Standard Finishing
4OverXerox

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended specialyy stocks for printing photos on the Xerox Versant 180?

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recommended specialyy stocks for printing photos on the Xerox Versant 180?

    Hi. Just wondering if anybody can recommend specialty papers for printing photos on the Versant 180. I'm not sure yet if they will need to be printed on a gloss or matte yet. When I say "specialty", I'm thinking something more exclusively geared towards photos, as opposed a standard gloss/matte cover stock. thx

  • #2
    I've tested this before and feel you won't get any better that a standard gloss card. At the end of the day its a production printer, just won't match a photo printer.

    from a distance they're grand but up close you notice everything.

    Comment


    • #3
      Mohawk Color Copy Ultra Gloss 8 Pt.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pippip View Post
        I've tested this before and feel you won't get any better that a standard gloss card. At the end of the day its a production printer, just won't match a photo printer.

        from a distance they're grand but up close you notice everything.
        +1

        I do not like digital presses for photos. Sure they are OK, but they are not great photo quality like an inkjet. I am sure whoever you buy papers from will have samples of various stocks for you to try so you can see what you like.

        Comment


        • #5
          When I need to print a good solid with minimal cracking when folded or something with quality on our Xerox Versant 80, out comes the 'Xerox Colotech + Silk'.

          Comment


          • #6
            When we print photos in our V80 we use a common 300/350 grs gloss cover, but the big problem is that toner is too much matt.

            So I have made a custom paper with fuser temp set to +10, now photos have some gloss, not so much, but it's something, and our customers preffers this kind of printing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CliffSpielman View Post
              Hi. Just wondering if anybody can recommend specialty papers for printing photos on the Versant 180. I'm not sure yet if they will need to be printed on a gloss or matte yet. When I say "specialty", I'm thinking something more exclusively geared towards photos, as opposed a standard gloss/matte cover stock. thx

              I have run Xerox machines for about 15 years.
              We have in our shop a have a Versant 2100 , Xerox 1000i and a Versant 3100 .
              So here is my 2 cents....and anyone correct me if they have had a different experience.

              You already have the Versant 180 so it is too late to change now.
              But as others have said ink base machine is the better option for photos.
              Something along the lines of an HP Indigo Digital Press

              Lets get back to the Versant 180.
              When you print on with this machine , a trained pressman will always be able to see all of the flaws.
              Your customer may see them too. People are very picky when it comes to Headshots , Zedcards or even Art Prints.
              Problems such as strobing, banding, problems with gradients , flesh-tones issues.
              Even getting a bad pattern in your print that looks like Linen ( on halftones) is all 100% expectable to Xerox Corporation.
              If the quality coming out is poor , then the paper wont matter.

              Next lets talk about paper options
              Xerox R & D is based on 11 X 17 - bond or offset - with a weight of 20 - 70 LB
              All other papers they will find a way to wiggle out of supporting them to a quality that you find acceptable.
              Knowing this you are on your own when it comes to quality issues on special stock.
              When researching stocks, at some point you will notice that the results will all look very much a like.
              This is because the toner is sitting on top of the paper and covers it.
              For example :
              100# Gloss Cover
              14pt Gloss Cover
              and even the thinner 100# Gloss Text / Book
              will all look almost exactly alike.

              So then you think maybe try going with a Kromekote High-Gloss Mirror Finish Paper
              This looks even worse, because it makes an effect of "reverse spot gloss".
              Once the toner lays down you have the same look again as your previous stocks.
              Then anyplace where there is not toner or white you see the paper coating shining through.
              No one wants a photo with eyeballs that are popping off the page .

              Next you say , OK, lets go the other way and do a silk paper or an uncoated.
              Wrong again because your toner has the sheen that will never go away.
              You will never be able to print a true matte.
              Client says "but I ordered matte"
              You will have to explain that this is as matte as the machine can do.

              It may sound like I hate Xerox machines.
              No , I am just sharing the cold hard truth that these machines have huge limits.
              The sales people talk them up and you never hear the truth.

              My advice is to use a 12 or 14 PT Gloss Cover.
              This is a standard and common paper.
              Get the machine up and running the very best quality that you can on this stock.
              Then make a few samples of headshots and art prints.
              Samples that represent jobs that you get request for......NOT test files from Xerox.
              Then keep those on hand to show your potential customers.
              That way you can set the expectations and they will be happy.

              Best Wishes, B










              Comment


              • #8
                In the context of making actual prints that resemble photos, you are correct these are really the wrong machines for that type of work.

                But I think you can get "close enough for grandma" on a decent gloss stock and stick it in a frame. In someone's hand it will probably never be super impressive, but they'd have to really look closely I think to get offended by it in a frame. If you can UV coat it, that does a good job of smoothing over flaws and giving them that "ooh shiny" feeling...but you probably wouldn't want that for any print that would be handled.

