Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konica Minolta KM1 / Komori Impremia IS29

Does anyone have any insights into this digital press? There appears to be around 15-20 deployed in the US. I'm trying to objectively look at the market and price tag on the press to figure out why it would be attractive considering its cost (approx $1.5M). I'm not sure how cost is justified at 300 ppm/55 b2. I know some will say VDP and that might be right, but I can't imagine setting up the feeder for x stock for a 50 sheet job with out incurring considerable cost. This machine functions much like a traditional press so setup time is not as drag n drop as a copier. I do believe this technology is the future, but I'm struggling with penciling out the ROI. I'm assuming it's a non impression based service agreement plus consumables.

ROI falls apart, just like indigo 10000 + 12000, but when you raise the ROI and TCO the sales person just talks about some kind of high margin unicorn job that doesn’t exist to make the numbers not look utterly ridiculous or a case study on Shutterfly. Take any normal commercial job that is smaller then 13x19 and copy shop with a $25k color laser printer will make you look silly with a very similar looking output and you are paying $25k a month to finance that 1.5 million dollar press

Comment

I'm not downplaying the technology as I do think UV inkjet has some strong advantages when it comes to specific substrates. Early adoption of a technology isn't cheap. Shutterfly is a rather unique case (accounts for their purchase of four KM1s). Most decent digital presses coming in at less than 1/10 of this are supporting rather impressive substrate handling of upwards to 400-450GSM and accommodating 27"+ lengths.

Comment

Komori was very hungry to get an install of their OEM KM1, they put one into Worth Higgins for free and only charge clicks, that is one way to make the ROI work

Comment

So are you guys saying that the only payoff on these is to have a large volume of speciality work such as VDP? Would a company not benefit from having one of these to run booklets day in and day out? I understand a run size of 10k+ booklets would not be beneficial, but if you have a bunch of booklets in say the 40-60 page range and with runs under 10k, would you not be able to make the machine profitable?

Comment

I don't see why booklets would be a strong point for a press like this. It doesn't support mixed media nor does it support inline finishing. In realty the press is not even close to a conventional press in speed. A conventional sheet feed press runs at 12-16K sheets/hr vs 3k. In fact if you compare it with the top speed digital machines it is approx twice as fast (65 sheets/m 12x18" vs 55 b2 20x29). Looking at a booklet application you could only get 2 up on a b2 sheet so the extra space is pretty wasted. Bottom line.. you could buy two of the fastest digital copiers with inline booklet maker and multi paper drawer for continues operation and have finished booklets flying out. Oh yeah, and have money to run those machines for a single shift a year for 3 years. I'll take option 2 please.

Comment

Originally posted by AP90 View Post
              So are you guys saying that the only payoff on these is to have a large volume of speciality work such as VDP? Would a company not benefit from having one of these to run booklets day in and day out? I understand a run size of 10k+ booklets would not be beneficial, but if you have a bunch of booklets in say the 40-60 page range and with runs under 10k, would you not be able to make the machine profitable?
              I would be looking at at océ i300 for this application or possibly roll fed inkjet. You can get the i300 with inline booklet makers

Comment

Originally posted by JustinB View Post

I would be looking at at océ i300 for this application or possibly roll fed inkjet. You can get the i300 with inline booklet makers
                I300 doesn't even come close to the quality of the KM1 It's not even in the same league.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBAUltimate
                CanonAleyantDuploStandard Finishing

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3613 users online. 89 members and 3524 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                X