Standard Finishing
4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting Konica C5501 & C6500 to one external rip?

Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Connecting Konica C5501 & C6500 to one external rip?

    Hi all,

    We recently had our C6500 external rip hard drive die on us and while we are waiting for it to get repaired I thought is there any way to connect both our C6500 and C5501 (This also has an external Rip) together and run both on one rip?

    Is this possible at all? - I thought go maybe this could be done through Ethernet cable. However, I haven't found much information on this and thought this would be the best place to ask.

    Any advice would be greatly received.

    Regards,

    SeBEx

  • #2
    No, not possible. You might be able to connect it, but the software won't permit it. Fiery controllers are all machine-specific.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Steve0 View Post
      No, not possible. You might be able to connect it, but the software won't permit it. Fiery controllers are all machine-specific.
      Hi Steve, Thank you for your comment. However, I noticed on my C5501 fiery that there was also a C6501 registered on the controller too, Hence why I thought/think you could connect two machines to 1 fiery rip (ours is the Pro 80)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SeBEx View Post

        Hi Steve, Thank you for your comment. However, I noticed on my C5501 fiery that there was also a C6501 registered on the controller too, Hence why I thought/think you could connect two machines to 1 fiery rip (ours is the Pro 80)
        What we have here is a mixup in terminology. People often confuse "Fiery" (the print controller) with "Command Workstation" (the user interface software associated with the Fiery).

        Each printer gets its own individual Fiery controller. That's hard and fast. But one copy of Command Workstation can be used to monitor and manage multiple Fiery controllers. So if you see the C6501 and the C5501 both in Command Workstation, it does not mean that one Fiery controller is controlling both machines.

        I could install Command Workstation on a PC or a Mac -- which is not a Fiery controller -- and use it to monitor and manage up to 10 Fiery-driven printers.

        It's also possible to have a Fiery controller that can't run Command Workstation directly. You have a Pro80, which is a Windows-based computer, so you can use Command Workstation right on it. But other machines have smaller "embedded" or "bustled" Fiery controllers that run on Linux, and you can't load Command Workstation on Linux. You'd have to run CWS on a separate PC or Mac.

        Comment


        • #5
          Assuming he is right in the OP and internal fiery is dead, could there be an onboard pci card (or something like that) he could go usb to and still be able to print to the machine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bill kahny View Post
            Assuming he is right in the OP and internal fiery is dead, could there be an onboard pci card (or something like that) he could go usb to and still be able to print to the machine.
            Not to my knowledge. When there's a Fiery in the configuration, there is no KM RIP on production machines...but my knowledge of those earlier products is very limited, so I might be wrong. (It happens.) That is certainly the case with later models.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you for your comments, turns out it just needed some TLC in the form our dust removal and RAM re-seating and everything is back to normal.

              Comment

              4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimate
              CanonDuploStandard Finishing

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 4499 users online. 119 members and 4380 guests.

              Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

              Working...
              X