Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light production printers

We are leasing our first new production machine. In the light production category. Our list is Ricoh Pro C510s, the Konica Minolta AccurioPress 6120 and still determining a Xerox. We had a demo on the Ricoh, Minolta in a few days. Any comments from recent buyers would be helpful. Have not been happy with the Canon in this category so we didn't add it to the mix.

What kind of monthly volume, paper size/weight, simplex/duplex, color vs black and white, do you plan to run? The 6120 is a black and white printer, the C510s is color I guess (don't see a lot about this online)?

Comment

20K - 40K month, mostly 12" x 18" or 13" x 19" cover weight 80#C - 110#C color both sides. sheet to sheet and front to back registration is a must, decent heavy solids is necessary knowing it wound't be the same a high end machine.

Comment

Originally posted by studioindustria View Post
        20K - 40K month, mostly 12" x 18" or 13" x 19" cover weight 80#C - 110#C color both sides. sheet to sheet and front to back registration is a must, decent heavy solids is necessary knowing it wound't be the same a high end machine.
        Well again the KM 6120 is a black and white machine.

In color that's probably getting a little up there for what I would call light production...I'm not sure you would find some of the equipment in this category adequate. 40k 12x18 = approximately 80k (since spec duty cycles are measured 8.5x11), unless that's 40k duplex 12x18, in which case that's 160k. Light production machines generally better suited for an office type environment printing out presentations, or other non-critical stuff. I don't think they're great for a lot of print for pay applications.

For tight registration as well as for decent performance on 110# cover, you may run into issues. I would take a lot of your own paper and files and test heavily to make sure any machine you look at meets your expectations...but the low end machines will struggle...in registration, quality, and speed (slow down for heavy paper weights).

Comment

You are correct I mane the 2060 for the color light production printer. my monthly usuage is based on letter 1-side so I'm counting a duplex 12" x 18" as 4 pages. I will take your suggestion and make a heavy test. I'll print 50 or more sheets with crop marks, 100# cover, color 2-sides to see how the color look sheet after sheet, I'll trim through the crop-marks on all sides so I can immediately see how registration is doing, sheet to sheet, "fish tailing" etc. Thanks for the suggestions. very helpful

Comment

As far as the Ricoh goes - you should step up into the Pro7100 series - the volumes and the weight of stock you are planning to run would not be light production in my mind especially with your need for precise registration and heavy solids. We run a 7100 and have been very happy with it in all respects. I would make a note however that duplexing 12x18 or 13x19 on heavier stocks with heavy solids on both sides is asking a lot and does slow down the run. We would run one side and then flip the stock and run the other to avoid jams and speed the run up.

Comment

Konica Minolta has a unit called the Intelligent Quality Optimizer which checks and adjusts for color and front to back registration on every sheet. The IQ unit was designed for KM's AccurioPress line. We have one at our shop and love it.

https://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/kmbs/t...lity-optimizer

Comment

thank you Bob and AC. I do realize that I am asking a lot of a light production press. I am in the early stages of evaluation. The sales reps are easy to claim that the small press can do it all. I realize otherwise. I learned a lot in the past week and now have better and more detailed questions for the sales and tech teams. Im am current t that state where you lean a little and realize that you know nothing. I received a demo pn the Konica Minolta C3070 and was surprised to lear that the same professional paper feed and finishing units that are available on the big presses are available on the small ones as well. I’m not sure if our budget allows us to go up to a machine in the class of the Ricoh 7200

Comment

Originally posted by studioindustria View Post
                  thank you Bob and AC. I do realize that I am asking a lot of a light production press. I am in the early stages of evaluation. The sales reps are easy to claim that the small press can do it all. I realize otherwise. I learned a lot in the past week and now have better and more detailed questions for the sales and tech teams. Im am current t that state where you lean a little and realize that you know nothing. I received a demo pn the Konica Minolta C3070 and was surprised to lear that the same professional paper feed and finishing units that are available on the big presses are available on the small ones as well. I’m not sure if our budget allows us to go up to a machine in the class of the Ricoh 7200
                  Yes my understanding is that the 3070 shares some of the lineage of the 6100, though I haven't demo'ed a 3070 specifically, I have ran a lot of tests on a 6100 and it is pretty nice. I believe the trade-off to the 3070 is maximum paper weights and slow downs for heavier papers. The 3070 is probably the range of machine you should be looking at.

I would expect the Ricoh 7200 to be a roughly competitive machine to the 3070, though faster and 5 color capable (though whether that is useful is up to you). I am demoing a 7210 tomorrow.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)CanonKBATharstern

Ultimate Toon Contest 2019

Collapse

Ultimate Toons Contest 2019

Ultimate Toons
                  Win a 1-year Ultimate Impostrip® Automation subscription
                  Ultimate Toons

CanonDuploStandard FinishingSmartsoft (Presswise)

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5408 users online. 88 members and 5320 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                  X