Need a Machine for Small Volume Envelope Printing

Forgot Lanier = Ricoh, check into the new Ricoh 7200 I have heard it can do envelopes better than the 7100.

I just watched a video on it. It looks great. perhaps I will be looking into a new production machine next year.

Hi, we are a small printer shop, with a really small envelopes production.

For printing black and white or big mass in color we use a Xerox Versant 80, but the click charge is high when there is a small color area, in that case we used a ColorQube 9203, which was a pain in the ass, slow and a really small tray load for this porpuse. Now, we use a HP PageWide 472, it does not have a great quality printing, but it's cheap, fast, and you can print about 100 envelopes per load.

Our production printer is Lanier C5100s. I can't get it do envelopes. It is supposed to be unable to do NCR, but I run NCR through it without a problem. The only time I run NCR through it is when I need to number the forms; otherwise, I run NCR through the duplicator.

You have this machine? https://www.ricoh-usa.com/en/products/pd/pro-c5100s-color-laser-production-printer/_/R-404493

I have people that run many envelopes on those. You need to the smaller ones like #10 with the flap open and disable double feed detection.

What issue do you have?

I see people run NCR on there too and I don't see issue with it.

We are also a small digital shop and do a fair volume in envelopes and NCR - small runs - typically 250 - 500 at a time. We also have utilized a duplicator for this work in the past (Risograph) and have had 3 or 4 of these over the last 20 years. In the last 8 yrs. we have added a Risograph Ink Jet (ComColor) and have converted most of this type of work to it. We can number in our software (CorelDraw) with the added bonus of being able to print colour on all parts of an NCR job. We also utilize a Ricoh 7100 for colour production work (which we are very happy with) but do not use it for either envelopes or NCR because of the click charges we would incur. Ink cost of running on the ComColor is well under $0.01 per print for this type of work. The machine can be a little finicky when feeding different stocks but with some patience it will do the job. The Xante would be an alternate but as I've had no experience with one can't really comment on costs or reliability. The colour quality would be better on the Xante being a toner printer but our customers also find the quality on the ComColor acceptable for this type of work. Used ComColors are in the marketplace - might be worth taking a look at. Of course Riso would be more than willing to sell you a new one too!!

I also have the Impressia, I have no problems with it, none. Does exactly what they say, I print envelopes.

You have this machine? https://www.ricoh-usa.com/en/products/pd/pro-c5100s-color-laser-production-printer/_/R-404493

I have people that run many envelopes on those. You need to the smaller ones like #10 with the flap open and disable double feed detection.

What issue do you have?

I see people run NCR on there too and I don't see issue with it.

Yes this is the machine. It would be a pain to open up the envelopes, but I could handle it since we don't do color envelopes very often. The one time I tried to print, I was sending them from the large capacity tray short edge feed and it wouldn't make it to the fuser before I got the red light. Am I supposed to feed them long edge feed then? Maybe I can try that today.

And NCRs haven't been a problem, thankfully. Our tech just said they weren't designed to run NCR, but if I can get them to, then go ahead.

We are also a small digital shop and do a fair volume in envelopes and NCR - small runs - typically 250 - 500 at a time. We also have utilized a duplicator for this work in the past (Risograph) and have had 3 or 4 of these over the last 20 years. In the last 8 yrs. we have added a Risograph Ink Jet (ComColor) and have converted most of this type of work to it. We can number in our software (CorelDraw) with the added bonus of being able to print colour on all parts of an NCR job. We also utilize a Ricoh 7100 for colour production work (which we are very happy with) but do not use it for either envelopes or NCR because of the click charges we would incur. Ink cost of running on the ComColor is well under $0.01 per print for this type of work. The machine can be a little finicky when feeding different stocks but with some patience it will do the job. The Xante would be an alternate but as I've had no experience with one can't really comment on costs or reliability. The colour quality would be better on the Xante being a toner printer but our customers also find the quality on the ComColor acceptable for this type of work. Used ComColors are in the marketplace - might be worth taking a look at. Of course Riso would be more than willing to sell you a new one too!!

I am thinking since our volume is low, we will probably stick with a duplicator. Besides, I like them and they are to run prints. Even brand new, it'll be cheaper than a used ComColor or maybe slightly more expensive. If we ever get a numbers up, I would be interested in looking at something to replace the C5100s with a model that does a little more.

Yes this is the machine. It would be a pain to open up the envelopes, but I could handle it since we don't do color envelopes very often. The one time I tried to print, I was sending them from the large capacity tray short edge feed and it wouldn't make it to the fuser before I got the red light. Am I supposed to feed them long edge feed then? Maybe I can try that today.

And NCRs haven't been a problem, thankfully. Our tech just said they weren't designed to run NCR, but if I can get them to, then go ahead.

What size is the envelope? They normally need to be fed long edge feed with the flap open.

What size is the envelope? They normally need to be fed long edge feed with the flap open.

Mostly #10. The other day, I was having trouble just setting up the machine for that size. Needless to say, I was getting red lights.

I am also looking for a small run envelope solution. Any info/experiences on the OKI 931DP+ or the PSI - Lasermail 7000 would be appreciated!
Does anyone run the OKI engine without a RIP? Or is it really needed? Thanks for the input.

like the older fiery's for the older engine (C9800, C930), we find we don't need the new fiery on the C941/C942 - We also run mostly short run... under 5000 pieces, but the new engine can handle larger runs...

methogod - are you using OKI envelope feeder on these? Are you finding consumable usage to be close to what the manufacturer estimates to be true? Thanks for the input!

I have used a bunch of these machines, if you know all the tricks you can get close to 1 cents per click on #10s. On the C941 we have the straight shooter - which i don't love its better then the original, but best feeder is the This style (IMO) if you want to go with the older machines... XANTE ILUMINA 502 or if your going new - i like this feeder the best. https://www.xante.com/product-infor...tal-multi-media-press-with-enterprise-feeder/ BUT its also a RICOH which i am not a fan of - but service - cost - etc.... have to see if you have the volume to make it work for you.

I have had the 931 for over 2 years now, I do not have a RIP hooked up to it, I have tried them and it wasn't worth it for what I do. The 931 has its quirks as all printers do but overall it does the job for me.

The 931 can even print Remit envelopes duplex.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back