Laminating a digital print problem

mulo_g

We do book binding and finishing, sometimes small quantities. We many a times need to digitally print a book cover and do hard book binding. We find that laminated digitally printed covers delaminate, especially after binding. We do thermal lamination 24 micron or so.
Can anyone suggest a solution? Are there any digital machines or inks that are OK for lamination? Is there a curing time needed after printing? Is the paper important factor? We use 170 GSM coated offset paper.
Thanks

General tips would be increase temp and pressure and run slower. Best option is to get a digital lamination film, we use ultrabond. Another tip I read recently was to leave the job overnight for the toner to cure fully, but on a 170gsm you might be best to seal in a bag to prevent damp getting into the stock, might cause creasing.

Depending on what kind of machine you are printing with, I was told that when printing off the EA based Xerox models that there is a gas that must evaporate off the sheets before you can laminate...this process apparently takes a few hours. So I would leave a job to sit overnight and also be sure to use lamination film that is designed for digital printing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back