Ricoh 9100: Slip Sheets and Speed

tpmar

I'm running a Ricoh 9100 and have a perfect bound book job coming up that calls for a slip sheet between each set. I know if I use a paper different than what the pages are on it will adjust fuser temperature even though the slip sheet is blank. To try to get around this I made the slip sheet identical to the paper the sheets are on. In this case it's 70# gloss text, so I duplicated that definition, renamed it 70# slipsheet and tried it. The actual slip sheet is a canary 50# text. It's definitely quicker this way than telling the press that the slip sheet is a different sheet than the pages, but it's still a lot slower than just manually inserting this slip sheet. The way I set up the slip sheet is by going to the "finishing" tab and enabling pad printing. Then I check the box where it says add pad back cover, and then I force it to the drawer I have the slip sheet paper in. Anybody come up with a better way to do this without the press losing so much time switching drawers? I thought about just adding another spread to this file and just printing it right with the file. If I understand the click charge, anything that goes through the fuser is a click, weather it's blank or not. Thanks.

Not sure how you do your workflow, but we 2 up if it's a letter size book and then split the stack on the cutter. In this case you could print a slip sheet with solid coverage. You should be able to get it to register as a 1 click for billing. You probably pay less for b/w if it really has that much impact.

Mixed media has always been a struggle for Ricoh. If everything matches in the paper catalog you shouldn't see much of a slowdown. Make sure to check the fuser temp setting for the paper. The best mixed media I've seen is on our xerox versant. You can mix anything together with no slowdown at all. Other than that I prefer our Ricohs for most things.

Thanks everyone for the responses, got some new things to think about and check out. Since I duplicated the paper definition I just assumed all of the advanced settings but now I want to see if fuser temp settings are the same. Let's forget about it for 2 days (if only it were that easy!) and enjoy the holiday weekend.

Hmm. Ours slip sheets without skipping a beat. We use the media tab and insert a blank after last page - paper settings "same as document".

Hmm. Ours slip sheets without skipping a beat. We use the media tab and insert a blank after last page - paper settings "same as document".

Thanks Greg; I've been meaning to post a follow-up. I duplicated my paper definition for 70# gloss text and named it #70 gloss text SS (slip sheet). I put my canary 20 slip sheet paper in tray 4 and loaded tray 1 and 2 with the 70# gloss text. I set it up as a pad job in "finshing" forcing it to pull the slip sheet from tray#4 and it works pretty well. No hesitation at all to apply the slip sheet and about a 4-5 second delay while it switches back to the 70# gloss text.

Thanks Greg; I've been meaning to post a follow-up. I duplicated my paper definition for 70# gloss text and named it #70 gloss text SS (slip sheet). I put my canary 20 slip sheet paper in tray 4 and loaded tray 1 and 2 with the 70# gloss text. I set it up as a pad job in "finshing" forcing it to pull the slip sheet from tray#4 and it works pretty well. No hesitation at all to apply the slip sheet and about a 4-5 second delay while it switches back to the 70# gloss text.

Have you tried setting 103, and 104 in the advanced paper settings to 7? It's fusing temp to feed for heating and pressure.

Have you tried setting 103, and 104 in the advanced paper settings to 7? It's fusing temp to feed for heating and pressure.

Hey Msaeger; thanks for the suggestion. That's a new one to me. I made a note about this so next time I have to do this I'll give that a try.

If you insert blank after last page using the exact same paper settings there should be no noticeable slowdown at all as gregbatch mentioned above. I only want to hang myself when truly running mixed media on the 9100, its like watching paint dry

If you insert blank after last page using the exact same paper settings there should be no noticeable slowdown at all as gregbatch mentioned above. I only want to hang myself when truly running mixed media on the 9100, its like watching paint dry

Yeah Manafaith; that's how it worked. Zero delay kicking out the canary sheet at the end of a set, then a slight delay (2-3 seconds) to switch back to the feed drawer for the pages. At that delay is when I would grab them off the finisher so it worked out good. But I know what you mean, if you legitimately have to run thick and thin papers, the delay can just kill you! Attached is the Ricoh sanctioned way to work around this problem. I have a regular job that I run and it uses 4 different papers and I've done this "averaging" described in this .pdf. It definitely helps, but is still pretty slow.

Attachments

• C9100 Speed for mixed Media 062017.pdf
    126.8 KB · Views: 324

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back