Standard Finishing
4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What medium-duty digital press to buy? (Small print shop)

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buttonpresser View Post
    Really wish I could afford one of these Versant 80's but I'm locked into the budget I have ($7000).
    if you only have $7000 have you considered the C75/J75, maybe even look at the C550/C560 range, would have thought there are plenty of them available now with fairly low click counts and embedded fiery.

Comment

Originally posted by rainman23 View Post

if you only have $7000 have you considered the C75/J75, maybe even look at the C550/C560 range, would have thought there are plenty of them available now with fairly low click counts and embedded fiery.
      Personally I wouldn’t touch a c550/c560 with a 1,000 foot pole. We’ve got one and it’s absolutely pants.

With a $7,000 budget, I would be looking at a Xerox J75/C75. Get the J75 if you can as it is a bit better built than the C75 and from what I’ve seen the alignment and colour consistency is pretty solid. The J75 also has an inline spectrophotometer.

Having said that, I would definitely consider something like the Oki C931 (think the current model is C911) as another member posted. We’ve just bought a used C931 for dirt cheap and it’s actually pretty good. Can take 350gsm card no problem (bet it could take 400gsm at a push).

Don't be fooled into thinking you need a big flashy looking machine if something like the Oki would be sufficient.
      Last edited by gazfocus; 07-09-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I probably would steer clear of the 700, anything out there will be getting pretty old and probably has a lot of "miles" on it, and was never as robust as the later models.

We have a couple J75s and they are pretty decent. We do run them hard and they absolutely go down. When they are running though they are workhorses, if you have a strong operator that is able to keep it dialed in registration and color-wise. I'm not sure if it'll blow you away, but in your situation (like our former situation, we had 2045/2060/6060/8000) just about anything would be an upgrade. I've never had a customer call up and say that they had a problem with our print quality and they keep coming back so must be good enough for them.

Our J75s have the booklet-making, C and Z folders, staplers, hole punchers... The booklet-making/square binding is great, we use it all the time. The Z Folding and 3HP is very useful for one customer with engineering drawings that we run 11x17, then do a 1/2 Z fold and drill on them. It sucks for tri-folding 8.5x11s, doesn't really line up great and no control over it at the machine level.

I wouldn't want to run 40k every month on a low-end machine without a service contract.

These machines automatically "die" at 10 million impressions...this is built in at the factory. After 10 million you have to pitch it. One of our machines has about 2 million (mostly 11x17 and larger) and it certainly shows it in terms of reliability. The other has less than 500,000 and is a bit more reliable.
        Last edited by ksherrod; 07-11-2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gazfocus View Post

Personally I wouldn’t touch a c550/c560 with a 1,000 foot pole. We’ve got one and it’s absolutely pants.

With a $7,000 budget, I would be looking at a Xerox J75/C75. Get the J75 if you can as it is a bit better built than the C75 and from what I’ve seen the alignment and colour consistency is pretty solid. The J75 also has an inline spectrophotometer.

Having said that, I would definitely consider something like the Oki C931 (think the current model is C911) as another member posted. We’ve just bought a used C931 for dirt cheap and it’s actually pretty good. Can take 350gsm card no problem (bet it could take 400gsm at a push).

Don't be fooled into thinking you need a big flashy looking machine if something like the Oki would be sufficient.
          I've never really looked at the Oki but I saw your post and decided to look it up. With have a couple of (aging) Phaser 7500s, which we use primarily for envelopes and engineering drawings (11x34" 20# paper), and sometimes oversize color prints (12x25" or so on gloss cover or text). Have you ever used the Oki like that? And can you get maintenance/supply agreements on them?

Comment

Originally posted by ksherrod View Post

I've never really looked at the Oki but I saw your post and decided to look it up. With have a couple of (aging) Phaser 7500s, which we use primarily for envelopes and engineering drawings (11x34" 20# paper), and sometimes oversize color prints (12x25" or so on gloss cover or text). Have you ever used the Oki like that? And can you get maintenance/supply agreements on them?
            The good thing I’ve found with the Oki’s is that they have amazing media handling compared to many other machines. Envelopes work really well in the Oki due to the straight single path from the multipurpose tray.

I’ve not tried oversized prints on it but I know it does work.

We are in the UK and there are a few suppliers that do service contracts for the Oki printers, but the cheapest quote we had was 4 times the click charge of the new Konica we’ve just ordered. It would be much cheaper to buy the printer and toners and rely on the manufacturers warranty.

Comment

The 931e with a straight shooter feeder and conveyor is great for envelopes, heck it even does 6 3/4 Remit envelopes Duplex!

I have printed 12x18 10pt C2S on it in a pinch, it actually came out good since you can keep it feeding straight using the MPT to rear exit.
              (2) Ricoh Pro 7110SX digital printers
              OKI C931e with Straight Shooter Envelope feeder

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
              CanonAleyantDuploStandard Finishing

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5423 users online. 128 members and 5295 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
              X