New vs. Refurbished

JodyTX

I'm considering purchasing a system similar to a Xerox 242/252, and I have received emails and faxes about used and refurbished machines.

Several of the emails say their machines are "100% Guaranteed for a Full Service Maintenance Agreement with Xerox." This would mean the exact same Xerox service people would work on my machine, no matter where I purchased it.

Does anybody have an experiences with this?

Thanks!

Not sure if this applies or not but, we bought a demo model (5000) off
the local Xerox floor here. I'm not exactly sure of the purchase
contract because I'm not the one who signed the deal. They
placed the machine, but it had no supplies except for what was in
it at that time and the serial number wasn't transferred over to us for
a day and a half. This made ordering them impossible because they'd
be shipped to the show room (luckily a local competitor was nice
enough to loan me what I needed to span the time it took to get
resupplied). It was billed as an extra to have it set up on our
network (I ended up doing it, drivers, PPD's and all for all our
work stations), and it came with no training on the Fiery RIP
(which I already was familiar with from our old 2060). The techs,
(who I already had good relations with) showed me what they could,
but admitted we should have payed for training on the front end. So
if you're buying from Xerox I'd expect the same sort of basic install,
with everything outside of placing it on your floor, powering it up and
running calibration sheets, to cost extra. I feel that I had a good
experience in the end, but mostly because I've been through
previous installs, and had a good familiarity with the equipment
being placed.

Hope this helps.

Find out if your click charge is higher on the refurbished vs new, if it is try to project your volume and see it it makes sense that way. Clicks for me are sometimes as much or more than the lease payment on our machines. Otherwise if Xerox is going to service it then what the heck, if it breaks, place a call. Oh, see if Xerox will project your maintenance agreement charges in the future, i.e. what will the increases be each year.

Maintenance & Guarantee

Maintenance & Guarantee

Thanks for the responses.

The maintenance click charge is the same as the new machine.
It's $100 per month plus $.059 per click for color,
or you can pay $180 per month and your click drops to $.049.

What you don't get from the equipment broker is the
Xerox three-year Total Satisfaction Guarantee,
which (as I understand it) replaces your machine with a similar machine
if it turns out to be a "lemon" and won't perform up to specs.

I doubt you can get the rates you mentioned, $100 and $0.0590 ... I think that rate is only when leasing directly from Xerox.

to double check, ask for the Serial Number of the unit you plan to purchase. with that, call Xerox and ask what service plans you can get. They will make sure the Serial Number is clean, and also they will charge an Initial Inspection before putting the machine in a Service Contract, that's because the unit is not coming directly from Xerox and who knows what issues it may have.

after that, you have service and supplies included, anything that happens with the equipment, Xerox will fix it.

Used equipment is a short term solution, over the long term there is a lot less stress with new. (as with anything, there is always the exception though... such as a low mileage machine)
you don't mention what business your in - are you a print-for-pay or a CRD?

used equipment + print-for-pay where your livelihood/food on the dinner plate depends on wether your machine is running or not = many sleepless nights wondering wether machine is going to be reliable and wether service entity is going to service it in a timely manner and, without argument.

though rarely done - service contracts can be canceled/voided by the service entity if there is too much repair work, specially when the machine was not purchased new from the servicing entity.

used copier support

used copier support

I'm considering purchasing a system similar to a Xerox 242/252, and I have received emails and faxes about used and refurbished machines.

Several of the emails say their machines are "100% Guaranteed for a Full Service Maintenance Agreement with Xerox." This would mean the exact same Xerox service people would work on my machine, no matter where I purchased it.

Does anybody have an experiences with this?

Thanks!

We previously had service taken over on used machines; no probs... they will charge an initial fee sometimes, and/or inspect first to see if its healthy. Xerox have national service people who all dealers use, as far as I know (software people are in Ireland). We are selling our brilliant Xerox240 top spec unit, 2 yrs old... need faster £60,000 machine. Have you been offered any used high-end machinery?

Ineo - the budget Konica range?

Ineo - the budget Konica range?

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of the Ineo range of Konicas? They are sold here by KM's German branch as 'Ineo' models, same as normal KM machines. High end machines for £25k

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back