                If you only need a handful you might be better off just taking the photos to Wal Mart or anyone that still has one of those old photo printing stations...or you can still find photo processing businesses that will have a nice inkjet machine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sidneykidney View Post
                  When I need to print a good solid with minimal cracking when folded or something with quality on our Xerox Versant 80, out comes the 'Xerox Colotech + Silk'.
                  I'll check that paper out, thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PrintingFools View Post


                    I have run Xerox machines for about 15 years.
                    We have in our shop a have a Versant 2100 , Xerox 1000i and a Versant 3100 .
                    So here is my 2 cents....and anyone correct me if they have had a different experience.

                    You already have the Versant 180 so it is too late to change now.
                    But as others have said ink base machine is the better option for photos.
                    Something along the lines of an HP Indigo Digital Press

                    Lets get back to the Versant 180.
                    When you print on with this machine , a trained pressman will always be able to see all of the flaws.
                    Your customer may see them too. People are very picky when it comes to Headshots , Zedcards or even Art Prints.
                    Problems such as strobing, banding, problems with gradients , flesh-tones issues.
                    Even getting a bad pattern in your print that looks like Linen ( on halftones) is all 100% expectable to Xerox Corporation.
                    If the quality coming out is poor , then the paper wont matter.

                    Next lets talk about paper options
                    Xerox R & D is based on 11 X 17 - bond or offset - with a weight of 20 - 70 LB
                    All other papers they will find a way to wiggle out of supporting them to a quality that you find acceptable.
                    Knowing this you are on your own when it comes to quality issues on special stock.
                    When researching stocks, at some point you will notice that the results will all look very much a like.
                    This is because the toner is sitting on top of the paper and covers it.
                    For example :
                    100# Gloss Cover
                    14pt Gloss Cover
                    and even the thinner 100# Gloss Text / Book
                    will all look almost exactly alike.

                    So then you think maybe try going with a Kromekote High-Gloss Mirror Finish Paper
                    This looks even worse, because it makes an effect of "reverse spot gloss".
                    Once the toner lays down you have the same look again as your previous stocks.
                    Then anyplace where there is not toner or white you see the paper coating shining through.
                    No one wants a photo with eyeballs that are popping off the page .

                    Next you say , OK, lets go the other way and do a silk paper or an uncoated.
                    Wrong again because your toner has the sheen that will never go away.
                    You will never be able to print a true matte.
                    Client says "but I ordered matte"
                    You will have to explain that this is as matte as the machine can do.

                    It may sound like I hate Xerox machines.
                    No , I am just sharing the cold hard truth that these machines have huge limits.
                    The sales people talk them up and you never hear the truth.

                    My advice is to use a 12 or 14 PT Gloss Cover.
                    This is a standard and common paper.
                    Get the machine up and running the very best quality that you can on this stock.
                    Then make a few samples of headshots and art prints.
                    Samples that represent jobs that you get request for......NOT test files from Xerox.
                    Then keep those on hand to show your potential customers.
                    That way you can set the expectations and they will be happy.

                    Best Wishes, B









                    You don't come across like you hate Xerox machines. What you're saying makes sense.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I posted my original question since I'm trying to help a friend get started with a new business where she's contracted to take photos of real estate and/or buildings for engineering companies or maybe architectural companies - I still don't have all the current info. The thinking is that I can economically create her prints on my Versant 180. The way I described the quality on the Versant 180 is that it's probably as good or better than the $200 inkjet I have at home, but not close to what a professional photo printer or monster inkjet could do.

                      But, once we figure out the audience for these photos, we can decide what kind of quality is needed. I've also recommended she simply try Walgreen's online photo service. More expensive than to do 8x10 prints on my Versant 180 but they are likely better than what I can print.

                      I appreciate all the responses. I'll try some different stocks simply out of curiosity. But ultimately the decision will be up to my friend once she knows exactly what is needed.

                      Luckily my own work doesn't involve photos, and in general the Versant 180 for me has turned out to be darn good.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cliff,
                        I work in a photo lab / digital press store.
                        We use a Versant, A Fuji Frontier Photo Printer and an Epson Stylus Pro wide format. The Epson printers are a good choice for photo and as others have said the Xerox is not a photo printer. You should probably go with something like this:

                        Comment

                        4OverDuploCanonKBATharsternAvantiXeroxSmartsoft (Presswise)

                        Presswise Article

                        Collapse

                        Automated Order Status Tracking
                        In PressWise Workflow Solution


                        Presswise order status
                        Quick overview of the order status tracking feature on PressWise’s automated workflow solution

                        Link to Video

                        CanonDuploXeroxTharsternSmartsoft (Presswise)

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 6109 users online. 120 members and 5989 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 6,611 at 11:23 AM on 02-27-2019.

                        Working...
                        X