Standard Finishing
4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricoh 9100: Slip Sheets and Speed

Collapse
CanonKonica Minolta
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ricoh 9100: Slip Sheets and Speed

    I'm running a Ricoh 9100 and have a perfect bound book job coming up that calls for a slip sheet between each set. I know if I use a paper different than what the pages are on it will adjust fuser temperature even though the slip sheet is blank. To try to get around this I made the slip sheet identical to the paper the sheets are on. In this case it's 70# gloss text, so I duplicated that definition, renamed it 70# slipsheet and tried it. The actual slip sheet is a canary 50# text. It's definitely quicker this way than telling the press that the slip sheet is a different sheet than the pages, but it's still a lot slower than just manually inserting this slip sheet. The way I set up the slip sheet is by going to the "finishing" tab and enabling pad printing. Then I check the box where it says add pad back cover, and then I force it to the drawer I have the slip sheet paper in. Anybody come up with a better way to do this without the press losing so much time switching drawers? I thought about just adding another spread to this file and just printing it right with the file. If I understand the click charge, anything that goes through the fuser is a click, weather it's blank or not. Thanks.
    Tom M Ricoh ProC9100

  • #2
    Not sure how you do your workflow, but we 2 up if it's a letter size book and then split the stack on the cutter. In this case you could print a slip sheet with solid coverage. You should be able to get it to register as a 1 click for billing. You probably pay less for b/w if it really has that much impact.

    Comment


    • #3
      There's a slip sheet section under the Media tab.

      Comment


      • #4
        Mixed media has always been a struggle for Ricoh. If everything matches in the paper catalog you shouldn't see much of a slowdown. Make sure to check the fuser temp setting for the paper. The best mixed media I've seen is on our xerox versant. You can mix anything together with no slowdown at all. Other than that I prefer our Ricohs for most things.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks everyone for the responses, got some new things to think about and check out. Since I duplicated the paper definition I just assumed all of the advanced settings but now I want to see if fuser temp settings are the same. Let's forget about it for 2 days (if only it were that easy!) and enjoy the holiday weekend.
          Tom M Ricoh ProC9100

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmm. Ours slip sheets without skipping a beat. We use the media tab and insert a blank after last page - paper settings "same as document".

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gregbatch View Post
              Hmm. Ours slip sheets without skipping a beat. We use the media tab and insert a blank after last page - paper settings "same as document".
              Thanks Greg; I've been meaning to post a follow-up. I duplicated my paper definition for 70# gloss text and named it #70 gloss text SS (slip sheet). I put my canary 20 slip sheet paper in tray 4 and loaded tray 1 and 2 with the 70# gloss text. I set it up as a pad job in "finshing" forcing it to pull the slip sheet from tray#4 and it works pretty well. No hesitation at all to apply the slip sheet and about a 4-5 second delay while it switches back to the 70# gloss text.
              Tom M Ricoh ProC9100

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tpmar View Post

                Thanks Greg; I've been meaning to post a follow-up. I duplicated my paper definition for 70# gloss text and named it #70 gloss text SS (slip sheet). I put my canary 20 slip sheet paper in tray 4 and loaded tray 1 and 2 with the 70# gloss text. I set it up as a pad job in "finshing" forcing it to pull the slip sheet from tray#4 and it works pretty well. No hesitation at all to apply the slip sheet and about a 4-5 second delay while it switches back to the 70# gloss text.
                Have you tried setting 103, and 104 in the advanced paper settings to 7? It's fusing temp to feed for heating and pressure.
                Warning I am a Ricoh tech.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by msaeger View Post

                  Have you tried setting 103, and 104 in the advanced paper settings to 7? It's fusing temp to feed for heating and pressure.
                  Hey Msaeger; thanks for the suggestion. That's a new one to me. I made a note about this so next time I have to do this I'll give that a try.
                  Tom M Ricoh ProC9100

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you insert blank after last page using the exact same paper settings there should be no noticeable slowdown at all as gregbatch mentioned above. I only want to hang myself when truly running mixed media on the 9100, its like watching paint dry

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Manafaith View Post
                      If you insert blank after last page using the exact same paper settings there should be no noticeable slowdown at all as gregbatch mentioned above. I only want to hang myself when truly running mixed media on the 9100, its like watching paint dry
                      Yeah Manafaith; that's how it worked. Zero delay kicking out the canary sheet at the end of a set, then a slight delay (2-3 seconds) to switch back to the feed drawer for the pages. At that delay is when I would grab them off the finisher so it worked out good. But I know what you mean, if you legitimately have to run thick and thin papers, the delay can just kill you! Attached is the Ricoh sanctioned way to work around this problem. I have a regular job that I run and it uses 4 different papers and I've done this "averaging" described in this .pdf. It definitely helps, but is still pretty slow.
                      Attached Files
                      Tom M Ricoh ProC9100

                      Comment

                      Unconfigured Static HTML Module

                      Collapse

                      Static HTML Module Content
                      4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBAUltimateTharstern
                      CanonDuploStandard Finishing

                      What's Going On

                      Collapse

                      There are currently 4556 users online. 115 members and 4441 guests.

                      Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

                      Working...
                      X