Xerox Versant 2 sided trimmer

AP90

Just wondered how many of you on here have this attached to your Versants to create full bleed booklets. We have had ours for a little under a year, and when it works good it is a great thing. Problem is, it is a bear to keep working good. Our biggest problem is that the trimmings do not fall down into the tray and back up into the machine causing jams. Also had a huge problem with covers being cut differently, but we now have a work around for that. Just wondering if anyone else has these problems or any other problems with the trimmer. It is wearing on me how much I'm constantly dealing with it.

Our biggest problem is that the trimmings do not fall down into the tray and back up into the machine causing jams. Also had a huge problem with covers being cut differently, but we now have a work around for that. Just wondering if anyone else has these problems or any other problems with the trimmer. It is wearing on me how much I'm constantly dealing with it.

We have the machine, but have none of those problems. Probably have run close to 7,500 booklets using the 2-sided trimmer and fore trimmer combined with 0 jams and no headaches. Sounds like the module is running out of spec, call technicians until it's fixed or replaced.

That many booklets since July, which is coincidentally when they released the new version of the trimmer/creaser and the RIP.

We have the machine, but have none of those problems. Probably have run close to 7,500 booklets using the 2-sided trimmer and fore trimmer combined with 0 jams and no headaches. Sounds like the module is running out of spec, call technicians until it's fixed or replaced.

That many booklets since July, which is coincidentally when they released the new version of the trimmer/creaser and the RIP.

We've actually already had the module replaced once. And I bet we call the techs once a month about the trimmer unit. The square fold unit is great, no problems there. The 2 sided is another story. Granted this year I would say were in the 50k range in booklets made using the trimmer. Way more booklets made than that. We do about 12-14k booklets a month. Just not all are full bleed. Surprisingly the actual booklet maker on the machine has been way more robust than the older ones. I believe I used to change out the old stapler unit once every 3-4 months. Were still on the original right now and going strong. Plus staples are sooooo much cheaper for this unit too.

I think the takeaway between my situation and yours is that we have different models of the trimmer. They released an update to the trimmer hardware and software right before we got our press in July.

I think the takeaway between my situation and yours is that we have different models of the trimmer. They released an update to the trimmer hardware and software right before we got our press in July.

Ah, Im going to have to bug my rep about this then since we have had so many problems with it. I mean we have had 2nd and 3rd level support in on this to help figure out the problems. At one point, it had a software issue where the insides were cut fine, but the cover was being cut so far off that a .25" white strip was showing on the bottom. And it wasn't an every now and then thing. It was every single book. The cutter thought it was doing its job properly. They did get that solved with software uploads. They ended up putting in an NVM for us so that we could adjust the covers to cut slightly larger or smaller because a lot of times our booklets "guts" would show on the top or bottom. Ive also found I have to adjust the gsm of say 80# gloss cover down into the 170's so it is closer to the 118gsm of the insides so that it is not cut crooked. Ill be shooting my rep a text tomorrow saying I spoke with someone and they haven't had any of these problems.

Ah, Im going to have to bug my rep about this then since we have had so many problems with it. I mean we have had 2nd and 3rd level support in on this to help figure out the problems. At one point, it had a software issue where the insides were cut fine, but the cover was being cut so far off that a .25" white strip was showing on the bottom. And it wasn't an every now and then thing. It was every single book. The cutter thought it was doing its job properly. They did get that solved with software uploads. They ended up putting in an NVM for us so that we could adjust the covers to cut slightly larger or smaller because a lot of times our booklets "guts" would show on the top or bottom. Ive also found I have to adjust the gsm of say 80# gloss cover down into the 170's so it is closer to the 118gsm of the insides so that it is not cut crooked. Ill be shooting my rep a text tomorrow saying I spoke with someone and they haven't had any of these problems.

Sounds like they knew about the problem and that's why the release came out. I would push them to concede and upgrade your trimmer module entirely, based on the fact that they won't be able to get a working trimmer (possibly) with this build of the trimmer module. You shouldn't have to jerk your GSM settings around like that. I run Lynx 100# C + Lynx 70# T booklets from 16 - 50 PP (mostly on the higher side) and have had not issues. Actually, I can't think of a single booklet that has come out at quality below what my customers would consider great - I've maybe removed 3 or 4 bad booklets since we got the machine. Tons of different sheet sizes and custom finished booklet sizes for what it's worth. If you're running enough clicks they should try to help you instead of putting production hurdles in front of you.

We've actually already had the module replaced once. And I bet we call the techs once a month about the trimmer unit. The square fold unit is great, no problems there. The 2 sided is another story. Granted this year I would say were in the 50k range in booklets made using the trimmer. Way more booklets made than that. We do about 12-14k booklets a month. Just not all are full bleed. Surprisingly the actual booklet maker on the machine has been way more robust than the older ones. I believe I used to change out the old stapler unit once every 3-4 months. Were still on the original right now and going strong. Plus staples are sooooo much cheaper for this unit too.

Change out the stapler every 3-4 months???? Our 2100 has the Xerox bookletmaker and we have never had the saddle stitcher serviced. We have run hundreds of thousands of books through it.

Change out the stapler every 3-4 months???? Our 2100 has the Xerox bookletmaker and we have never had the saddle stitcher serviced. We have run hundreds of thousands of books through it.

Yeah, we had the standard booklet maker on our old X1000i, and it seemed like every 3-4 months we would put a whole new stapler unit into it. It was often enough that the techs always had a spare on hand and taught me how to change it out. We haven't had a problem yet with the one on our 3100, which I'm assuming is way more robust as it will do 100 page coated text booklets no problem.

Sounds like they knew about the problem and that's why the release came out. I would push them to concede and upgrade your trimmer module entirely, based on the fact that they won't be able to get a working trimmer (possibly) with this build of the trimmer module. You shouldn't have to jerk your GSM settings around like that. I run Lynx 100# C + Lynx 70# T booklets from 16 - 50 PP (mostly on the higher side) and have had not issues. Actually, I can't think of a single booklet that has come out at quality below what my customers would consider great - I've maybe removed 3 or 4 bad booklets since we got the machine. Tons of different sheet sizes and custom finished booklet sizes for what it's worth. If you're running enough clicks they should try to help you instead of putting production hurdles in front of you.

Yeah that definitely doesn't sound like the experience that were having with ours. And we do a fair amount of clicks each month. Usually averaging around 150-175k clicks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back