Problem with Xerox DocuColor 252 prof finisher on Color 550?

sandersc

I have a Color 550 and are trying to finf a prof finisher for it, without any luck. A techy recommended that I must get a docucolor 252 prof finisher and connect that.

I did get one and connected it to the 550 and upgraded the printer software. After rebooting, it did recognize the finisher, but the motor of the middle tray keeps on running?

Why would this be? Any help or recommendations?

Sanders

Attachments

• photo8375.jpg
    photo8375.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 197
  • photo8376.jpg
    photo8376.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 196
My first guess is that while the finisher will run with your machine, they may not be completely compatible and your problem may be a result of that. I worked at a place where the owner would cannibalize a machine for parts for another model machine. If he could jam them in there and they worked, that was that. Never mind that they didn't work well or not for long.

My first guess is that while the finisher will run with your machine, they may not be completely compatible and your problem may be a result of that. I worked at a place where the owner would cannibalize a machine for parts for another model machine. If he could jam them in there and they worked, that was that. Never mind that they didn't work well or not for long.

This seems like the most probable guess. I'm not familiar with the 550 but my assumption would be that even if the 252 finisher appears physically identical to the one that the 550 was designed for, the finisher itself may at the very least require a different firmware in order to run at the appropriate speeds for the printer. Often though these finishers could have somewhat different parts and thus one should never assume that they can hot swap from a different model printer and have it work as the manufacturer intended.

Further, the Color 550 at glance (more current face plate) appears to be a newer device than the 252, so I would again gravitate towards that firmware idea I had...when the 252 came out the 550 wasn't available, therefore its factory firmware does not know what to do with the 550 (even if the 550 thinks it knows what to do with the 252 finisher). The OP's best bet is to buy the correct finisher for their machine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back