180s machine prices so low? I was talking to someone in my region who was paying about the same base charge. Our 2100 we got in 2014 with a booklet maker and SFT was more than 3 times the $800/mo. Though our click charge is less.

We have had problems with the friction feed, but they can usually be fixed by regular cleanings and replacement. Oddly enough, un-coated cover stock seems to give us the most grief. Coated sheets almost never jam.

Last edited:
Why are the 180s machine prices so low? I was talking to someone in my region who was paying about the same base charge. Our 2100 we got in 2014 with a booklet maker and SFT was more than 3 times the $800/mo. Though our click charge is less.

We have had problems with the friction feed, but they can usually be fixed by regular cleanings and replacement. Oddly enough, un-coated cover stock seems to give us the most grief. Coated sheets almost never jam.

I'll keep my eyes on that but I've honestly never had any weird jams in my J75. The machine is pretty much flawless for the feeding. We're due to receive the V180P on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back