How Many Clicks Does Your Machine Have?

AP90

Hey guys,

Got to thinking about how much everyone on here actually uses their machines? Im always looking at stuff on eBay and Craigslist and it amazes me how many machines are being offered up with so little usage. I seem Versant 2100's and J75's with 300k clicks. 1000i's with under 1 million. Are these machines repo's and lemons? Or are their that many companies that are shutting down and the machines sold off? With so little usage i don't see how they could have paid the bills. We have a V3100 and right now were sitting at a 2.2 million clicks and have had the machine for about 14-15 months. Just curious what everyone elses meters are like and if were just fortunate enough to keep our machine running that much or if were normal and those other machines are way underutilized.

How much do you sell an unfinished sheet for? Lynx/Accent 12 x 18" 100# Cover 4:4. 250ish sheet quantity.

Your wanting to know our pricing for this I’m guessing? Don’t really know what it has to do with click counts but oh well. Am I selling to an end user or am I selling to a broker/shop?

We charge at least twice that. People have different profit margins on jobs, so they don't have to run as much. I think our J75 only had 6 million impressions (~15% BW) when they took it away.

We charge at least twice that. People have different profit margins on jobs, so they don't have to run as much. I think our J75 only had 6 million impressions (~15% BW) when they took it away.

I understand that. But I forsee very minimal situations where a V2100 or similar is turning a profit at 600k clicks over the life of a lease. Or at least profitable enough to keep a business going.

Well, I guess that's why they are for sale! Most likely companies that had their business model fail. Could be they bought 3 J75's and they lost a few accounts so they had to offload the third.

Wow I'm surprised it lasted that long. Our naughtier J75 has ~2.5 million, with 2 years left on the lease, with as many problems as it gives I have a hard time imagining what the next 2 years will do to it, if we don't replace it early. Certainly not one of those machines we would want to renew.

Our other J75 has about ~650k with 3 years left, no where near the problems of the other one of course. But I'm sure they're coming.

OTOH, we have a couple Docutech 6180s which I can't give 100% confidence what the meters are (they roll over at 10 million), but just based on the fact they came in here tired and used, and have been here for a long time regardless, and rolled over many times in my 12 years, I would not be surprised if there was 300 million on each of them.

But I agree with the OP, I see a lot of equipment on eBay or even refurb machines that get offered to us, with seemingly no volume on them...not sure how the original owner was even able to justify the purchase... My only guess would be used somewhere not in a print for pay environment, like a church/school. We were recently offered a Ricoh 8110 with like 800k on it? Lol.

Perhaps these guys figured out a way to reverse the counter number? I'm thinking of something similar to Ferris Bueller's Day Off with the Corvette...maybe feeding blank sheets from the finsiher back through the machine into the high capacity feeder? It's so crazy it just might work. Maybe this could be Gordo's next comic.

I see some places where they have low counts like that at the end of the term. Sometimes it's a place where they are using the prints as part of making another product or some are in offices or internal office print shops.

We are 5 years into our 2100 contract and have just over 8.5 million clicks, mostly 12.5x19 inch. You have to remember that there are many places who would install a machine like this and just use it for internal printing. The cost of the machine means nothing to them. They get a budget to spend and couldn't care less if it makes financial sense.

Our 2100 has had fewer service calls each year we have had it. When we first got it, the thing was a nightmare and has only gotten better. Now we can got 4-8 weeks without needing service.

Last edited:
We have our V80 18months and are at 1.4m. Previously we had a DC242 for 7/8yrs and that was 4m at the end.

Our V80 has 27 months and 625k, 60% color, 40% black and white.

We are a small print shop in a small town in Spain.

Perhaps these guys figured out a way to reverse the counter number? I'm thinking of something similar to Ferris Bueller's Day Off with the Corvette...maybe feeding blank sheets from the finsiher back through the machine into the high capacity feeder? It's so crazy it just might work. Maybe this could be Gordo's next comic.

Not to split hairs, but it was a Ferrari in FBDO....Che Bella ;)

When I was with Unisys, we had machines that would sit for weeks and then run 24 hours a day for 3 or 4 days to get a contract proposal out. Black and whites got some use on other things, but the color machines got virtually no clicks between proposals. We got a Konica 1060 that came off lease from a government contractor and had less than 200k. It was almost a brand new machine for 25% of the price.

over 4 million and some change on a j75. just upgraded to 3100 couple days ago. pretty good for small town Lafayette, IN

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back